Circuit classes

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Circuit classes

Postby tuco » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:21 am

Has anyone been to circuit classes?

I'll thinking of giving them a try. I rang one today which had times which fitted in with work and was close (not that anything is actually far away in Townsville) but all I got was message bank. There's only the two guys running this show and they do a lot of other work around town.

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect?
tuco

by BNA » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:20 pm

BNA

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:20 pm

I'm the resident gym junkie. What do u want to acheive with the circuit class?

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby tuco » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:02 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I'm the resident gym junkie. What do u want to acheive with the circuit class?

Basically lose body fat, generally tone up but that'll show when the body fat drops off and probably most importantly improve my cardiovascular fitness. I'm trying to avoid full on gym work as I fairly solid now. Just have to get rid of the 10kg around my waist.
I'd like to do something different to just cycling, add a little variety to my exercising.

So far my exercise routine is not routine.
Richard will shoot my down in flames for saying this but the weather has been against me. During the wet season in the tropics in tends to rain in the late afternoon, usually just as I'm getting home and I prefer to not ride in the rain.
The whole family walks up and down steep walking tracks but once again that is affected by the late afternoon rain.
I've just started some jogging on the tread mill. I used to do a lot of running but had a staple taken out of my knee mid last year (which lead me to cycling)
I don't have a very active job stuck in this shop all day.

Short answer - variety in training, lose weight and improve overall fitness.

Ultimate goal - I want to say, "What hill, I didn't notice a hill." :D
tuco

Postby europa » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:58 pm

Just go for lots and lots of long, slow rides Tuco :twisted:

Richard
resident sook :roll:
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:01 pm

I'd say definently go for it, but don't reduce your cycling because of it.

Circuit is for some and not for others, it combines a variety of things to do, so you get a sampling of everything. Calorie burn will not be as great as a pure cardio exercise such as running, however you gain indirectly by having a all round better body that will burn incidental calories away from the gym.

What different instructors do will vary, so you make like what they do or you may not. If you find its not for you, then you can always move on.

Loosing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise but you need both to succeed. Not saying that you need to eat lettice leaves, lets leave starvation to others. I'd really recommend that you start a food log, using www.fitday.com I used this for a while and leart heaps about my eating habits.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:20 pm

How's about swimming? Apparently it is very good for weightloss and doesn't stress anything. We bought a thing that you wear round your waist and tie to the fence - kinda like a bungy cord. I use it in our pool and can swim for an hour, technically without going anywhere.

Yeah I know, I like a wind trainer too and yeah, this is pretty much the same and yeah, some people will find it boring. Bit the same as watching a black line at the big pool, but at least I don't have to pay to use my own pool.

It only cost about $20 and has been worth it.

Moo...
moosterbounce

Postby europa » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:48 pm

I found circuit to be an utter waste of time. It really made no difference to me in anyway, and I was working pretty hard. Perhaps it's the old 'working too hard' business again. Anyway, cycling has been far more productive.

Richard
europa

Postby Halfanewb » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:21 pm

Ive got the perfect way for you to loose weight , its called the "no food for fatboy" diet :D

A general guide i follow is carbs for breakfast and never after lunch, fruit for lunch , protein and veges (no spuds) for dinner , get your dairy from low fat milk, stay away from cheese (30% fat) and don't go near any butter or marg. I used to drink heaps of coffee and tea, now they are a reward drink ( cant seem to stomach them without sugar ) when i need a caffeine fix i drink a popular sugarless cola.

Before you pop that treat into the laughing gear think long and hard about the extra k's your going to have to cycle tomorrow. If your meal portions are leaving you feeling hungry , chew your food more, seriously!

Cadence is your friend - the biggest muscles in your body are in the legs so spin them babies, its taken a while but now i ride 50k per day on the 38/14-15-16 combo, i'm feeling pretty sorry for myself at the end but it makes all the difference. While your riding concentrate on pushing from your abs, you will know your doing it right when your body starts to twist slightly with each pedal stroke, this will tighten that tummy and after a while you will have a nice V shaped set of muscles where the flab used to be.

Stick with it ! most folks can loose about 1kg per week on average , if you are feeling disheartened buy two 500g packs of butter and pull them out of the fridge and view them, nothing like seeing something concrete to give you an idea of your accomplishment ! :)
Halfanewb

Postby sogood » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:40 pm

tuco wrote:Basically lose body fat, generally tone up but that'll show when the body fat drops off and probably most importantly improve my cardiovascular fitness.

Look at those endurance riders and marathoners, there are no fat guys in there. And so here's your salvation... Go on regular hard endurance rides greater than 2-3 hours and don't eat excessively after the ride and control your diet rest of the time.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:03 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I'd say definently go for it, but don't reduce your cycling because of it.
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby seddo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:35 pm

my two cents worth

see a Dietician and change your exercise routine every six weeks(as your muscle groups get use to the one form of exercise) exercise before brekky to kickstart the metabolism for the day - this basic plan helped me lose 30kgs in 7 months - exercise routines used - Spinbiking (AT) least 30 mins with light repetitive weights after, swimming worked my way up to 2.5kms and walking 6kms
seddo

Postby tuco » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:27 pm

Good info people.

I took the girls down and up one of the locals steep bush tracks.
Coming up we ran (slowly due to the steepness) until out of breath, rested until HR dropped then headed up again.
We did that most of the way up.
That was a really good work out.

Never liked swimming. We have a pool but it's for relaxing.

I love milk and cheese but I'll have to cut back there.

Even though it's probably going to speed up the process, I can't be bothered with the carbs and protein calculations.
If I feel hungry (not starving) then I'm on the right track.

I'll get there. I just thought circuit classes would give me a workout without feeling like a workout. I have weights and do use them but they can get dull.
tuco

Postby Halfanewb » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:26 pm

tuco wrote:Even though it's probably going to speed up the process, I can't be bothered with the carbs and protein calculations.
If I feel hungry (not starving) then I'm on the right track.

I hear ya Tuco i didnt go into it that much myself but a little knowledge is power.

Carbohydrates are packed with energy , hmm i wonder where i've heard that before (most breakfast commercials) you want to eat them at the start of the day so your body has the fuel for the day but you don't want a lot of energy as your day winds down cause the body converts unused carbs to fats very efficiently. so thats why no carbs after lunch.

I eat fruit for lunch (I love bananas which are filling) they have natural sugars that will see you through the remainder of the day.

After riding a lot during the day, at night while i'm asleep my body needs to regenerate muscle and bone tissue, your bones make your blood cells and all of these suffer wear during hard work/workouts so dinner is the raw materials for these processes , protein vitamins and calcium.

Cadence is a good way to cycle, your lungs start cleaning themselves out and get more efficient at transferring the oxygen to your blood. The higher heart rate increases pressure and blood flow rate along your veins and arteries .
This increased flow rate starts to clear the gunk that has built up along the inside hardening your arteries/veins , as this gets cleared away (by friction) your plumbing will become elastic again and will be able to deliver larger volumes of blood around the body without huge pressure. thats why very fit people have lower blood pressure.

It doesn't have to be rocket science, a little common sense goes a long way :)
Last edited by Halfanewb on Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halfanewb

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:29 pm

You could always follow my training schedule, as per my training log.

On the food side, assuming your don't do something really sensible as per seddo's suggestion to visit a Dietician, I'd do the following;
- Reduce carbs, in particular sugar
- Don't drink your calories
- Increase protein intake
Carbs don't fill you up, thats why low fat diets often fail, because the fat is replaced with sugar. Often the calories in a low fat product are higher than the traditional product. Having said that some of the low fat hard cheeses are a genuine fat reduction without a carb increase.

How many calories did you bun on the run up the local steep bush track, I'd bet is less than those in a 600ml bottle of soft drink. Drink water, leave the booze and softies in the shop/bottle store.

Protein builds your body and is less likely to be converted to fat, like carbs or fat is.

You think that circuit is going to motovate you, then thats more than enough reason to do it.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby europa » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:22 pm

seddo wrote: and change your exercise routine every six weeks(as your muscle groups get use to the one form of exercise)

Haven't heard that one before. Makes sense though. Good thing my routine is along the lines of 'what the fluff do I want to do today?' :roll:

exercise before brekky to kickstart the metabolism for the day

That's another new one to me and one that'd fit my lifestyle perfectly. Might even reduce the time wasted on here in the morning. :wink: But, does it work and what difference does it make?

Richard
europa

Postby seddo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:40 am

europa wrote:
seddo wrote: and change your exercise routine every six weeks(as your muscle groups get use to the one form of exercise)

Haven't heard that one before. Makes sense though. Good thing my routine is along the lines of 'what the fluff do I want to do today?' :roll:

exercise before brekky to kickstart the metabolism for the day

That's another new one to me and one that'd fit my lifestyle perfectly. Might even reduce the time wasted on here in the morning. :wink: But, does it work and what difference does it make?

Richard

Definitely works as mentioned in my original post lost 30kgs in 7 months - which brings up another issue -don't be in a rush to lose weight - apparently some studies have shown that people that lose weight fast tend to put the weight back on + more - the Heart foundation recommend- aim to lose approximately 2 kgs a month.

cheers
Seddo
seddo

Postby tuco » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:59 am

mikesbytes wrote:How many calories did you bun on the run up the local steep bush track, I'd bet is less than those in a 600ml bottle of soft drink. Drink water, leave the booze and softies in the shop/bottle store.

Hard to calculate but using the fitday activity page I have estimated 400 cal.
It took an hour, it's about 250m down in altitude and then back up and about 3km round trip. Coming up was half jogging and half walking. We jogged to the burning muscle point than stopped and rested.
tuco

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 am

There would be a degree of inaccuracy with the fitday calcuation, but it does show how important diet is.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby tuco » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:45 am

mikesbytes wrote:There would be a degree of inaccuracy with the fitday calcuation, but it does show how important diet is.

Diet side of the site it interesting, pity it's not metric.
tuco

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:29 am

tuco wrote:pity it's not metric.

+1

Metric with a list of Aussie foods would be worth paying for.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby tuco » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:38 am

Even with the imperial system, I thought I check out a few things I do eat.

Looks like the large glass of milk in the morning is out - 225 cal!!!!

Assuming it is accurate so far today I've used 200 cal (in exercise not including basal metabolic rate) more than I've consumed.

Is this a bad thing? Surely it should be higher to take into account the basal metabolic rate.
tuco

Postby europa » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:50 am

You chubby little munchkin you :D

I think you need to be fairly dedicated to play these games. I'm not saying they don't work, they obviously do, but when you look at the amount of data needed and the errors induced by missing stuff out, it appears to me that you go either facts and figures (like mike with his diaries) or instinctive. Trying to mix the two can be a path to madness, unless you can treat it all as a very general guide.

I did an interesting experiment the other night. My HRM, like most of them, has a calorie counter. Sure, it's guesswork but in the absence of anything better, I'm making the assumption that the figures are useable, and seeing it's reading MY efforts and is based on my age and weight, probably more useful that a generalised chart. I then measured how much my favourite wine glass holds, and found a site that gives average calories contained in various foods. The idea was to find out how long I need to ride to burn the same number of calories as in a glass of red wine. I then jumped on my trainer and started pedalling.

At a cadence of 90+ and HR of 140, I need to ride for twenty minutes to burn off a glass of wine.

As Mike often says, don't drink your calories :D ... but it's fun :cry:

Richard
europa

Postby Halfanewb » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:32 pm

tuco wrote: Surely it should be higher to take into account the basal metabolic rate.

Back in the day when they used to generalize everything i remember being told that the average calorie consumption of a body at "rest" was approx 1200 calories/24 hrs . nowadays it gets more complicated and i'm sure a lot more accurate! here is a link to downloadable program which might be some use.
its not a bad tool , designed to show you how many calories u need to eat to maintain your current weight , so calorie intake under the quoted number " should" result in weight loss.
http://www.getfreesofts.com/soft/966/12 ... lator.html
Halfanewb

Postby tuco » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:44 pm

Missed the circuit class by that much!

I was ready to leave work 10 minutes early then had a customer enter the shop and he made me get to the class too late. The warm up was over so I watched for awhile to get an idea of what happens then rode home.

Looks like it's for me. There was even a few guys there older than me.
It was at a basketball stadium and there were a quite a few youngish basketball looking women training (well there were freakishly tall). Good exercise for my eyes.
tuco

Postby rider06 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

if you're after a computer program which you can use as a food diary check out "foodworks" - it has australian foods in it, including fast foods and most supermarket products and will give quantities of energy in kilojoules. you can get a free trial download to see if it helps. i think it even gives you the proportion of protein, fat etc in your diet: wwwdotxyrisdotcomdotau (or google foodworks, look for xyris site)
and no i don't work for them, just had to use it for uni last year - its scary how long you have to ride for to burn off a friday night on the grog...
rider06

Next

Return to General discussion