Bicycle Storage - Gravity Bike Storage Rack - any good?

hitch

Bicycle Storage - Gravity Bike Storage Rack - any good?

Postby hitch » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:17 pm

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? Similar products in store cost > $200 sometimes, so I'm wondering, are bike stores ripping people off, or is this a piece of crap - or something in between?

http://www.crazysales.com.au/index.php? ... #pCodeSent

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:29 pm

Of course there are rip-offs.

The simplest is to just go to Bunning and pay $7 for a two large screw-in hooks that allows you hang your bikes by their front wheel.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:44 pm

sogood wrote:Of course there are rip-offs.

The simplest is to just go to Bunning and pay $7 for a two large screw-in hooks that allows you hang your bikes by their front wheel.
Hooks to hang your bikes from the front wheel were no good for me as I wanted to mount the bikes along a wall.

Bunnings did however have the appropriate mounting brackets for $14 each and the end result is very similar to this bike rack (just obviously not portable).

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:02 pm

neat idea, could tidy up my shed a bit but it needs wall space. mmm maybe 2 back to back might work?
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

hitch

Postby hitch » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:07 pm

sogood wrote:Of course there are rip-offs.

Simplest, but not best if you're in a rental apartment and are a bit wary of screwing large things into walls, when you can't even put pictures up. Will be doing that when I own my own place though :)

SLH

Postby SLH » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:17 pm

I got a wall mount bracket from my LBS for $21 which is the same as they use in store. Perfect.
Look695 & BMC SLC01.

Matty

Postby Matty » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:44 pm

Here's an Ikea idea.

herzog

Re: Bicycle Storage - Gravity Bike Storage Rack - any good?

Postby herzog » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:16 pm

hitch wrote:Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? Similar products in store cost > $200 sometimes, so I'm wondering, are bike stores ripping people off, or is this a piece of crap - or something in between?
I've got one of these. For $50 it's a pretty good deal., holds two bikes quite snugly against the wall.

It can also be used as a rudimentary workstand for the upper bike. This allows minor adjustments, like rear derailleurs or brake calipers, and gives you full access to turn the cranks. You can't turn the cranks of the lower bike.

It's not perfect though. Although it says it can be leaned against a wall, in practice, it's pretty unstable unless you connect the top to the wall to hold it steady.

This can be done with a single screw in the wall, and there is a little hole in the upper tube which you can sorta slide over the screw.

You can remove the stand in seconds, leaving just the screw behind, which you could hang a picture on to hide it.

Only other issue would be if you had two bikes which were both extremely tall, like Downhill bikes or other long travel (6"+) MTB. It won't accomodate two such bikes.

ez

Postby ez » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:16 pm

I also have one from crazy sales. Probably got it 12 months ago and it is still going strong. Currently has my roadie and a Jamis Dual Suspension mountain bike on it. The mounting holes in the main pole are evenly spaced and are perfect for hanging your sunnies on. Plus if you get a small S hook or two you can hang your helmet on it as well.

Cheers,
Ez

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:57 pm

thisis always an option. My LBS uses almost the same thing to display their bikes

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:10 am

tallywhacker wrote:thisis always an option. My LBS uses almost the same thing to display their bikes

I wonder how safe is it to use on gyproc ceilings? I'd be concerned it'll wear down and poke a hole in it, let alone crashing down.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:14 am

thats why in the picture there is a block on the top and the bottom of the post. You're a "glass is half empty" type of guy aren't you ?

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:34 am

tallywhacker wrote:thats why in the picture there is a block on the top and the bottom of the post. You're a "glass is half empty" type of guy aren't you ?
But is it enough? Those gyprocs aren't that strong are they? No problems for concrete ceilings or solid beams, but gyproc ceilings?

Earthy Ochre Man

Postby Earthy Ochre Man » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:15 am

sogood wrote:
tallywhacker wrote:thats why in the picture there is a block on the top and the bottom of the post. You're a "glass is half empty" type of guy aren't you ?
But is it enough? Those gyprocs aren't that strong are they? No problems for concrete ceilings or solid beams, but gyproc ceilings?
Should be fine if you position it directly below one of the roof joists.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:32 am

Earthy Ochre Man wrote:Should be fine if you position it directly below one of the roof joists.
Can accept that. Is there a technique to do that? Or are gadgets required?

Earthy Ochre Man

Postby Earthy Ochre Man » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:48 am

sogood wrote:
Earthy Ochre Man wrote:Should be fine if you position it directly below one of the roof joists.
Can accept that. Is there a technique to do that? Or are gadgets required?
Just tap the ceiling to find where the timbers are, or look for indents or marks showing where the fixings are.

peter

Postby peter » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:23 am

Topeak TowUp TuneUp Bike Stand ($295):

http://www.topeak.com/mediafiles/products/1132/

Topeak Dual-Touch Bike Stand ($235):

http://www.topeak.com/mediafiles/products/1130/

locco

Postby locco » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:14 pm

Wrongway, if you want to hang your bike along the wall (I take it you're space constrained). just screw one hook into the wall up high and hang the bike hanging down vertical. To get it closer to the wall undo the head stem and twist the handle bars so they align with the front wheel. I used to do this with my bike when I lived in a small 2 bedroom unit. It took maybe an extra 2mins longer to get out but made all the difference in terms of saving space :D

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:06 pm

I used some PVC pipe to make an easel for taking photographs. By using heavier pipe it would be possible to make a stand which would hold at least one bike and then fold up when you're not using it.

This is the beginning of another stand but I think it could be adapted to hold a bike.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:59 pm

G'day

I got one of these the last time they where discussed here. I keep a steel roadie on it and Julia my XTC 2 mountain bike.

It works okay, reasonably stable but I find that my bikes, being larger sizes don't fit as well as I would like. They get caught up in each other etc.

Would I buy one again? Probably not.

Andrew

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:49 pm

I bought a pulley system from Aldi a couple of weeks ago. Screwed to the garage roof joists and lifts the bike up out of the way for storage. It was cheap ($10 or thereabouts), took a bit of fiddling to fit and you either need a high ceiling (my garage has) or you need to fit it near a wall. good thing though.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Joehax

Postby Joehax » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:54 am

So does the Gravity Bike Storage Rack work well without screws?

I live in a flat and keep my bikes inside just near the front door, i'd like to clean them up and the storage rack looks ok (especially for $50) but i'd rather not drill holes in my walls..

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:47 am

Joehax wrote:So does the Gravity Bike Storage Rack work well without screws?
My one which looks the same in the OP's link is self-standing.

Andrew

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:30 am

at the Perth home show over the weekend there was a bike storage system that stored the bike vertically against the wall and also allowed you to angle it. Anyone know the name of it or got a web site ?