Black Bike Down

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:29 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Most cyclists now when departing town ride on the wrong side of the road on Bridge road between Pyrmont Bridge and Union st, when departing the CBD and this is despite there being motor vechiles driving directly towards them in the same lane. Why? Because there is no better alternative. And from a legal perspective, I don't think there is a way that you can legally ride your bike from Pyrmont Bridge to Union st.
You're not wrong about that spot, it's astonishly badly done, especially when you consider it's one of the main cycling routes out of the CBD. It's almost worthy of the bicycle facility of the month... :lol:

I used to cycle through there on the way to work, going from Surry Hills through the CBD, over Pyrmont Bridge and onwards to the Anzac Bridge, and I never could work an acceptable way of negotiating the Pyrmont Bridge to Union Street bit. I've now given up on that route and skirt round south of the CBD through Chippendale and Ultimo to get to Pyrmont instead, turns out it's much faster than fighting my way through the CBD.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:03 am

Hotdog wrote: facility of the month
OMGosh. That is all.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:37 am

Fitting that it finishes off at a gravestone.

OK, whats next on the list. How about the gap at the south western end of bridge where you squeeze between the concrete bus stop and the large concrete planter box. Leaving town is even worse as you brake going over the ripple strips with are a cosmetic for the statue.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:03 pm

Personally I was a little taken aback the first time I tried out the Parramatta Valley Cycleway and discovered that the official route involved dragging my bike up and then down a huge set of stairs in order to cross the river from the riverside cyclepath at Rydalmere to Thackeray Road in the Camellia industrial estate. I almost went back to take photos so I could submit it to Facility of the Month...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:47 pm

Hotdog wrote:Personally I was a little taken aback the first time I tried out the Parramatta Valley Cycleway and discovered that the official route involved dragging my bike up and then down a huge set of stairs in order to cross the river from the riverside cyclepath at Rydalmere to Thackeray Road in the Camellia industrial estate. I almost went back to take photos so I could submit it to Facility of the Month...
I thought they were going to fix that piece of bodgy cycleway. People with kids have to do relays to get the bikes over.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:33 pm

That river crossing might have been improved since, I only went to Parramatta and back once that way and it was probably at least 6 months ago now. My first scramble over that bridge and then juddering my way along crumbling pot-holed industrial access roads in the company of large trucks once I got to the other side put me off the Parramatta Valley Cycleway and I haven't been back.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:51 pm

I thought it was fixed a few years ago. Seems I was wrong about that.

Seems logical to continue the path along Paramatta river.

Hotdog

Back on the road!

Postby Hotdog » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:51 pm

Got back on my bike over the weekend following my two week taxi-induced hiatus :D No progress yet on getting money from the taxi driver to pay for the damage, but at the moment I'm just glad to be back on the road. I was going mad without my bike :?

On Saturday I donned my shiny new MET Scatto helmet and went out for a 25km test ride across the city. The bike felt fine, as did the knee I bashed up in the crash, but I could really feel those two weeks off in my legs when I hit the hills! I must've blown the cobwebs out in the process though, as on Sunday morning I went on an 80km 'medium-hard' ride with the Bike North BUG and had a great time! 8)