Front wheel repair?

generalyuehfei

Front wheel repair?

Postby generalyuehfei » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:26 am

Transporting my MTB on the weekend on the bike rack attached to a tow bar, I managed come down a little hard when going over one of those mammoth speed humps in Sydney. I saw the bike swing backwards.

Checked it out at home and spinning the front wheel there is a definite sideways kink to what I estimate a couple mm's. I haven't taken it out to check for how much vibration yet although was wondering whether these can be repaired?

The wheel is a Weinmann Disc Taurus 2000 Double Wall Black (judging by the spec sheet).

Regards, Nick

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:46 am

Depends. If the rim was platically deformed by the impact, then no amount of truing by spokes would fix that. You may be lucky but you'll need a wheel builder to assess that. Don't forget to check both the lateral and radial trueness.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:21 pm

I've been able to repair a few wheels with a panel beater's hammer. It will depend on the severity of the kink, but in most cases repairing a bad kink will result in a flat spot on the rim.

Luckily for you, this will not be a problem since you're using disk brakes. 8)
It's the Vibe, It's the Constitution, It's Mabo...it's all that...

generalyuehfei

Postby generalyuehfei » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:41 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have good news

The bike shop will repair the wheel as part of their free servicing agreement for purchasing the bike. I reckon it will be repairable as it is only a few mm's and as Mr888 said, yep disc brakes hence should be ok.

Regards, Nick