Tri Bars ... Worth it?

Aushiker

Tri Bars ... Worth it?

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:18 pm

G'day

Riding 50 km tonight on the Surly LHT into winds getting up over 40 km/h had me wondering about the advantages of aero bars on the Surly.

The Surly is a pretty relaxed geometry so I can ride comfortably on the drops. Would tri-bars give me much more benefit? If yes, what should I look for in them? Any other issues to consider?

Thanks
Andrew

rolandp

Re: Tri Bars ... Worth it?

Postby rolandp » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:44 pm

Andrew, may have a spare set that you could borrow. Personally never used as I have the MTB with bull-bars.

Hebden

Postby Hebden » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:12 am

I do a 95km trip to work once per week. It’s down hill and mostly flat. I road it with my 9.5kg ALU TT bike spending lots of time on the aero bars and I did it in 2:38, it was a wet day. I then road my roadie, 7.8kg Titanium frame spending some time on the drops but not as much as I did on the aero due to the comfort factor. It took 2:49 on the roadie and it was a dry day. Both times I had the same 75ltr backpack (not very aero at all) with all the same stuff in it. Note the roadie does have 32 spoke training wheels and the TT is an Aero frame and less spokes in the wheels, bladed spokes at the front.

I think the aero bars will make a noticeable difference into a head wind especially, once you’re comfortable on them. I would look for some that have lots of adjustability, especially if you’re putting it on a non TT bike.

Addict

Postby Addict » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:51 am

Aushiker wrote:G'day

Riding 50 km tonight on the Surly LHT into winds getting up over 40 km/h had me wondering about the advantages of aero bars on the Surly.

The Surly is a pretty relaxed geometry so I can ride comfortably on the drops. Would tri-bars give me much more benefit? If yes, what should I look for in them? Any other issues to consider?

Thanks
Andrew
if its a flat road - it will help a fair bit.. esp with serious headwinds... but we are talking something like picking up additional speeds of 2-3kph??..doesnt sound like much but makes a difference over 50kms...even on the drops this wouldnt be as aero dynamic as sitting on tri bars.

if its hilly.. not so much.. as i imagine you would be standing up a fairbit..

the other real benefit about having aero bars.. is that it saves your back.. pretty good when ur doing triathlons..

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:16 am

rolandp wrote:Andrew, may have a spare set that you could borrow. Personally never used as I have the MTB with bull-bars.
Thanks for the offer Roland. I guess they are a clip on type, maybe adjustable?

The ones I am considering or of this type, is these by Profile Design, the Airstryke.

Regards
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:57 pm

Aushiker, are you doing the forum ride this sat? If so you can see my setup. Masi Speciale CX and I have aero bars on it now.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:09 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Aushiker, are you doing the forum ride this sat? If so you can see my setup. Masi Speciale CX and I have aero bars on it now.
Thanks, but I am missing the forum ride as I thought it was Sunday?

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:32 pm

Addict wrote:if its a flat road - it will help a fair bit.. esp with serious headwinds... but we are talking something like picking up additional speeds of 2-3kph??..doesnt sound like much but makes a difference over 50kms...even on the drops this wouldnt be as aero dynamic as sitting on tri bars.
G'day

My commuting is rolling "hills", around 300 metres or so, so no hills as such. 2 to 3 kph would be nice. This afternoon it looks like my ride will be into 50 to 60 km/h winds :shock:

Andrew

Addict

Postby Addict » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:29 pm

hi mate - should be fine..
theres a couple off ebay that are worth looking into...depending on what your after and your $$ budget..

iam looking at these off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Profile-Design-T2-C ... %26ps%3D33

http://cgi.ebay.com/Profile-Design-T2-P ... %26ps%3D33

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:46 pm

Come on Andrew, you already know what you really need for those head winds. You're just in denial. ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:24 pm

Andrew, the spare ones I've got are Profile Design. If you want to borrow them, let me know.

Please ignore Kalgrm's comment, we know he is full of 'wind' :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:31 am

Kalgrm wrote:Come on Andrew, you already know what you really need for those head winds. You're just in denial. ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
:lol: :lol: Got any beard growin' tips fer the lad? :wink:
rolandp wrote:Please ignore Kalgrm's comment, we know he is full of 'wind' :D
I thought Graeme was beneath such a thing as wind until he gets on one of his "real bikes". Yer know, the ones with fat tyres :P

Andrew, chances are they'll help greatly into Perth wind but remember the different handling when on the aeros.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:29 pm

rolandp wrote:Andrew, the spare ones I've got are Profile Design. If you want to borrow them, let me know.
Thanks Roland; much appreciated. PM Sent.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 03, 2009 4:53 pm

G'day

Thanks to Rolandp, I have a set of tri-bars to try out on Sir Lancelot. I fitted them today, so will give them a shot this evening. The Garmin Edge 305 still mounts okay on the stem but I had to move the Fenix L2D around. I need to work out the best options but for starters put one on the end of the tri-bars and one hanging underneath the handlebar.

Will see how this works out.

Regards
Andrew

Addict

Postby Addict » Wed May 06, 2009 9:31 am

looks good mate!
keen to hear how u go with the tri bars..

m@

Postby m@ » Wed May 20, 2009 4:39 pm

Noticed that Torpedo7has these babies going out the door for $100 at the moment...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe