Racing query

User avatar
tuco
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Racing query

Postby tuco » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:02 am

I've heard you can't race carrying a pump. The reason the guy gave was that it may fall off mid race and go into someone's spokes. I've seen drink bottles dropped but not pumps fall off.

I've seen many, many people race with pumps. I keep forgetting to ask on race day if this is true.

Personally I don't race with the pump or lights (I have one of those older style heavy steady beam front lights) or the little bag under my seat.
If I have a puncture then I'm out of the race anyway and will be picked up and on the circuit races I can swap a wheel if I want to continue.

I've also heard you can't race without the little plugs on the ends of the handle bars. That makes sense.

Are there any other obscure rules like this for racing I should know about?

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 17056
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Racing query

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:33 am

tuco wrote:I've heard you can't race carrying a pump. The reason the guy gave was that it may fall off mid race and go into someone's spokes. I've seen drink bottles dropped but not pumps fall off.

I've seen many, many people race with pumps. I keep forgetting to ask on race day if this is true.

Personally I don't race with the pump or lights (I have one of those older style heavy steady beam front lights) or the little bag under my seat.
If I have a puncture then I'm out of the race anyway and will be picked up and on the circuit races I can swap a wheel if I want to continue.

I've also heard you can't race without the little plugs on the ends of the handle bars. That makes sense.

Are there any other obscure rules like this for racing I should know about?


Are the rules written anywhere?

I better repalce that missing handle bar plug.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
tuco
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Re: Racing query

Postby tuco » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:05 am

mikesbytes wrote:
tuco wrote:I've heard you can't race carrying a pump. The reason the guy gave was that it may fall off mid race and go into someone's spokes. I've seen drink bottles dropped but not pumps fall off.

I've seen many, many people race with pumps. I keep forgetting to ask on race day if this is true.

Personally I don't race with the pump or lights (I have one of those older style heavy steady beam front lights) or the little bag under my seat.
If I have a puncture then I'm out of the race anyway and will be picked up and on the circuit races I can swap a wheel if I want to continue.

I've also heard you can't race without the little plugs on the ends of the handle bars. That makes sense.

Are there any other obscure rules like this for racing I should know about?


Are the rules written anywhere?

I better repalce that missing handle bar plug.


Only word of mouth so far but I can understand not wanting to be speared by a hollow metal tube. :shock:

I'd lost mine (well really they fell out) and the lbs guys replaced them when the bike was serviced.

User avatar
LuckyPierre
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:18 am

Our (ACT Vets) race rules don't mention pumps. I'd say that everyone carries one - either in some sort of holder on the frame or in a jersey pocket, and, yes, I know of at least one incident where one was dropped. There wasn't any accident and the good thing is that it was spotted and picked up by the turn marshalls on their way back to the start / finish!
Our rules make the plugging of bar ends compulsory. If the ends were exposed, then they could / would make a mess of your thigh (or any part of your anatomy, really) in a fall.
ACT Vets Race Rules

User avatar
tuco
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Postby tuco » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:39 am

An interesting read Lucky.

Interesting how different clubs have different rules. You can go over the centre line if they're not double lines and we get can't cross the centre under any circumstances and if we do it's a $50 fine.

Halfanewb
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Postby Halfanewb » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:53 am

I can understand about the pump during racing , after all it might get caught in your trouser leg! :lol:

User avatar
LuckyPierre
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:58 am

tuco wrote: ... You can go over the centre line if they're not double lines and we get can't cross the centre under any circumstances ...

The rules are explicit in saying not to cross double lines, they don't say we can cross the centre line - I suppose that's an example of the things you were looking for.
'Obeying the general road rules' accounts for plenty of things - not riding more than two abreast, not crossing the centre line etc. The Race Director's briefing material covers a lot of stuff - the 'common sense' things that we shouldn't need to be reminded of.
Not crossing the centre line constrains madness (read speed) in cornering. Quite a few of our courses have turns / curves that need some braking and there's always someone who has to ignore safety and blast through them. :? Anyone coming to the Canberra Tour will find out what I mean, as they get to tackle the descent down Mt McDonald and the descent into Condor Creek, both of which have some curves in fast, technical descents that are taken at high (70 km/hr plus) speed. So, bring your brakes, not just your climbing legs. :wink:

User avatar
LuckyPierre
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:59 am

Imanewbie wrote:I can understand about the pump during racing , after all it might get caught in your trouser leg! :lol:

No, your trouser clips should prevent that. :wink:

User avatar
pospete
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:33 pm
Location: Doncaster, Melbourne

Postby pospete » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:28 pm

I have yet to see a racing queery! :lol: Tho I have been wolf whistled on Beach Road :wink:
Talk to the hand

531db
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:25 pm
Location: Riding a real steel bike - somewhere!

Postby 531db » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:25 pm

There is absolutely no rules/regs that prohibit the carrying of pumps in road racing.

I carry a full size pump under my top tube for all road races, and 1 or 2 spare tubes and tyre levers in my jumper's back pocket.

The Stromo crit circut in the ACT, which is only 1200m in length is the only circut where I might leave the pump/tubes/levers behind, because I'd only have a maximum walk of about 400m back to the start finish if I punctured.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:32 pm

Postby heavymetal » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:16 pm

What about panniers? :shock: Are they mentioned in the rules? I can fill mine with styrofoam :lol:

Kev.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Carrots, Comedian, newierider