Nutrition: Supermarket superfoods

Aushiker

Nutrition: Supermarket superfoods

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:29 pm

G'day

Some suggestions from BikeRadar.com on boosting both your health and your performance.
Prune power

Need to supercharge your ride? Take a pack of dried fruits and you can top up your energy stores quickly. Dried apricots, figs, prunes and raisins are all excellent sources of quick releasing carbohydrates to prevent the dreaded ‘bonk’ and keep your muscles fuelled. They’re rich too in antioxidants to aid recovery and support immune health, plus potassium to maintain electrolyte balance and lower blood pressure.
Go nuts

Nuts are another great portable snack that is rich in monounsaturated fats, vitamin E and magnesium – important for maintaining a healthy heart, joints and bones. Vitamin E, along with other antioxidants present, can help protect against free radical damage which can be linked to muscle soreness and slower recovery. A good source of protein, nuts can also help stabilise blood sugar levels and so prevent energy dips.
Wholegrain holy grail

Pasta and rice are well known staples for cyclists, providing plenty of easily digestible carbohydrate to help refuel your glycogen stores after a long ride. Choose wholegrain for additional B vitamins, needed for energy production, and fibre. Combine it with some protein to fuel your muscles and aid repair.
Egg sample

Eggs are one of the best complete protein sources around. One egg contains 5.5g protein, over 10 percent – of your daily needs – with only 68 calories. So if you’re trying to build up your strength and endurance, add a couple of eggs to your morning breakfast. Packed with choline, an important B vitamin for brain health and reducing inflammation, they also contain the antioxidant lutein for healthy eyes and B vitamins to facilitate energy production.
Fish fat

Fish is an excellent high-quality protein food. A 100g (4oz) serving of salmon will deliver about 30g of protein – more than a third of your daily requirements. It’s also one of the best sources of omega 3 fats – essential for keeping inflammation in check, improving blood flow to muscles and boosting the immune system, helping you to train for longer. If you’re short of time, add a can of salmon to your pasta or salads, or mix with mayo for a great topping for potatoes.
Take your leaf

Broccoli and leafy greens like kale and cabbage are rich in phytonutrients known to protect against cancers and boost immune function. A good source of vitamins C and K, calcium and magnesium, these are essential foods for healthy bones and joints – useful if you suffer from stiffness. They also provide plenty of beta-carotene, the vegetable source of vitamin A needed for a healthy respiratory system – important when cycling in the cold.
Banana appeal

The fantastic, energy-boosting banana is the perfect choice for long rides. Choose ripe fruit with a higher glycaemic rating for an easily digestible source of carbohydrate to keep glycogen levels up. Bananas are a great source of potassium needed to balance fluid levels, keep muscles functioning effectively and assist in carbohydrate metabolism. They also provide plenty of B vitamins and magnesium needed for energy production to keep you in the saddle for longer.
Sweet spuds

A fantastic source of easily digestible carbohydrate, baked sweet potatoes make a quick, easy snack to refuel tired muscles. Packed with beta-carotene and vitamin C, these important antioxidants can help the body fight off ills and can help reduce any inflammation. Sweet potatoes also supply iron, manganese and copper – essential nutrients for energy production and muscle function.
Berry booster

Their brightly coloured skins are the reason why blueberries, blackberries, cherries, raspberries and strawberries are such a good choice. Rich in powerful antioxidants known as anthocyanins, they can boost immune health and prevent the buildup of free radicals that can cause damage to the body. Include these in your post ride meal or snack to aid recovery, prevent muscle soreness and to speed up repair.
Source: BikeRadar.com

Regards
Andrew

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:43 pm

Thanks for that always interested to read about nutrition :)

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:06 pm

was at a mate's warehouse the other day...
25kg bags of Maltodextrin!!! very tempted to borrow one!

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:36 pm

Aushiker wrote:One egg contains 5.5g protein, over 10 percent – of your daily needs – with only 68 calories.
Over 10% of the protein needs of a cyclist?

I was thinking about food today while I was peddling away on the indoor trainer looking at the empty banana skins, its crazy how much our food bill is. I can only put it down to how much I now eat from cycling.

Theres only 2 in our house (me & the GF) but our weekly food bill is around the $300 a week bracket, sometimes more. We spend loads at the fruit and veg store with a min of 2 trips a week and basic stuff from the supermarket, with only the odd little treat.

I'm not big at about 68kgs and the mrs is about 50-52, she eats a good diet and gyms it 4 x a week, but is not a big eater, so I'm totally to blame on the big bill front. I know from speaking to people at work, that people feed a family of 4 of that amount. :(

herzog

Postby herzog » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:40 pm

How about the old "Space Food Sticks". Are they any good?

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:46 pm

:drool:

Add baked beans, mushrooms, dark chocolate and tea, and I could live off that list!

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Sad how fruit and veg is more expensive than KFC and what not...

sharktamin

Postby sharktamin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:15 pm

Chaderotti wrote:Sad how fruit and veg is more expensive than KFC and what not...
Where do you shop Chad?

KFC chicken burger about $8,
Chicken fillet bun and salad at the supermarket, about $3

I was gonna try a drive through bike ride at KFC last week, but at that price I bought groceries instead. And if I do say so myself, I'm a better cook!

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:40 pm

Chaderotti wrote:Sad how fruit and veg is more expensive than KFC and what not...
not the case where i shop...

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:22 am

fruit and veg can be pricey esp if it is out of season. still a home cooked meal is going to be a lot cheaper (and better for you!) than buying take-away. i did a curry last night (chicken, 3 veg & rice) which will last 2 people 2 days and worked out at ~$5 per serve

lean red meat costs big $$$...i buy 2 angus sirloins for $20 in my weekly shop
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:45 am

For the Sydney siders try going to the Flemington Market on Saturday morning. It helps to go early (5am) as there are not as many people and the good quality fruit and veg is available. You can also get fish, chicken and meat.

Worth the effort as the quality and longevity of the produce is better than the shops and the impact on your wallet is less.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:55 am

JV911 wrote:lean red meat costs big $$$...i buy 2 angus sirloins for $20 in my weekly shop
One of the leanest red meats costs much less. Kangaroo fillet is cheap, very low in fat and doesn't damage the environment as much as raising cattle does. Give it a try (but cook it rare only!)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:13 am

Kalgrm wrote:
JV911 wrote:lean red meat costs big $$$...i buy 2 angus sirloins for $20 in my weekly shop
One of the leanest red meats costs much less. Kangaroo fillet is cheap, very low in fat and doesn't damage the environment as much as raising cattle does. Give it a try (but cook it rare only!)
I love Kangaroo but have never cooked it myself. Always eaten it at restaurants.

Andrew

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:51 am

sharktamin wrote:
KFC chicken burger about $8,
Chicken fillet bun and salad at the supermarket, about $3

I was gonna try a drive through bike ride at KFC last week, but at that price I bought groceries instead. And if I do say so myself, I'm a better cook!
$8! For a burger done in a deep fryer by a 16yr old. :shock:

I'd much rather a home cooked healthier option.

Kangaroo meat is very easy to cook. i'm suprised the market for the meat isn't bigger.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:52 am

I have been a vegetarian for almost 20 years. When I moved in with my now wife around 5 years ago, I remember going to a butcher and buying her a steak for the first time... "How much! I could live for a couple of days on that money!" I thought (and had to stop myself saying).

Another good source of protein is quinoa (pronounced key-nwah). We use it instead of rice every now and then (don't be fooled by having quinoa porridge for breakfast, it was not meant to be a breakfast cereal IMHO). Try and buy it in a local food co-op or similar, IME it is a lot more expensive in a supermarket or health food shop.

Nice to know we (mrs & me) seem to be doing the right thing with our diets.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:02 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Kangaroo fillet is cheap, very low in fat and doesn't damage the environment as much as raising cattle does. Give it a try
MMM ROO

+1 on rare
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:21 pm

Kalgrm wrote:One of the leanest red meats costs much less. Kangaroo fillet is cheap, very low in fat and doesn't damage the environment as much as raising cattle does. Give it a try (but cook it rare only!)
+1 for Roo. We have it at least once every week. (last night actually)
The Marinated roo that you can buy in big grocery stores is very tasty. I would say that the flavour is far superior to any beef or lamb (and I like a bit of lamb) However some people eg. Orientals, don't like the flavour because it's too strong and dominates the condiments that they like to cook with.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:25 pm

cavebear2 wrote:The Marinated roo that you can buy in big grocery stores is very tasty
Does that come in a vacuum sealed bag?

how do you cook it?
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:02 pm

simonn wrote:
I have been a vegetarian for almost 20 years. When I moved in with my now wife around 5 years ago, I remember going to a butcher and buying her a steak for the first time... "How much! I could live for a couple of days on that money!" I thought (and had to stop myself saying).

Another good source of protein is quinoa (pronounced key-nwah). We use it instead of rice every now and then (don't be fooled by having quinoa porridge for breakfast, it was not meant to be a breakfast cereal IMHO). Try and buy it in a local food co-op or similar, IME it is a lot more expensive in a supermarket or health food shop.

Nice to know we (mrs & me) seem to be doing the right thing with our diets.
I was a vegie for 18 years...but have started eating fish for two years now.But I agree being a vegeterian is cheap...I still make up HUGE soups,about 15 litres once a week and freeze 10 good portions for later use...costs about the same as a couple of good steaks for the kid which go in one meal!.

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:30 pm

toolonglegs wrote: I was a vegie for 18 years...but have started eating fish for two years now.
How is that going in France?

"but zis steak it not cooked! You can eat him?" :lol:

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:39 am

JV911 wrote:how do you cook it?
put it on the BBQ & then turn it on...
you HAVE to have it rare, otherwise its show leather...

Marinate is your only friend here, keep it up so it doesnt dry out, Soy + Lemon + Worces sauce is a winner...

DONT cook it like a steak otherwise it'll dry out!