I hate the wind.

open topic, for anything cycling related.

I hate the wind.

Postby tuco » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:41 am

Did you know I hate the wind?

I've obviously had it very easy in the past with regard to the wind because lately it's been windy and I don't like it.

The last few days it's been E to SE winds gusting to +30km/h, even at 5:30am. It's not a strong wind but when you're used to calm riding conditions it's enough to make you go back to bed at 5am. I almost did today but then thought about the chocolate I've eaten.

Now I'll glad our races are at 6:30 and 7am in the morning before the wind picks up.

I did the higher grade ride today and made it up the hill only metres behind the others (the bastards, I had to go up at 33km/h to keep up) and hung off the back down the hill but then wondered why I couldn't keep up. I found out, after a short cut and after I was back in the pack, that I thought I'd changed off the big chain ring but I was still on it. I use it down the hill but since it was dark I didn't notice it hadn't changed. I went to the back to sort it out, fixed it then caught up to the back again as they U turned around a round about then heading into the wind a largish looking bird decided to run across the road in front of me. Of course I had to slow and I lost touch with the group so thought I may as well have a drink then I choked on the water. Dropped further behind. The traffic light gods came to my aid and I caught up with a couple of higher grade guys taking it easy (easy for them! 30km/h into the wind) Looks like I shouldn't complain though because one of them rode the Mt Isa to Townsville on the weekend and he said they had a head wind ALL the way. They stopped the race at Charters Towers, something to do with safety, too much traffic and having trouble getting the support vehicles through.
tuco

by BNA » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:48 pm

BNA

Postby Halfanewb » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:48 pm

I hear ya about that wind Tuco, its been a pita this week. The first leg of the daily ride is right into it , so its been a case of dropping back a couple of gears and hard work to keep the cadence up. There are a few sheltered areas in the wetlands but for the most part the wind is either screaming off the ocean or along shultzes canal.

Yesterday as i was doing the ride i passed a few guys doing the same run and one of them decided as i went pass that this was a prime opportunity for him to suck my wheel. About 8k's later there is a small bald hill that rises about 11m over a 60m stretch of the track and the wind howls across it. By the time i hit the top i was stuffed and this guy pops out and passes me giving me a look on the way past. Well stuff that ! instead of taking a breather i dug deep and picked up the pace, he is giving it heaps and accelerates away and by the time we turn onto shultzes canal he is 300m ahead.

Resisting the urge to try and catch him in a hurry i settled into my best cadence and breathing routine dropping back a gear in the big gusts and upping it back again , over the next few k's i managed to catch him and settled in behind his wheel for some payback, he tried his best to shake me but after 5k's of this he was blown and started to coast. So i upped the pace, passed him, returned the look and off i go!, and bugger me hes trying to suck wheel again! i managed to open a sizable gap and stay ahead, thankfully the crit track at nundah wasn't more than a couple of k's away and so with some relief i turned off onto the track and headed to the covered area for a spell where i spent the next 10 minutes heaving and coughing my lungs up.

The ride home was exhilarating! doing up to 38kph along the big straights with the wind at my back was pure joy. Once i was at home i headed for the shower, pulling the jersey over my head i got a definite whiff of ammonia, hmm i must have gone anaerobic and started burning protein during the ride.

I hope the wind dies away soon mate , i've learned to live with it but it makes the ride bloody hard work!
Halfanewb

Postby tuco » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:17 pm

Imanewbie wrote:I hear ya about that wind Tuco, its been a pita this week. The first leg of the daily ride is right into it , so its been a case of dropping back a couple of gears and hard work to keep the cadence up. There are a few sheltered areas in the wetlands but for the most part the wind is either screaming off the ocean or along shultzes canal.

Yesterday as i was doing the ride i passed a few guys doing the same run and one of them decided as i went pass that this was a prime opportunity for him to suck my wheel. About 8k's later there is a small bald hill that rises about 11m over a 60m stretch of the track and the wind howls across it. By the time i hit the top i was stuffed and this guy pops out and passes me giving me a look on the way past. Well stuff that ! instead of taking a breather i dug deep and picked up the pace, he is giving it heaps and accelerates away and by the time we turn onto shultzes canal he is 300m ahead.

Resisting the urge to try and catch him in a hurry i settled into my best cadence and breathing routine dropping back a gear in the big gusts and upping it back again , over the next few k's i managed to catch him and settled in behind his wheel for some payback, he tried his best to shake me but after 5k's of this he was blown and started to coast. So i upped the pace, passed him, returned the look and off i go!, and bugger me hes trying to suck wheel again! i managed to open a sizable gap and stay ahead, thankfully the crit track at nundah wasn't more than a couple of k's away and so with some relief i turned off onto the track and headed to the covered area for a spell where i spent the next 10 minutes heaving and coughing my lungs up.

The ride home was exhilarating! doing up to 38kph along the big straights with the wind at my back was pure joy. Once i was at home i headed for the shower, pulling the jersey over my head i got a definite whiff of ammonia, hmm i must have gone anaerobic and started burning protein during the ride.

I hope the wind dies away soon mate , i've learned to live with it but it makes the ride bloody hard work!

Main thing is you turned off while still ahead.

Just checked the Bureau of Met. web site and the wind was gusting up to 50km/h at 11:30am
Sure glad I'm driving home.
tuco

Postby Bnej » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:51 pm

You know someone drafting you actually gives you a slight benefit too? Cause they're pedalling in your vacuum, some of their effort goes into pushing you along.
Bnej

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:59 pm

Bnej wrote:You know someone drafting you actually gives you a slight benefit too? Cause they're pedalling in your vacuum, some of their effort goes into pushing you along.

A slight advantage, you wouldn't notice it, but non the less its still there.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides
ImageImageImage
training log
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:36 pm

Don't you guys tend get wind over there very often? :? WA is renowned for a howling South-Westerly (if you watch the cricket, it is known as the Fremantle Doctor). During summer, it averages 20-30kmh from about 11am and stops blowing when it gets dark.

You never learn to like it, but you get used to it and really do learn how to bend your back to get any aero advantage you possibly can.

The route I normally take, with a seabreeze, has me going into the wind on the way our averaging maybe 23kmh. On the way back, with the wind in my back, the average certainly picks up - 6-8kmh - and there is one stretch where I cruise at 45-50kmh and barely feel it. As much as I hate the run out, I loooooooooooooove the run home.

No wonder WA has the best windsurfing in Australia :D

Moo...
moosterbounce

Postby tuco » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:50 pm

I suppose it depends when you do most of your riding.

Excluding races 95% of my riding is finished before 7am, well before any breeze springs up.
tuco

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:09 pm

moosterbounce wrote:WA is renowned for a howling South-Westerly

So you should live to the north east of the CBD and that way you get no wind into work and a tail wind home.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides
ImageImageImage
training log
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Aussteve2712 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:08 pm

Bnej wrote:You know someone drafting you actually gives you a slight benefit too? Cause they're pedalling in your vacuum, some of their effort goes into pushing you along.

On some of the hills where I live I reckon I am in a vacuum a lot of the time.
Aussteve2712

Postby gdl_gdl » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:47 pm

So you should live to the north east of the CBD and that way you get no wind into work and a tail wind home.

I live 37km North / North West of the CBD and you're right, I nearly always get the benefit of the coastal breeze on the return journey back to the North for my rides.

(It's a bit too far to commute by bike and the train is only a 32 minute trip - I gave up on using the car to go to the CBD a couple of years ago.)

Although Saturday was a WSW so that was harder than usual, and in the summer time you get a few straight Easterly's and they're killers as all my rides are either North or South facing.

Cheers,

Gary
gdl_gdl

Postby daacha » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:48 am

I hate the wind as well but i hate it even more when you have a head wind going out and the only thing keeping you motivated is the thought of a tailwing coming home........and of course the wind shifts and you get a headwing going home as well.
daacha

Postby tuco » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:53 am

Phew!

The wind has dropped. It's was back to a pleasant 10km/h with 15km/h gusts today.
tuco

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:55 am

daacha wrote:I hate the wind as well but i hate it even more when you have a head wind going out and the only thing keeping you motivated is the thought of a tailwing coming home........and of course the wind shifts and you get a headwing going home as well.

Been there done that. Have a squarish course that I follow, and at times, if it wasn't a headwind, its a severe crosswind. Makes you want to ring the missus and get picked up.

But us dumb people keep soldiering on !!!
MichaelB

Postby pospete » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:36 pm

Yes i hate wind too, but the Doc says it's a side efect from the combination therapy.
Talk to the hand
pospete

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:30 pm

pospete wrote:Yes i hate wind too, but the Doc says it's a side efect from the combination therapy.

:lol:

GOLD!
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to General discussion