mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:10 pm

Your not exercising enough. Exercise invigorates u

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:41 pm

Hey Richard, why don't you go help Mike dig that trench and build the rabbit wall! :lol:
It's the Vibe, It's the Constitution, It's Mabo...it's all that...

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:09 pm

Pah. Heathens.

Rode into town to watch my son play soccer today (bit over 20km). That was okay. Coming home though, I had to climb Flagstaff Hill. Okay, I've done it before, and whinged about it on here. It's a three stage hill - a km long slow climb to the base of it, an extremely steep bit for about half a km (the Falcon takes a deep breath getting up it), then a long, steep climb to the top. Normally I have to stop on the steep bit (you see a lot of people walking it, saw me walking it one day). Today though, I got into bottom gear right at the bottom and up I went, and up and up. The heart rate passed 180 very quickly then settled at 184-187 (bearing in mind I'm 50). I reckon I spent a good ten minutes at that HR :shock: Rolled over the crest onto the less extreme bit (a solid climb in its own right) then attacked the long climb to the top. Got about two thirds of the way up that bit but had to stop - the HR was now in the mid 170's but I had no energy left. Had a good gasp and let the HR drop right down, then finished the climb and the 5km (mostly uphill) to home after the top.

Man was I stuffed. And sore. I have muscles (in my neck, shoulders, back and arms) queuing up to take their turn at feeling sore.

A big step forward - a bit more energy and I would have made it all the way up in one hit. But beating that first section is a real buzz because that's a bastard of a climb.

I've decided I'll spend the afternoon keeping the cat comfortable and hoping the V8 Supercars are interesting.

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:12 pm

This is where my new 22T granny gear comes in handy :D

Now if I could only get the stupid derailleur to stop twisting when changing down. I'm ordering a new one tomorrow, it should be here in the usual time, 9 months.....

europa

Postby europa » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:25 pm

Just ran it through bikely - didn't save it for a variety of reasons. The climb is 160m in 3km. Okay, not the nastiest thing on this earth (Education Rd behind me is worse ... and longer) but it's plenty bad enough.

The steep bit climbs 78m in 400m according to bikely. The next 800m puts on an extra 48m.

Richard

leojvs

Postby leojvs » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:48 pm

geez man, that heart was a-pumping! im wrecked today, but I have to replace a section of the lounge room wall, due to a bloody leak we had o the storm on Thursday night. Waititn for the sealer to dry, before saning, re coating, sanding, top coating, and painting. Me thinks it wot get done today. As hot as it is, it wont dry fast enough. No cycling today though. Why arent my cats as smart as yours? Here kitty, replace that plaster
oohhhh shiny new bike parts : -)

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:11 pm

europa wrote:Rode into town to watch my son play soccer today (bit over 20km). That was okay. Coming home though, I had to climb Flagstaff Hill. Okay, I've done it before, and whinged about it on here. It's a three stage hill...
Did you earlier suggest that Adelaide is a good city for cycle commuting? :shock:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:54 pm

sogood wrote:
europa wrote:Rode into town to watch my son play soccer today (bit over 20km). That was okay. Coming home though, I had to climb Flagstaff Hill. Okay, I've done it before, and whinged about it on here. It's a three stage hill...
Did you earlier suggest that Adelaide is a good city for cycle commuting? :shock:
if by "good" you mean "will build muscle, endurance, and most of all character, while keeping you too wrecked to actually go out and do much damage to yourself thereafter, hence you'll be just about rejuvenated for doing the same monster hills the next day" then i suppose, yeah, Adelaide should be great!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:12 pm

Is that the one that goes upto that german town ?

europa

Postby europa » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:17 pm

No Mike, this is one of the roads south.

Richard

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:26 pm

You should have saved it!
I just had a quick look at it - there's a really nasty bit about halfway up. :shock:
ps. I didn't save it either.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:58 pm

europa wrote:No Mike, this is one of the roads south.

Richard
Via the German town would make a good spin before work.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

europa

Postby europa » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:18 am

Recovery ride today. Dropped the lad at school, then parked at the Sturt Triangle (near the base of that flamin' hill). Followed the River Sturt Linear Park to Glenelg, the City West Bike Trail (along the old railway line) back towards the city, then the Mitchel Park Bike Way back to my car. That is the beauty of Adelaide, while there are some good hills, so much of it is flat, perfect riding territory. Only 17 km as it turned out, but dead flat so I was able to potter along keeping the HR below 120 while still maintaining a reasonable cadence. Leg's feel fine. Back and neck still a wee bit tired.

The plan for tomorrow? Park in the same place (ie, avoid the big climbs). Same route to Glenelg but then across to the Torrens Linear Park, back to the city along the Linear Park which is a route that climbs gently and steadily all the way but is up and down along the banks of the river so you aren't just sitting and puttering, then steady back to the car. Push the HR up into the next zone (110-130) which means I'll keep it ticking around the 130 mark and let it drift to 140 when working a bit. Should finish the recovery, ready for a good, solid run on wed night when the lad's at soccer training, then a rest day and attack the hills along the Southern Expressway on friday.

See, got my week planned and it's only monday morning. Wonder what'll actually happen? (doncha love suspense :D )

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:22 am

Improved diet can also help with tiredness. The body will bounce back better if it has the right materials to rebuild the damage.

AND I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT SOME SUGAR LADEN ENERGY RECOVERY DRINK.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

europa

Postby europa » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:27 am

Yeah. Diet. Mine suffered a tad yesterday. For some strange reason, I was hungry, and nibbled, and being at the wrong end of the shopping cycle, didn't have a huge choice so ...

Arr, I'll get there. One thing at a time. At least I felt guilty when I tucked into that packet of rice crisps :D

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:28 pm

I too am planning some decent hilly rides, and the one near home in particular is Shephards Hill Road from the base to Blackwood (for Adelaide people). This saturday will be the first go.

Richard, you mentioned the "bikely" - what is that ?

I'm curious as to what the length and height of the climb is to Blackwood.

Wish me luck

Cheers

Michael B

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:54 pm

I've put the climb up Shepherd's Hill Road in www.bikely.com (which is what Richard meant by 'bikely'). It's a great toy! I don't have any info regarding traffic lights etc. so you might want to create your own version. There's also an entry in the Hill Climbsof www.cycle2max.com, but it seems to be only half way to Blackwood (which might get a bit busy!).

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:55 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Richard, you mentioned the "bikely" - what is that ?
Just found it - very cool. Just put in the route. 25.4km round trip from my place, a climb of 310 metres, with half of it coming in a distance of 5km !! Granny gear time.

Seeing it makes me even more enthused !!

Cheers

Michael B

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:59 pm

It looks like we were playing with bikely at the same time!

europa

Postby europa » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:21 pm

Shepherd's Hill Road will test you out - it's steep and it's long. Glad it's you not me :D

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:40 pm

I have no illusions about getting up with energy to spare. Plan is to try and keep going. If all else fails, turn around and coast home :lol:

The plan is 5am start and keep going..........

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:48 pm

Michael, if you go back to bikely and make your route 'visible to all' we will be able to see it - then, we can send you the right 'kind thoughts' at the right times during your ride.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:08 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:Michael, if you go back to bikely and make your route 'visible to all' we will be able to see it - then, we can send you the right 'kind thoughts' at the right times during your ride.
Done. The user name is MichaelB.

I have done it for my morning rides that I do, as well as the Michael's Big climb test

Funnily enough, my morning ride is only 26.5km according to the bike comp. Will have to check out the accuracy and set it up properly. I like it if I'm travelling further than I thought, as it means I 'm going fatser as well !!!!

Michael B

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:46 am

Well, based on what Bikely mentioned, I got eager and corrected my bike computer wheel size (2.7% high) and did my "Morning Flat Run" training ride this morning, nad the comp now reckons that it is 29.06km, whereas bikely thinks it is 29.2km, so based on that, I think it is accurate now !!

Within 0.5% - much better but of course the speed is now lower ..., but having learnt the importance of cadence, am now focussing on that !!

Cheers

Michael B