Rear-view mirrors

Joeblake

Re: Rear-view mirrors

Postby Joeblake » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:21 pm

hartleymartin wrote:I am yet to find a satisfactory mirror for any of my bicycles. The few times I did have a mirror, I found myself constantly having to adjust it.
I use the Cat Eye style which mounts in the end of the bar. I have no difficulty with having to (occasionally) adjust the mirror, because I've found that having the thing screwed up TOO tight has resulted in my breaking the mirror stalk when I hit it with my leg or arm getting on or off (the 'bents). It's just a matter of trying to find the right balance between rigidity to give a constant view and flexibility to prevent damage.

http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-Round-Bar- ... y_sg_img_b

The round ones can go on either the left or the right side.

And they're just about cheap enough to be disposable. (Almost).
Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

zues

Postby zues » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:47 pm

When I started riding again the first thing I bought was a mirror. I find doing 40km/hr I cant hear whats coming up behind, especially some of the new 4WD. Anyway it wasnt long before I found it to be a distraction so I took it off.
However I like the look of Wombats mirror sitting above the STI.
Wouldnt mind trialling one.
Henry

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:53 pm

Joeblake wrote:
hartleymartin wrote:I am yet to find a satisfactory mirror for any of my bicycles. The few times I did have a mirror, I found myself constantly having to adjust it.
I use the Cat Eye style which mounts in the end of the bar. I have no difficulty with having to (occasionally) adjust the mirror, because I've found that having the thing screwed up TOO tight has resulted in my breaking the mirror stalk when I hit it with my leg or arm getting on or off (the 'bents).
+1

They break IME.

I prefer the B&M Cyclestar short stalk mirror

or the no-stalk model for the drop-bar end

Very sturdy construction and a ball & saocket joint that doesn't move too easily. Good German engineering :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:03 pm

sharktamin wrote:Since reading this 19 days ago I have watched and counted bikes with mirrors. In the city (Mel), suburbs and on trails I must have checked hundreds of bikes and have to date seen only one mirror, and that was on a MTB on a trail!
I could look around the streets at night and see many bikes (majority?) with no lights. That doesn't mean lights are not a wise idea.

Most people are generally too caught up in the TdF 'racer wannabe' image to demean themselves with a mirror!!! That or it's just more $$$ to throw at a bike that was supposed to be a money-saving cheap transport ie. $80 for new tyres will be overcapitalising on this bike :roll:
Mandatory helmet law?

Dial

Postby Dial » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:18 am

Each to there own but I found mirrors a distraction. It's best staying focused on what's happening out front and let the traffic behind you sort it out for themselves.

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:22 pm

I have one of these and find that it is remarkably stable, and doesn't move about much at all of its own accord (at the hands of the four year old in my house is a different story :) ). It does protrude a bit further than is occasionally comfortable, but that's about its ownly (minor) fault.

I have some back/neck problems which can make it uncomfortable for me to look behind, so this means I can keep an eye on what's following me without turning round too often.

In my opinion, it's all about getting as much info as possible about the space you're travelling in. If you can see more of what's going on around you, front or rear, surely that's an advantage?

wombatK

Re:

Postby wombatK » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:42 pm

gavinr wrote: In my opinion, it's all about getting as much info as possible about the space you're travelling in. If you can see more of what's going on around you, front or rear, surely that's an advantage?
It's illegal to drive a car or motorbike on a road without a rear-view mirror. So they obviously contribute to road safety.

Why should bicycle riders be allowed on roads without the same safety measure ? Cyclists are pretty quick to claim the right to use the road like any other vehicle - what about using mirrors like any other vehicle ?

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

elantra

Re: Re:

Postby elantra » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:16 pm

wombatK wrote:
gavinr wrote: In my opinion, it's all about getting as much info as possible about the space you're travelling in. If you can see more of what's going on around you, front or rear, surely that's an advantage?
It's illegal to drive a car or motorbike on a road without a rear-view mirror. So they obviously contribute to road safety.

Why should bicycle riders be allowed on roads without the same safety measure ? Cyclists are pretty quick to claim the right to use the road like any other vehicle - what about using mirrors like any other vehicle ?

Cheers
ditto, and i love my mirror (zefal) mounted on the drop-bar bike.

but i suspect i use my bike mirror a lot more than some motorists use their car mirrors.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:20 pm

I have a bar end mounted mirror on R handlebar, but can't find a pic of the precise one. It's pretty sleek, doesn't look dorky. It's rectangular, with rounded edges, and doubt it catches much wind. It is very useful, and no, it doesn't stop me from head checks. I use it for a few reasons. First, I ride on the road a lot, and find it handy to know what's coming from behind. I usually glance a few times before the head check and only then do I change lanes. Secondly, I have been hit from behind by a car when I rode a motorbike years ago, and I'm a bit fearful of it happening again (not that it would stop it happening, but it might help). Finally, when I'm riding a bike path, on the very rare occasions that I get overtaken :wink:, it's handy to glance in the mirror and know when it's going to happen.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:21 am

Before I start, there was a more recent thread on this, now locked. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24244

Here's hope that there's a convergence of technologies as like in the mobile phone where we now have camera, GPS, MP3 player and apps for obscure things like digital calipers. So far I've come across this bike computer that incorporates a rear LED light and within that a rear-view camera for display on the computer with a spin-off recording facility for capturing rear-end collisions, http://www.cerevellum.com/ . Doesn't look good enough for me to shell out US$349 with present capabilities but it offers promises. Simply as a rear-view it would perform better than most mirrors as the shake factor is eliminated.

Keep your eye out for future products of this kind (if your eye isn't stuck in the rear-view). Maybe someone will simply invent a mobile phone app to plug your bike-mounted phone directly into that rear-view LED/camera module and we cut out bike computers altogether, as well as mirrors?

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:51 pm

]
stryker84 wrote:So, bottom line for mine? Mirrors: Definitely beneficial, but not essential, and also do not eliminate need for appropriate riding, checking of traffic, and signalling.
Thread needs reviving.

I agree with that esp when riding with someone who is slower. I don't have to worry about how far behind they are constantly.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm glad you revived it :)

We currently have MTB and use Cat Eye bar end mirrors and find them to be very good. But we are upgrading to road bikes (not flat bar road bikes) but with flat bars with bar ends and I was wondering what mirrors would be suitable?

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:13 pm

Aushiker wrote:G'day

All my bikes with the exception of Julia have mirrors. The two I ride regularly have Zefal Spy Mirrors. Great for the Ergo 500 :)

Regards
Andrew
+1 these are great for drop bar road bikes, the best i have found!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:17 pm

breezer1 wrote:
Aushiker wrote:G'day

All my bikes with the exception of Julia have mirrors. The two I ride regularly have Zefal Spy Mirrors. Great for the Ergo 500 :)

Regards
Andrew
+1 these are great for drop bar road bikes, the best i have found!
Does anyone find these zefal spy mirrors keep turning in? I tightened it up, but mine keeps blowing in which is a little annoying. :(

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:26 pm

The Italian road bike mirror from Aspire Velo Tech.
A bugger to set up right, a dream thereafter.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Comedian

Rear-view mirrors

Postby Comedian » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:43 pm

Oxford wrote:
Comedian wrote:Does anyone find these zefal spy mirrors keep turning in? I tightened it up, but mine keeps blowing in which is a little annoying. :(
Yep, I found it useless as it kept turning on the bars no matter how tight I had the strap. I dumped it in favour of a glasses mounted mirror which I find absolutely brilliant, its constantly looking just past my ear so a little swivel of the head has it looking at whatever I need to view. Very stable as I have good solid glasses to mount it on and allows me to pan wherever I want.
Linky? :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:54 pm

Here's one

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/ ... ist-mirror

US seller though, so shows it on LH side. The mirror does seem to be adjustable, maybe able to reverse the side you view it from :?:

Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Comedian wrote:Does anyone find these zefal spy mirrors keep turning in? I tightened it up, but mine keeps blowing in which is a little annoying. :(
Not for me unless I bump it and really that dosen't bother me. Quick and easy to re-adjust. I have just ordered a third one so guess I am pretty happy with them :)

Andew
Last edited by Aushiker on Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:36 pm

CommuRider wrote:I agree with that esp when riding with someone who is slower. I don't have to worry about how far behind they are constantly.
I think they could also be useful when riding side by side, then I would not have to constantly look behind to see if I should convert to single file to get out of the way of cars.
Mulger bill wrote:Image
i saw these a while ago but don't know if i can actually see what i want to see since its so small.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:20 pm

+1

The lens in these is glass so they are clearer than the average mirror.

A MAJOR pain to set up so make sure you are happy with your handle bar setup and you are not planning to change.

Also remember you will need to remove and reapply/replace your bar tape.

Little to no vibration and no where near as susceptible to "knock" damage as most other mirrors.

When mine eventually dies I will buy another for my commuter and will buy a second for my weekender when I need to replace the bar tape.

njg02

Postby njg02 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:43 pm

I bought this from these guys.http://bagear.com.au/Take-a-Look-Mirror-p-1913.html..
A bit dearer but I was able to pick it up at lunch time. I've attached it to my visor on the lhs and I have short shaft round jobby from Germany as mentioned earlier on the rhs. I ride bent and turning the head is a bit tough.
Neil

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:25 pm

eeksll wrote:i saw these a while ago but don't know if i can actually see what i want to see since its so small.
It's bigger than it looks. It's also proper glass so it's very clear and slightly convex to increase the FOV.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:41 pm

bosvit wrote:
+1

The lens in these is glass so they are clearer than the average mirror.

A MAJOR pain to set up so make sure you are happy with your handle bar setup and you are not planning to change.

Also remember you will need to remove and reapply/replace your bar tape.

Little to no vibration and no where near as susceptible to "knock" damage as most other mirrors.

When mine eventually dies I will buy another for my commuter and will buy a second for my weekender when I need to replace the bar tape.
Absolutley a fantastic safety item, eg cars parked in your bike lane, a quick glance and you can swing out if all is clear, love it.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:46 pm

I've looked through all of this old thread and cant see anything that makes me want to buy!

After a few weeks using a cheap mirror that was crap I started using the Mirrycle about 5 years ago and it's been great.

www.mirrycle.com/mountain_mirrycle.php

I'm not getting into the rights and wrongs of using a mirror, I do and feel lost without one, end of story!

My point is that I recently got a new bike and am yet to fit a mirror. I was considering putting on bar ends, which would mean the Mirrycle would not be able to be fitted. The Zefal spy mirror seems to get around this but comments have not been that favorable. Is there anything clever like the Italian road bike mirror for flat bar/mountain bikes? I realise that particular design wouldn't work but maybe something equally as creative and discreet!

Cheers
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

mylesau

Rear-view mirrors

Postby mylesau » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:18 pm

I've had a Zefal Spy for a couple of years and highly recommend it. They aren't expensive and provided you can place them where you can see past your arm (depends on your bars and hand placement) they work great.

Personally I wouldn't want anything larger as it would likely get in the way. I only want to see if something is coming up behind me and the Zefal does that well.

If you want a larger set of comments (mostly very positive) jump on over to Wiggle and look up the Zefal and read the reviews.