Getting your biked nicked in Japan

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Getting your biked nicked in Japan

Postby Bnej » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:09 pm

Check this out!

excerpt: latimes.com

TOKYO -- This story begins with a crime.

Under normal circumstances, there is no reason anyone would want to steal my bike. It's a basic get-around-town model that cost $150. It was the biggest bicycle a Japanese department store carried and it's still too small for me. The chain grinds on every rotation, although that may have to do with the fact that I leave it out in the rain and the bike is now covered in rust.

It has a bell but no night light as required by Japanese law — which, as you'll see, is a misdemeanor that the Japanese police choose to enforce.

View the entire article: latimes.com

Wish it was like that here
Bnej

by BNA » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:54 pm

BNA

Postby europa » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:54 pm

What a great story :D

Read the link, all of it, right down to the punch line at the bottom.

Richard
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby TriggerFish » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:41 pm

I lived in Tokyo for a year or so some time ago. A lot of that brings back fond memories and rings quite true from what I can remember.

One interesting fact about the police who man the small police booths that they talk about in the article is that they all must know how to prepare a meal called Katsudon. Which is a crumbed pork and rice dish with egg and onion. From what I was told it was so they could feed anyone that they detained. I never had to experience their hospitality while I was there, so I cannot confirm it 100% :wink: .

I do have two interesting anecdotes that relate to that article though. My bike was stolen the one and only time that I left it unlocked because I had forgotten the key. I was not so fortunate as to get it back though :cry: . I was under the impression that, contrary to what the article was implying, that bike theft was not uncommon. Like the man in the story, people seemed to take the opportunity of easing their walk home when it presented itself quite commonly.....again, I could be wrong.

After losing my bike to a theif, I often rode one loaned to me by one of the guys I lived with. It had a light on it that happened to be busted on a ride home once and I was pulled over by the very polite policeman who I think freaked out a bit when he saw me. I was 17 at the time and 6"4' and of course a foreigner.....I think he let me off with a warning and was happy to see the back of me :) . My language skills were quite good, but didn't stretch to understanding startled policemen...hehe

Nice to reminisce.
TriggerFish

Return to General discussion