Breaking the rules

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Breaking the rules

Postby gururug » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:07 am

Has anyone here been fined riding there bike.

What was it for?
gururug

by BNA » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:53 am

BNA

Postby Mr888 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:53 am

I haven't been fined, but I have been pulled over at an RBT.

I was riding at night and had a variety of very bright lights. The officer said that he thought I was a very slow moving motorbike, but laughed and waved me off when he realised I was on a push bike.

I guess if you've have enough balance to be on a bicyle, then you're obviously not under the influence.
Mr888

Postby pugsly » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:47 am

No, but I broke a few laws this morning on the way to Elwood. The bike doesn't seem to trip off the sensor in the road for the traffic lights. So I was sitting at the red - nothing else around - thought stuff it, and rode through. So I ran a red light or two. :shock: :D I also did 55 in a 50 zone. :twisted:

As I've been building confidence riding on busy roads I do the odd riding on the footpath. I figure if I get fined it's a form of insurance :P I've found myself doing it less and less now.

I can't say I know of anyone that has copped a fine for anything.
pugsly

Postby bigkev » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:52 pm

I have been pulled over twice once for rideing 75km in a 50km area and the other is for doing 40 on a cycle /path and was told that 7km max is on any path .But if you get fined for anything all you have to do in if spopeeding no speedo needed so no judement of speed and rideing on a path you carnt be fined for unless it has a sign to stat you are not allowed to ride on the path
bigkev

Postby Bnej » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:52 pm

I get a shiny bauble fine every time I go into the LBS it seems. :oops:
Bnej

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:01 pm

bigkev wrote:I have been pulled over twice once for rideing 75km in a 50km area and the other is for doing 40 on a cycle /path and was told that 7km max is on any path .But if you get fined for anything all you have to do in if spopeeding no speedo needed so no judement of speed and rideing on a path you carnt be fined for unless it has a sign to stat you are not allowed to ride on the path

Kev, which state do you live in? Is the bike path sign posted for 7kmh ?

And I suppose that the motorists want you you to get off the road and use the 7kmh bike path.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby leojvs » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:51 pm

75 in a 50 zone??!!?? Geez man, thats a naughty speed! Good work.
oohhhh shiny new bike parts : -)
leojvs

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:59 am

Break the law? :shock: Us? *innocent look* Whatever do you mean?

Never fined, pulled up for 57/50 and told off :o , yelled at a few times.

There's only two road rules :twisted: ....

Don't hit anything.

Don't let anything hit you.

Shaun
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby sogood » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:42 am

Mr888 wrote:I guess if you've have enough balance to be on a bicyle, then you're obviously not under the influence.

Were you able to ride in a straight line at 2kph? The Cyclists' Sobriety Test. 8)
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:49 am

bigkev wrote:was told that 7km max is on any path...

Not true is it? 7km is my fast walking pace.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:53 am

Picture the policepeople hiding behind trees, nailing all those "hoon" joggers :roll:
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby JackHenry » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:59 pm

Just as a matter of interest RBT sites are for testing whether you are over the legal limit. The 'Limit' only applies to Motor Vehicles.

On the other hand, DUI (Driving Under the Influence) is for any vehicle. That is, you can be a one pot screamer, be under the legal limit, but still be intoxicated and legless.
JackHenry

Postby bigkev » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:47 pm

dui you can if you have a drivers lience get booked bo no if you dont because you do not have to known to road rules to be a cyclist but do to drive a car . loop hole in the law.
bigkev

Postby JackHenry » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:12 pm

I'm not sure how to tell you this but you know the old saying 'Ignorance of the law is no excuse'.

Whether you have a drivers licence or not, DUI is an offence on/in any vehicle. On a bike (or skate board). And if you do have a licence...Well you used to have one. :oops:
JackHenry

Postby bigkev » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:18 pm

i have a police officer as a freind with thoes small motor bikes thay sell you dont have to wear a helmet you can legaly ride on the road and nothing can be done but if you have a licence you know the law and you can be booked another instance of loop holes it is true if you dont have a drivers licence you carnt be booked if you dont know that is why bike must come with reflectors and bell because of the law you carnt say yyou did not know but no rules for the road i have not got a licence and been pulled over twice thay carnt do anything with out a omition of guilt .true.
bigkev

Postby Bnej » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:11 pm

If you're talking about "monkey bikes" (small recreational motorbikes), they're not road legal, you can't ride them on any public road, period. To ride on the road, it has to be a registered motor vehicle, a bicycle with power assistance of 200 watts maximum (must be human powered), or a mobility vehicle (old person cart).

And you can indeed be whomped with a fine for riding a prohibited vehicle on the road, with or without a driver's license.
Bnej

Postby JackHenry » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:24 am

Well bigkev, I can go you one better than having a 'friend' who is a police officer. Good luck with the ignorance defence when you get to court.
JackHenry

Postby tuco » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:55 am

Those little bikes are legal up here. There was a news story about them after many complains and the story said they can ride on the road and there was nothing the council could do to stop them.

And speaking of DUI, I had a customer come in yesterday with a broken arm. It happened on private property. He was the passenger in a paddock bomb, they were both pissed and the car hit a tree side on.
My customer broke his arm, they called 000, the ambo's and cops arrived and charged the driver with DUI even on private property.
tuco

Postby Bnej » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:04 am

Those little bikes are legal up here. There was a news story about them after many complains and the story said they can ride on the road and there was nothing the council could do to stop them.

Doesn't sound right. I mean, if it's a motor vehicle and it's unregistered, you'd be arrested for driving an unregistered vehicle minimum. Surely?
Bnej

Postby beauyboy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:12 am

In Qeensland Yes you can be booked on privite property now, this is because to many accidents were happening in Shopping center car parks and because they are privite property the law had no hold on there. It changer a few years back now.
As for those annoying little bikes are not allowed on the road without rego. Maybe the council can do nothing but surly the cops could.

Oh as for my naughty :P , I ride across pedestrian crossings instead of walking the bike across.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

Postby tuco » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:47 am

beauyboy wrote:In Qeensland Yes you can be booked on privite property now, this is because to many accidents were happening in Shopping center car parks and because they are privite property the law had no hold on there. It changer a few years back now.
As for those annoying little bikes are not allowed on the road without rego. Maybe the council can do nothing but surly the cops could.

Oh as for my naughty :P , I ride across pedestrian crossings instead of walking the bike across.

Donald

Surely that's a good case for ignorance of the law. Who else here knew you can now be booked on private property? (Excluding Jackhenry)

I had the second hand dealer cops telling I was supposed to do some such thing (forgotten what it was now) and I said since when?
They said the rule changed a few months back so I told them I wasn't told and I haven't got time to check every week to see if the SH act has changed. They agreed and said the system is crap.
I wasn't in trouble over this issue, it was so minor I forget what it was, they were just doing their regular checks.

And no, the cops also said they could ride on the roads. I only took note of it because we had two which rode past every evening at the same time. We could hear them approaching from about 2km away.

They were sold locally and I haven't seen any around for ages so maybe the local seller did the right thing and stopped selling them.
tuco

Return to General discussion