helmet tactics

V17L

helmet tactics

Postby V17L » Sun May 03, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi
I have a number of riders in our family and I was looking at all our helmets over the weekend and have a few queries.

How long is a helmet good for if it looks in good condition, 5 years, 7 years or perhaps 10 years or more?

Helmets must have the Australian Standards sticker, but is there any benefit for also getting the Snell Foundation Stickered helmet?

Is a $50 helmet just as good as a $300 helmet, ignoring the weight advantage?
regards
steve
Giant Defy 1

ruscook

Re: helmet tactics

Postby ruscook » Sun May 03, 2009 9:19 pm

V17L wrote:Hi
I have a number of riders in our family and I was looking at all our helmets over the weekend and have a few queries.

How long is a helmet good for if it looks in good condition, 5 years, 7 years or perhaps 10 years or more?

Helmets must have the Australian Standards sticker, but is there any benefit for also getting the Snell Foundation Stickered helmet?

Is a $50 helmet just as good as a $300 helmet, ignoring the weight advantage?
regards
steve
Can't answer all of this but I'll try.
1) generally motorbike helmets are recommended for replacement at 2yrs if used every day, 4yrs otherwise. Why, because the foam AND padding, ages compreses, and loses the attributes that make it help in an accident.
2) After reading a lengthy study of motorbike helmets and the Snell test on Cycleworld a couple of years ago, I'd say no.
3) Generally no, but of course some brand names inflate their prices. Don't expect a helmet twice as expensive to be twice is good, more likely a few percentage points better at most. It's not just weight, it's putting the right strength of material in the right place to minimise damage to you and maximise airflow. This R&D costs, and then marketing departments play with it and add things like percieved market value etc..... My advice get a helmet that fits well, feels light, gives the gaps for airflow you like, is comfortable and in your price range. They all (from reputable dealers) meet the minimum Aussie standards so only pay for the features you can identify you need.

Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

V17L

Re: helmet tactics

Postby V17L » Sun May 03, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks Ruscook. I will be replacing some of the helmets over the coming weeks as some of them are 10 years old.

I have just read a few other posts below my original and see some answers to my questions. :oops: :oops: :oops:

regards
steve
Giant Defy 1