Anybody tried Yoga?

gdl_gdl

Anybody tried Yoga?

Postby gdl_gdl » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:05 pm

My colleagues at work have arranged a weekly Yoga class at lunchtime. Anybody tried Yoga? Experiences, benefits?

They had the first class this week which was 100% female but there's a few blokes who are thinking of giving it a shot next week.

Cheers,

Gary

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:09 pm

I did Iyengar Yoga for a while...don't do it here in France but found it very good for my posture on and off the bike.So thumbs up for me....my instuctor was very good,did have a couple of fill in instructors but they got a bit too mystical for me :roll:

JustinD

Postby JustinD » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:48 am

I did yoga for a bit but when I had IT band problems it became uncomfortable. I have since moved on to Pilates with a reformer board and find it excellent. I am still doing this at the same place and find it helps more with core, butt and leg strength. I also was happy to move from yoga as I did find the instructors a little too full of themselves. Pilates is a little more "down-to-earth" from an instructor perspective. This, of course, could be completely different at another place.
Justin
------------
Trek 5.2
Specialized Rockhopper '93 vintage & commuter
early 80s Gitane 531 road bike (work in progress to flat bar )

Sharpie

Postby Sharpie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:26 am

I did Bikram Yoga. It was excellent, I certainly gained some flexibilty.

It was bloody hard though and talk about loose some fluid!

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:39 am

Yes, was doing it weekly up until a month ago when I fractured my wrist.

Its great. Good for flexibility and a bit of core strength, although its a lot more beneficial if you can practice more than once per week (even if just for 15 mins or so). Give it a shot...

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:42 am

I Absolutely swear by yoga.

Started about 5 months ago (dont know what type of yoga) when one of the ladies in our group started instructing. Thought I'd give it a go to support her and was expecting a few light stretches and some relaxation stuff.....man was I wrong!!!!!

After that 1st class I couldnt move for 2 days :lol: absolutely love it now, and the improvements in my flexibility and most surprisingly my strength have been amasing.

Give it a go, at the worst its a good laugh trying to do the laughing baby!!!!
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:17 pm

I think it was pilates - maybe yoga...

but massaged a chick that did lots of it, her body was a complete rock!!!
IMHO thats really really a bad thing... all the muscles were tense all the time... too bad if they're not in place!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:42 pm

I usually do Hatha Yoga. I find it very complimentary to sports cycling.

All female. That's a shame, looks like you'll have to put up with woman dressed in tight lycra stretching their bodies in close proximity to you.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:16 pm

Yoga is bloody unreal for addressing the leg/lower back flexibility issues we cyclists (and in my case runners) face.

My wife got me into it and I swear by it.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:13 am

All female. That's a shame, looks like you'll have to put up with woman dressed in tight lycra stretching their bodies in close proximity to you.

I know Mike, it's a dirty job but somebody's got to do it! :wink:

I've managed to find another bloke to attend as well so Im not the only one, I was amazed at the sniggering amongst my (male) work colleagues when I tried to get people to attend!!!

Cheers,

Gary

Simone Inns

Postby Simone Inns » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi all I previously for many years rode bikes both road and track and am now an Iyengar Teacher. I have taught many professional sporting personal and have had amazing results. I have opened an Iyengar Centre on the Gold Coast (built to international standards) - Chevron Island Yoga Centre (google to find centre) and am happy to do a group discount. Try it and you will love it.

bJay

Postby bJay » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:22 pm

What would be best for improving core strenght, yoga or pilates or some other thing I havent thought of?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:31 pm

bJay wrote:What would be best for improving core strenght, yoga or pilates or some other thing I havent thought of?
Both Yoga and Pilates are good for improving core. Results will vary with the instructor as there's a lot of variation in both.

Also;
- Full Squats
- Running
- Boxercise
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?