One for the colour coordinated

uMP2k

One for the colour coordinated

Postby uMP2k » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:12 pm

So, now that I finally have my old steelie back up and running:

I am wondering how a mainly white seat and white bar tape would look. Saddle in question is a San Marco Rolls racing team replica. Cannot find a photo of one online but the Regal below will give an idea of the markings and general style.

Any comments?

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:21 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

bowie

Postby bowie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:40 pm

White would look the gun with white bar tape ;)

There would be a lovely naturally symetry with the bike. darks down bottom, (wheels) lights up top (tape and saddle) with the yellow as a medium in the middle, would blend beautifully

White bar tape will get dirty tho.. and it will annoy you. as will the saddle. but its the price you pay for being a fashion guru :P
b is for bicycle :D

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks for the comments MG and bowie.

I was tossing up between the Black team issue and the white one but it just happens that the local BikeForce happens to have a White Team Issue Rolls with titanium rails (which I cannot find any refrence to on the Web!) on sale at the moment. The sale price is better than I can get one online and it has the advantage of immediate gratification!

As for keeping them clean, well if I go with the white then I guess a little grim is something I will have to get used to! Thinking that some nice white (well off white after a week or two :? ) fizik bar tape might look good.

Stephen

philip

Postby philip » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:58 pm

White bar tape will not stay very white for very long. I've tried pretty hard with mine and it's looking fairly grey after ~4 months. My white saddle is also looking fairly dark blue because of a pair of knicks I wear seem to stain it.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:10 pm

philip wrote:White bar tape will not stay very white for very long. I've tried pretty hard with mine and it's looking fairly grey after ~4 months. My white saddle is also looking fairly dark blue because of a pair of knicks I wear seem to stain it.
I guess this is something I have to decide if I can live with. Do I want it to stay looking like the day I built it or is it okay for it to look "lived in"...? If I do go with white then I think I will have to make sure I get some good pictures as soon as I put them on so that i can remember what it looked like before the inevitable fade to grey...

Stephen

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:17 pm

+1 on the white bar tape comment. It'll be black after the first road side tube change. And if you really want white, make sure you pick one that's less porous (less dirt trapping) and is easily washable.

But there are a lot more choices than just black or white. Many of the darker coloured bar tapes also wear well eg. Deep blue. And on my Ridley, the silver tape (Ambrosio?) has worn extremely well. It's not as thick as the Deda tape on the Bianchi, but the grip is very decent. As I said, it doesn't stain at all. IIRC, I bought it from PBK for under $7 quite a while back.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:28 pm

Abstain.
Not really a fan of white on contact points, it looks nice but only while it's clean.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Hebden

Postby Hebden » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:15 pm

uMP2k wrote:
philip wrote:White bar tape will not stay very white for very long. I've tried pretty hard with mine and it's looking fairly grey after ~4 months. My white saddle is also looking fairly dark blue because of a pair of knicks I wear seem to stain it.
I guess this is something I have to decide if I can live with. Do I want it to stay looking like the day I built it or is it okay for it to look "lived in"...? If I do go with white then I think I will have to make sure I get some good pictures as soon as I put them on so that i can remember what it looked like before the inevitable fade to grey...

Stephen
Yeah I need to replace my saddle and bar tape soon (after a crash). I have decided to go white again; even though it's hard to keep clean it looks so Euro cool! :P

I have even got some white shifter hoods to boot! 8)

Nice bike Stephen.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:44 pm

Hmm, so why not bright yellow saddle and tape, to match the bike?

And if you really want colour co-ordination, how about one of those "standard yellow" jerseys every manufacturer seems to have, and a yellow helmet?

I'd draw the line at yellow knicks though. TMI with those. :shock:

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:26 pm

Thats a lovely looking bike and white tape and saddle would make it even nicer.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:31 pm

Would look good but as others had pointed out it wouldn't take long to be a non white. Still the bike looks great thanks for showing.

grosry

Postby grosry » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:12 pm

White tape and saddle would look sweet.
As others have said will go grey fairly quickly though - but owell
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit however, it will last forever." - Lance Armstrong

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:50 pm

Thanks for all the comments folks - pretty much confirmed my thinking.

White would look good but I would have to put up with it getting dirty pretty quick.

Think I can live with it :D so I might just be off to the lbs tomorrow to pick up that white Rolls.... and maybe some matching tape...

Stephen

fitz

Postby fitz » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:30 am

Curtains and carpets! White saddle then white bar tape. Try the Stella Azzurra extraveganza or pro make a real nice one that clean easily. The Cork and gel type tapes dirty too easily.
http://www.komcyclery.com.au/catalog/pr ... =1661[url]
Failing that, a brown leather tape with the Brooks saddle.
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=28016

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:05 am

If it is just the saddle and bar tape, that is not enough - you still have contrasting black hoods. The brown leather bar tape is a good idea and suits a a brown and yellow colour scheme.

Ditto with the white - doesn't last long, something always happens so that it quickly gets grotty. Mine lasted just over a month before I succumbed and went to black.
Cycling is in my BNA

uMP2k

Re: One for the colour coordinated

Postby uMP2k » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:11 am

Well I finally made a decision and went with a White San Marco Rolls.

Not quite the one I was after with the big "San Marco" logo across the top, this one has san marco at both sides. Don't have any pictures yet, but I think it looks pretty good. Have not made up my mind about the bar tape yet, will see where my mood takes me :D

toff

Re: One for the colour coordinated

Postby toff » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:45 am

Before you put bar tape on, you might want to lower those shifters. From what I see, it looks about impossible to reach the brakes or even the shifters from the drops if you leave the shifters way up there.