Lucky escape.....

531db

Lucky escape.....

Postby 531db » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:40 pm

I recently purchased a new doodad (2 actually) called a Minoura SpaceGrip. This is a gadget that clamps onto the handlebars of your bike to carry multiple lights etc, that would otherwise take up too much space on the bars. Just the thing for long Audax rides apparently, and with me doing a 600km this upcoming weekend I decided to try one out.
Here is a picture and details of one.

www.minoura.co.jp/ace-e.html

Anyway I rigged one up on the trusty Repco, loaded on my expensive ($110) Cateye Opticube HL-EL500 and not so expensive ($35) Tioga LED lights and went out for a bit of a test ride this afternoon.
All seemed well, it stayed in place despite carrying a fair load (the Cateye is large and heavy), glanced down at my computer at about 25km to see the SpaceGrip come apart where the screws go into the black plastic at the sides.

Expensive lights on the mounting rail hurtle downwards, but fortunately snag one of the STI brifter cables slowing it sufficiently for me to "catch".

Lights saved, I head home with the LED lights and remainder of the SpaceGrip in my jersey back pockets to figure out how and why.

It seems that despite properly tightening the previously mentioned screws, they have vibrated loose and unbeknown to me left the scene.

It was pure luck that I did not trash my lights.

The fix - in the short term, I pinched the screws from the second SpaceGrip, reasembled it and put about 5 of 6 winds of electrical tape over the screws, then cable tied it, then layed a few more winds of electrical tape over that. This SpaceGrip ain't going nowhere now baby!

In the longer term the now screwless second SpaceGrip will end up with a long bolt with double locknuts going through the whole shebang to ensure it all stays together. For good measure, a cable tie and electrical tape will add redundancy.

The moral of the story. If you have a new bit of gear, try it out before you line up for an audax/race/ride etc where you just can't afford to have it fail.

531db

Postby 531db » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:42 pm

Correct URL for SpaceGrip is

www.minoura.co.jp/acc-e.html

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:49 pm

Try a drop of loctite on each screw thread, that will normally prevent vibration loosening.