did he / didn't he ?

cavebear2

Re: did he / didn't he ?

Postby cavebear2 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:34 pm

Perhaps we should have some testing for the Fit Gits on Bikes comp. this year. :lol: :lol:

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:44 pm

I did see in the supermarket last night in the vitamin section a bottle with EPO on it and it was discounted to $10.00 a bottle and it was a decent size bottle too. I could certainly do with all the help i can get catching some of those guys :wink:

BY THE WAY IT WAS EVENING PRIMROSE OILDONT KNOW IF THAT HELPS CYCLING PERFOMANCE :wink:
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:59 pm

the article is fairly damning. using today's testing techniques, Armstrong would have tested positive and been suspended from cycling, kicked off the Tour. there isn't much left in his defence.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:00 am

wombatK wrote:
familyguy wrote:This is one of those conspiracy theories right up there with crop circles, the Illuminati, hollow earth, Area 51, JFK and Freemasons.

But I've said too much...
When well qualified scientists present evidence of scientific fraud (by Coyle), it's a much more than a conspiracy theory. Ashnden's claims have effected my opinion of LA. He is not a drug cheat, in the technical legal sense which UCI were applying.
Just getting back to this thread to read...this reply was more in relation to the fact that Lance was really the only doper of note in the field in those years.

You're correct about the 'drug cheat' tag...under the rules AT THE TIME which is what should be applied. East German shotput records, anyone?

Jim

colafreak

Postby colafreak » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:50 am

Chuck wrote:
colafreak wrote:What I mean is that the guy who did the interview spent a lot of time harping on about how it was a 1 in 300 chance (or something) of being able to randomly spike Lance's samples.

The point is IF the samples were spiked, it WOULDN'T be random BECAUSE of the low probability of getting it "right".

The samples COULDN'T be spiked unless they had also surreptitiously obtained the names of who the samples belonged to, you know?

I just don't see the point in going on about the probabilities. IF it was a conspiracy, then it WOULDN'T have just been a random spiking of samples.
Ok, I get what you're saying. But.....
RICHARDH wrote: The point was there was no way they could know who that sample belonged to so the only way they could frame Armstrong is by guessing.
....and there'd have to be an incredible amount of luck to nail their target, not just samples but stages too.
Ironically we both agree it's impossible to have guessed. The only difference between our points of view is that I think it's POSSIBLE that someone could have surreptitiously obtained the information on who each sample belonged to.

That doesn't mean I think they DID spike his samples, only that just because it seems impossible doesn't mean it is. The world's most baffling crimes were baffling because no one knew how it was done. That's all I'm trying to say.
Please pardon my ignorableness

alex

Postby alex » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:26 am

ivan - never tested positive
jan - never tested positive
marion jones - never tested positive
oj simpson - never committed murder
lance armstrong - never tested positive
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:54 am

Well he is in the clear again... so they can stop going on and get racing... I think LA is going to get spanked in the giro & the tour but I suppose we will see soon!.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... apr24news3

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:22 am

Something to consider - he may have doped on EPO in '99, but they were testing from 2000 - and he won the TDF just a few times after the test was available. Reading the article - he doped. But also reading the article - the riders that don't do something are few and far between.

I'm also not expecting great things from his performance - very few athletes are super-competitive as they get older.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:41 pm

twizzle wrote:Something to consider - he may have doped on EPO in '99, but they were testing from 2000 - and he won the TDF just a few times after the test was available. Reading the article - he doped. But also reading the article - the riders that don't do something are few and far between.

I'm also not expecting great things from his performance - very few athletes are super-competitive as they get older.

I think blood doping became more popular after better EPO testing... EPO is important in training and lead up to a race...blood doping once stage race has started.Hence the courier network set up for shipping blood during the giro and tour.Like was said in the article the riders wern't watched before the test so easy enough to drain off extra and put in a quick saline drip...claim you are to dehydrated if too many questions asked.