Having a crack at track

CoffsGal

Having a crack at track

Postby CoffsGal » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:33 pm

Headed down to the local velodrome today, as you do, to have a try out on a fixed wheel bike. The local cycle club have a training session on Tuesday afternoons and have a stack of bikes for members to borrow.

There are a few new basics to learn...
You can't just cleat one foot and swing on as you do with the free wheeling variety.
And you are soon reminded that you can't stop pedalling either. Getting propelled out of the seat is the result.
Stopping by slowing the crank revolutions is a new sensation too.

Had a few laps behind the pace motorbike with my front wheel rubbing on the attached bumper/roller.

The LBS has a Felt track bike in stock they are wanting to move...hmmm...surely I can make space in the garage for just one more...

There are so many varieties of cycling...there really is something for everyone.

Emma

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Track cycling is a BLAST!
Great fun. I was hiring a bike, and the rear tyre felt like it was made of plastic. No traction at all, almost fell off the wall!... Haven't been back since. :D
When the time comes I'll buy myself a cheapy $1000 track bike. Don't need nothing El Fancy`

Archenar

Postby Archenar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:46 pm

Chaderotti wrote:Don't need nothing El Fancy`
Is that really you Chad or is someone borrowing your account? :wink:

I think track riding would scare the pants/knicks of me!!
2009 Malvern Star Capo Pro

toff

Postby toff » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:09 pm

Track racing is great. It's so much more intense than road riding. I am only just getting to the point when I don't puke at least once every carnival.

What I like is that you get to do a whole heap of races on the one night (or day), so if you have a bad first race, you can always have another go at the next one.

Also like the sensations you get when really fanging it out of a steep turn on a tight track. Roadies probably don't know the sensation of trying to keep your your chin up off the handlebars as you try to overcome the g forces!

bowie

Postby bowie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:55 pm

say what now...

Yes Please! 8)
b is for bicycle :D

Avanti22

Postby Avanti22 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:21 pm

Similar sort of set up here in newcastle. Plenty of bikes to loan to people training tuesday nights and races wednesday, first timers always welcome ... currently borowing one myself a hillbrick pista nothing too flash but does the job... see below.

Track cycling is great for working on your lactic threshhold can often feel my insides moving on the bell lap :lol:
2008 Ridley Compact

toff

Postby toff » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:45 pm

Loaner bikes here in Tempe too. Need to have a racing licence to get on the track though. My club does occasionally do some riding on the weekends that allows non licence holders to have a go. That's the team at dhbc.org.au

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:55 pm

toff wrote:Loaner bikes here in Tempe too. Need to have a racing licence to get on the track though. My club does occasionally do some riding on the weekends that allows non licence holders to have a go. That's the team at dhbc.org.au
You can use the cheaper "Ride it" license for track training days.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

toff

Postby toff » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Go back to your sick bed Mike. I can hear your pain from here!

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:48 pm

Archenar wrote:
Chaderotti wrote:Don't need nothing El Fancy`
Is that really you Chad or is someone borrowing your account? :wink:
Haha. I'm no track racing enthusiast. So I can't really justify spending 1 grand on bike I'll probably use once a fortnight.

broke

Postby broke » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:50 pm

Brunswick run training sessions at Darebin (Melbourne) on sunday mornings, hire bikes available all beginners most welcome. If you have ever wondered what it's like come on down, it is an absolute blast.