cleats/clipping in

der Ungar

Postby der Ungar » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:25 pm

Well, I fell off through not unclipping on my first ride home with the new bike from my LBS - figured I'd get in early!

I found my local crit track a great place to practice clipping in and out. Headed out there at 5.30 a.m. and spent an hour at a time, 3 times a week, just getting used to the bike, pedals, shoes etc. It was great for building confidence, and some bike fitness, after years of not riding. After a few weeks I headed out on the road and haven't had any real issues since. I think my fear of falling over is keeping me from forgetting to clip out...so far...

Cheers...Michael
I might be paranoid, but it doesn't mean that people aren't out to get me.
08 Orbea Dauphine

vanilla

Postby vanilla » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:51 pm

A good way to break yourself in is to ride around with only one shoe locked in then as u feel more comfortable lock the other in.Follow this with a decent ride on the loosest setting and tighten as the confidence grows . I moved to cleats after knee surgery when I noticed fraying on my straps from my knees twisting under load - huge improvement

Morz

Postby Morz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:56 pm

I went out and bought clipless pedals and shoes today. Jeez they made a huge difference. On a flattish run I increased my average speed by 7km/h. Being able to apply power throughout the entire pedal stroke makes a big difference.

I had my obligatory stack about two minutes after I installed the pedals. There's about path between my house and garage that's about a meter and a half wide. Perfect. So I was leaning against the house practicing clipping in and out. On the garage side there's a side door, so I could brace myself on both sides. Only problem was the door was open. So down I fall into the open doorway.

I set my pedals to the loosest setting. I usually take off with one foot in and the other on top of the pedal and clip in when I have some momentum. On the SPD pedals if they are loose I've found your foot just clips in by itself once you get going.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:28 am

Morz wrote:I went out and bought clipless pedals and shoes today. Jeez they made a huge difference. On a flattish run I increased my average speed by 7km/h. Being able to apply power throughout the entire pedal stroke makes a big difference.

I had my obligatory stack about two minutes after I installed the pedals. There's about path between my house and garage that's about a meter and a half wide. Perfect. So I was leaning against the house practicing clipping in and out. On the garage side there's a side door, so I could brace myself on both sides. Only problem was the door was open. So down I fall into the open doorway.

I set my pedals to the loosest setting. I usually take off with one foot in and the other on top of the pedal and clip in when I have some momentum. On the SPD pedals if they are loose I've found your foot just clips in by itself once you get going.
That's one fall down, welcome to the club. You won't go back - even if you have another fall. Shouldn't take you long to be clipping in straight off the mark too - it's the unclipping that'll take a little more time to get 100% second-nature.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

squeakywheel

Postby squeakywheel » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:54 am

One of the reasons I was bit worried about getting clip-ins is because of this:
As I was finishing the Gong Ride last year, a couple were going over the finish line in front of me. The girl came to a graceful dismount , but the guy seemed to do this slow motion topple over (luckily onto soft grass), still attached to his bike. His female partner remarked dryly "great finish". This left the guy spluttering that he couldnt unhook.
Funny, but pretty emabrrassing for the fellow.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:23 am

nikkie wrote:One of the reasons I was bit worried about getting clip-ins is because of this:
As I was finishing the Gong Ride last year, a couple were going over the finish line in front of me. The girl came to a graceful dismount , but the guy seemed to do this slow motion topple over (luckily onto soft grass), still attached to his bike. His female partner remarked dryly "great finish". This left the guy spluttering that he couldnt unhook.
Probably because the guy haven't been using his clipless for long and when the body is tired and distracted, it's easy to forget the routine before the stop.

So get plenty of practice (falling) on your clipless before that big ride! :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:25 pm

nikkie wrote:One of the reasons I was bit worried about getting clip-ins is because of this:
Funny, but pretty emabrrassing for the fellow.
There's a silver lining to every cloud. Topples like this are just slow-motion practice of the relax and roll drill you need for protection in higher speed crashes. :lol:
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

MustangSally187

Postby MustangSally187 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:52 am

I've got them and would never go back. They allow you to also use the upward movement as a pull and generate forward momentum.

I've only ever had one stack with them, and that was in my driveway, pretty funny really. I clipped in and went to take off without realizing my chain wasn't on. I fell straight over.

heapsfun

Postby heapsfun » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:24 pm

This morning I bought my first drop bar road bike and made this the time to go clipless.

Fortunately it is raining today and I haven't had to go outside and try them in the great outdoors but I am going fine clipping and unclipping on my trainer :D

And I have to have to say that even on the trainer they feel GREAT!

It is nice to read all the advice - one thing I read was to just stand over the frame and practise clipping and unclipping before actually getting mobile so you are confident with the feel of clipping in and out.
Slow and STUBBORN wins my race

a_b

Postby a_b » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:47 am

your pretty much guaranteed a fall when clipping out stationary, unless you can grab hold of something. I stacked twice in my bedroom trying to unclip leaning against the wall. :(
Avanti Giro 08

Postman Pat

Postby Postman Pat » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:27 am

a_b wrote:your pretty much guaranteed a fall when clipping out stationary, unless you can grab hold of something. I stacked twice in my bedroom trying to unclip leaning against the wall. :(
I can't get past the front door while riding but you make it to your bedroom don't your family object to you riding in the house? :shock: :lol:

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:16 am

Postman Pat wrote:
a_b wrote:your pretty much guaranteed a fall when clipping out stationary, unless you can grab hold of something. I stacked twice in my bedroom trying to unclip leaning against the wall. :(
I can't get past the front door while riding but you make it to your bedroom don't your family object to you riding in the house? :shock: :lol:
What sort of example is that for the Kids???? How can you tell them not to ride their scooters up and down the hallway now?
Andrew