M7 OPEN RIGHT THROUGH

open topic, for anything cycling related.

M7 OPEN RIGHT THROUGH

Postby giant1 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:42 pm

I know there is a thread here somewhere about the M7 cycle way closures / blockages but I can't find it so just letting everyone know that M7 is open all the way with out any detours now.

Sorry if this old news, I have been riding else where until I got the itch this morning to do a round of the M7 cycle way.

Cheers
giant1

by BNA » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:49 pm

BNA

Postby MountGower » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:49 pm

Thanks.
Last edited by MountGower on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountGower

Postby giant1 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:04 pm

MountGower wrote:May I ask out of curiosity, is this bikeway smooth like a road or is it kadoonk, kadoonk, kadoonk all the way like, for example, a shared bike path in Brisbane?
Thanks.

Hey MG

The cycle way is a mixture if concrete path way and tar sections. There are some "kadoonk" sections but not enough to be a real problem. It is about 40km long and away from taffic which in my view makes it great to use (and it is popular). The worst bits are when coming to spots where the path becomes a bridge to get over a major road etc. They have metal plates going across the pathway which can be a problem for tyres. I have had one puncture when crossing one of these plates :roll: :cry:

Other than that I have no complaints.

I always seem to run into someone who is looking for company along the way or there is someone who is just a bit faster than you to chase down :lol: .

Our area is covered with cycle paths and the bus transit way. There is no shortage of safe places to ride.

What's it like where you are?
giant1

Postby MountGower » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:55 pm

call.
Last edited by MountGower on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountGower

Postby giant1 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:14 pm

MountGower wrote:The paths in Brisbane are all segmented concrete, each segment subsiding at it's own pace, hence the kadoonks. There are plenty of them but they are disconnected. They are loaded with pedestrians that float around like cows and zig zagging site seers - all wearing headphones. The picture just wouldn't be complete without the head phones.

I think a dedicated bike road system has merits but is a real pipe dream. Sounds like you have started to live it a little, maybe it'll catch on. Here's hoping. A clear set of rights on the road and some education of the public might be the call.

Ah yes.. the walkers and bloody head phones!!

I only see them when the cycle path meanders through a housing suburb. The walkers get on and drift around. (to be fair not all are oblivious the rest of us).

I have learnt to yell out RIDER if I think they aren't aware of me coming. Works better than a bell :lol:

As for rights on any road shared with a car :roll: I can't see that happening within the next two or three lifetimes :cry: So I avoid the roads 95% of the time. I guess I am lucky to be able to do that.

Allthough I do get on the bus transit way because it's so damn good to ride (read real smoooooth road :wink: ) I only need to be aware of when a bus is coming along.
giant1

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:50 pm

MountGower wrote:The paths in Brisbane are all segmented concrete, each segment subsiding at it's own pace, hence the kadoonks. There are plenty of them but they are disconnected. They are loaded with pedestrians that float around like cows and zig zagging site seers - all wearing headphones. The picture just wouldn't be complete without the head phones.

I think a dedicated bike road system has merits but is a real pipe dream. Sounds like you have started to live it a little, maybe it'll catch on. Here's hoping. A clear set of rights on the road and some education of the public might be the call.

In Sydney around parts of Iron Cove Bay, they have built bike only paths with pedrestian only paths beside and guess what......

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby MountGower » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:09 pm

on?
Last edited by MountGower on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountGower

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:20 pm

MountGower wrote:..........pedestrians wandering all over the bike only lane with their friggin' head phones on?

Correct.

Add with their dogs, or walking 4 abreast

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:35 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Correct.

Interestingly though, I have never seen any cyclists on pedestrian tracks. Maybe that's something to do since that track has been largely vacated. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:51 am

sogood wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Correct.

Interestingly though, I have never seen any cyclists on pedestrian tracks. Maybe that's something to do since that track has been largely vacated. :wink:

As you know, the pedrestians will evenly distirbute themselves between the 2 paths. The bit that really annoys me is around the back of Iron Cove bay, where the narrowed the road to widen the footpath to make it shared, where it was previously pedrestian only. Now when I ride on that section of road, I block the cars as they cannot overtake me within the same lane. But there's no way I'm going to ride at the speed I'm doing on the shared path, that would simply be unsafe, so the cars will have to wait.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby lucaspewkas » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:37 pm

In Melbourne they have started building bike lanes (on the road, seperate from the footpath) with a median strip between the bike and car part, it's like bike heaven!

I spent the summer in Sydney, and was surprised by the lack of bicycle lanes, is it possible to ride on the Gore Hill Freeway yet? it seems such a waste to let cars drive all over it...
lucaspewkas

Postby sogood » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:53 pm

mikesbytes wrote:But there's no way I'm going to ride at the speed I'm doing on the shared path, that would simply be unsafe, so the cars will have to wait.

I usually use 30kph as the upper limit for my riding on shared paths. Any faster and it's not safe for both the pedestrian and me (cyclist). Then it's time for the road. Fortunately it's early in the morning when I ride around Iron Cove Bay, so I don't usually hold back too much traffic.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby daacha » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:58 am

I went for a ride on the M7 over the weekend and yes it is open all the way through. Now that it opens onto Old Windsor Rd i think there is a bike path all the way to Windsor?

daacha
daacha

Return to General discussion