Longest Solo Ride

RobRollin

Longest Solo Ride

Postby RobRollin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:58 am

On Fridya morning at 5:50am I took off for my longest solo ride. The weather was cool at that time of the morning, with a slight North West headwind the entire route, the sunrise was magnificent. Being Good Friday I thought there may have been a lot of traffick however it was very quite which I was thankful for.

Coming out of Brighton was my first challenge of the morning with a steep ascent, I knew before i reached the back of Oatlands Constitution Hill, Spring Hill and finally St Peters Pass was before me. Almost without too much effort I was over Constitution Hill and Spring was next. Still there wasnt a lot of traffic and I was determined to make the first 100ks within 4 hours. Spring Hill was next, I sat in the saddle spinning keeping my cadence above 77, only getting out of the saddle to keep momentum and heart rate within my zone. I was still feeling good coming up St Peters Pass so I didn't let up, kept my cadence and heart rate up, dancing on the pedals when I wanted to give my legs a rest.

I ran out of water within 25kms of my destination and I was close to bonking. I hate road signs saying 25kms to go, and the next sign 4ks down the road says 25kms to go!!!

It was a long hard ride the last 25k. I had two bidons, one with water and one with powerade, two powerbars, two GU gels, two pieces of quiche (instead of rice cakes). I had consumed all of the water and gels, and bars and otherwise felt quite good, I could still have ridden another 70 odd k's if I had enough water.

After 5 hours 37mins and 50 seconds I had ridden a total of 134.46kms, ridden over 3 tough climbs over a total of 1200 metres of climbing. I'm stoked to have acheived this goal, my next goal is to ride a double century.

Also my only bad expereince was some idiot in a 4wd went past at about 110kmh and threw a firecracker at me, which went off right next to my helmet, never encountered someone so stupid before!!! I was swearing and tearing into him as they tore off into the distance.

My average speed was 24.1kmh (including recovery ride)
Max speed was 59.1kmh
Avg Heart Rate 158
Avg Cadence 77
Over 1200 metres of climbing

Mapmyride: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/australia ... 7186371618

Mattsbike

Re: Longest Solo Ride

Postby Mattsbike » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:50 pm

Great work RR. Looks like a fantastic ride with a nice bit of climbing in there.
Did you get that idiot's registration number? Fools like that don't deserve the privilege of driving.

Matt
Matt

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:54 pm

thats a great effort! did you spend the next three days of the long weekend recovering? :shock:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:02 pm

Congrats mate nice looking ride. I did a similar thing on friday 120ks and i dont think ill be doing a repeat anytime soon not use to not having someone to chat to found the last 20k or so a real slog.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Fantastic ride, some decent climbs in there 8)
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

toofat

Postby toofat » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:14 pm

Good effort Rob
I have a good mate who lives at the top of spring hill (Tedworth Hall on the left) so I know what sort of climb that is
If you get stuck out that way again there is a tap at the Gatehouse a cottage just inside the galv farm gate which is almost always open

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:33 am

Thanks guys, I didnt get the guys rego number, wish I would have, stupid anmd dangerous thing to do!

Thanks for the tip about the tap, between Oatlands and Campbelltown is was difficult without any water for the last 25ks.

I plan on doing the double century by the end of the year. :shock: :D

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:57 pm

G'day

Well done on the ride. Looks like a few crop circles by the road side to add to the excitement :)

Andrew

grosry

Postby grosry » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Very nice work. I can hardly ride 40KM on my own so that's a great effort.
Good luck on the double though!!!
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit however, it will last forever." - Lance Armstrong