When changing pedals....

open topic, for anything cycling related.

When changing pedals....

Postby MAD GREEK » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:11 pm

Just wondering, if I change my pedals from SPD to SPD-SL's, and also change my shoes...do I need to get my bike readjusted???

Does anyone recommend a place in Adelaide if need be?
MAD GREEK

by BNA » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:14 pm

BNA

Postby europa » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:14 pm

You don't need your bike readjusted but you will need to adjust the cleats on your shoes to suit. You can do that yourself as others have done - it will cost you if you get the bikeshop to do it, unless you include it in the deal when you buy the shoes/pedals.

Richard
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:25 pm

Just a question mate? Why are you changing from SPDs? They are perfectly adequate for anything outside racing and you can walk in the shoes (something my son now bitches about - he's got them that you can't walk in).

I also like having pedals I can ride in with normal shoes - sure, it's something I've only had to do once in the six months I've had them, but that one time paid for the pedals.

Richard
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby MAD GREEK » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:51 pm

I bought a new MTB, and they have SPD...so I was using the one pair of shoes with both bikes. I went in to get some MTB shoes. And ended up getting convinced to get the SPD shoes for the MTB, and getting a better shoes/pedal for the Roadie. Plus I had store credit, so the price brings it down.
MAD GREEK

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:52 pm

You might find the shoes/cleats/pedal combo to be a little thicker or thiner, which would require the seat to be adjused by a couple of mm.

Setting the cleats correctly is a little more difficult, so it would be good to get someone experienced to review them with you.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby 531db » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:46 pm

Look style (Delta, Keo and the close but incompatable cleat ripoffs - Shimano, Wellgo etc) usually have a higher ball of foot to pedal axle stackheight than SPD's. This because road shoes often (but not always)have a thicker sole than MTB shoes, plus the cleat sits proud, rather than is recessed. I have a 3-4 increase in saddle height for Look style to compensate between Specialized road shoes/Look Delta cleats/Look P166/P266/A5.1 pedals vs Axiom MTB shoes on Shimano single or doubled sided SPD's.
531db

Return to General discussion