Today's training ride - sub 4hrs for 100km!

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Today's training ride - sub 4hrs for 100km!

Postby gdl_gdl » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:32 pm

I finally managed to break the 4hr barrier for my 100km ride today.

Average speed of 26.1km (helped by a generous SW for the last 37km) so the figures are a bit distorted. However this also includes a trek around Perth CBD, the foreshore and the path to City Beach where it's hard to build up any speed due to pedestrians on the shared paths (which I use for that part of the ride.)

Interesting stat is that I burned only 2,500 calories compared to the figure of 2,700 / 2,800 of a couple of months ago. Am I more efficient or just not trying hard enough???

Total journey time was 4hrs 15min which means I've cut back on the length of my rest stops (it used be a 5hr total trip)

(Although I had an unscheduled stop at the toilets at the Perth South shore when my body told me that Gatorade and Banana's don't mix too well :wink: :wink: )

Whizzed through Mullaloo at around 10am ish when I saw a lady in a red top (with partner riding in front). I thought maybe that's Moo but then I thought what do I do? Do I shout "Moo" at the top of my voice??? :wink:
What if it's not her??? Anyway if that was you Moo, I'll be sure to say hello the next time I recognise you!

Cheers,

Gary
gdl_gdl

by BNA » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:09 pm

BNA

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:09 pm

Well, we rode from home to Hillarys today and were around Mullaloo at 10ish...IT WAS ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Kit description - I tend to wear a red based shirt, black knicks, white shoes with blue bits, grey and white helmet. Always wear sunglasses. I once said in a post that Met helmets are the best fit for ponytails...but I just had mine cut off, so don't look for that!! Bike is sexy Scott - carbon with red and white signage.

Today, husband was wearing black knicks, aqua shirt with fish on it, black shoes, blue and white helmet. Wears prescription glasses or sunnies. Bike is a Giant OCR Composite carbon with blue signage.

I must admit, I always look for you too, but it is always so hard to spot someone from a photo when you both zoom!! But yeah - yell out next time :D If it isn't me, you can just pretend it was a sneeze (Aaaah-mooo!!) :?

Good thing you didn't this time though - I would have talked for ages and really screwed up your time :roll: Congrats on breaking the 4hr :D

Moo...
moosterbounce

Postby europa » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:02 am

I'd like to congratulate Gary but I'm sick with envy :D

Richard
onya ya bastard :D
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby gdl_gdl » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:41 am

No worries Moo,

I'm either wearing my blue Campignalo shirt (with a black band across the chest) or my yellow adidas shirt. (Either with black uno nicks or my T Mobile bibs - although for me, the uno nicks are far better than the bibs!)

I had the blue jersey on yesterday when I saw you on the shared path, I was heading North on the road and approaching the roundabout near Mullaloo Hotel at the time.

Cheers,

Gary
gdl_gdl

Postby drawn2mel » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:55 am

Hi, I did 160 km on Sunday, took 5.5 hours for the ride n a bit more to for the flat tyre i got, which by the way is the 1st flat tyre I've had on my road bike. I'm loving this bike stuff, that distance is a new record for me, 100km was the record just a couple o weeks ago. I also did my 1st time trial the week b4 that. :D
drawn2mel

Re: Today's training ride - sub 4hrs for 100km!

Postby giant1 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:25 pm

gdl_gdl wrote:I finally managed to break the 4hr barrier for my 100km ride today.

Average speed of 26.1km (helped by a generous SW for the last 37km) so the figures are a bit distorted. However this also includes a trek around Perth CBD, the foreshore and the path to City Beach where it's hard to build up any speed due to pedestrians on the shared paths (which I use for that part of the ride.)

Interesting stat is that I burned only 2,500 calories compared to the figure of 2,700 / 2,800 of a couple of months ago. Am I more efficient or just not trying hard enough???

Total journey time was 4hrs 15min which means I've cut back on the length of my rest stops (it used be a 5hr total trip)

(Although I had an unscheduled stop at the toilets at the Perth South shore when my body told me that Gatorade and Banana's don't mix too well :wink: :wink: )

Whizzed through Mullaloo at around 10am ish when I saw a lady in a red top (with partner riding in front). I thought maybe that's Moo but then I thought what do I do? Do I shout "Moo" at the top of my voice??? :wink:
What if it's not her??? Anyway if that was you Moo, I'll be sure to say hello the next time I recognise you!

Cheers,

Gary

Good one gdl_gdl

Thats not bad for a solo effort.

Today I was taught a lesson by the guys I ride with. They race and I don't. But I ride with them on their training rides.

We passed a group of other riders and I new they would turn it on to drop the other group which we did do :lol:.

Trouble is they just kept going and I started to fall off the back and pretty much stayed that way until they pulled up a little about 3 or 4 kilometers later. I was doing about 35kmph in order to try and get back on but just could not catch them :roll: :oops:

Now I have a new goal....... Don't get dropped ever again :x

I see lots of work in my future :wink:
giant1

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:04 pm

giant1 wrote:Now I have a new goal....... Don't get dropped ever again :x

Impossible.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby giant1 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:58 am

mikesbytes wrote:
giant1 wrote:Now I have a new goal....... Don't get dropped ever again :x

Impossible.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log

Didn't say how long it would take to achieve said goal :lol: But I am known for being very stubborn so you can be sure I will be trying very hard :evil:

It gives me something to chase down and this will keep me getting out there on my bike :wink:
giant1

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:35 am

Well done. I have yet to rack up a 100km ride for the first time, let alone do it several times.

Completed my longest ride yesterday completing 66.4km - took just over 2 1/2 hours riding time and involved a lot of hills, so am pleased with that.

Something to work up to. Got Easter weekend coming, so going to try and crack 75 - 80km !!!
MichaelB

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:20 am

I was the only person not in the break.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby tuco » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:36 am

Well done on 100km and well done on recognising someone you've never met.

I have trouble recognising a fellow training partner, racer or club member when they're not wearing cycling clothes, helmet and sunglasses.

Out riding I recognise people by the top they wear and their bike.
I've been riding with a guy from the lbs for about 4 rides now and I still can't pick which rider he is but it is quick dark when we ride in the morning.
tuco

Return to General discussion