things I learnt today....

robbie d

Re: things I learnt today....

Postby robbie d » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:36 am

something else to note, the aforementioned polskie ogerkies juice goes well as part of salad dressing (but remove the salad from the fridge first)

msn

Postby msn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:40 am

and you should not spill it on pavlova. :)

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:51 am

I learnt that even though the light is green you should always have a quick look to the right... semi's travel at different speeds than cars and may take a bit longer to get across the intersection...

mjd

Postby mjd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:17 am

I learnt that a p plater in a high powered v8 ute running late for work can be very dangerous. I was heading down a small hill in centre of lane arm out indicating a right turn. As i started to turn heard the screaching of tyres and saw a semi sideways ute as I looked over my shoulder heading for me. Pulled up out of turn to gain some distance an got missed by about a metre. He thought he could get past me in time and he was more shaken than me and very apologetic. Told me he would be a lot more vigilant in the future.

Pavlova

Postby Pavlova » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:50 pm

mjd wrote:I learnt that a p plater in a high powered v8 ute running late for work can be very dangerous. I was heading down a small hill in centre of lane arm out indicating a right turn. As i started to turn heard the screaching of tyres and saw a semi sideways ute as I looked over my shoulder heading for me. Pulled up out of turn to gain some distance an got missed by about a metre. He thought he could get past me in time and he was more shaken than me and very apologetic. Told me he would be a lot more vigilant in the future.
A kind of nice story then, as not many p platers in v8 utes would be anything like shaken or apologetic. (apologies to any p platers in v8 utes who have been unjustly slandered by this sweeping generalisation).
robbie d wrote:something else to note, the aforementioned polskie ogerkies juice goes well as part of salad dressing (but remove the salad from the fridge first)
Thanks for the tip, will be sure to try it
msn wrote:and you should not spill it on pavlova. :)
:)
2009 Malver Star Oppy Bol D'or
2008 Giant CRX2
Couple of old clangers (one with kiddie seat)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:53 pm

I learnt today what the sound of spokes becoming loose is like. My factory wheels has lost a lot of tension. I've got a better set of wheels with the same spec as those ones, so they will not be repaired.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:53 pm

That I can ride further on an exercise bike in the gym but its more fun to be out in the elements and going slower on a real bike.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:22 pm

Today i learn't that my mobile phone still works after i reversed a car over it. :shock:

But there is a blank spot on the display and a few scratches.
gives it character.

peter.k

Postby peter.k » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:01 pm

Until yesterday I had never put my hands on top of the hoods on my road bike (oppy c5). I use the centre of the bars, the corners, the drops, behind the hoods, but never with the top of the hood on the palm of my hand. I realised how comfortable it was when bending the elbows to get low for climbing.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:24 am

If you go to Car Lovers (or similar), DONT use the bay that the taxi has just used. Took me a minute to realise I was standing in the residual puke he'd just washed out of his taxi. :evil:

(Yes - was in a car today as I'm racing tonight and I haven't driven MY car since January, so I needed to sort the spiders/dust/bird crap).
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Missy24 wrote:I learnt that even though the light is green you should always have a quick look to the right... semi's travel at different speeds than cars and may take a bit longer to get across the intersection...
i saw a moped rider almost die like this, on king's way and albert road. rider took off on the green, a truck that was waiting for the intersection to clear decided to take off, well after his light had gone red. luckily moped rider hit the brakes, but it was close. truck wasn't about to stop for her.

always look!

Pavlova

Postby Pavlova » Thu May 13, 2010 6:30 pm

Learnt today that bottom of bike shoe is very slippery in the rain if trying to pedal without being clipped in (taking off at green light). Foot shot off pedal, almost stopped in middle of intersection :oops: , scrape and bruise on leg (my sister in law would say "do you want cries with that tear burger?"), luckily only one cautious driver behind me (i was claiming the right hand lane as left lane was turn only).
2008 Giant CRX2

X-wing

Postby X-wing » Fri May 14, 2010 5:45 pm

"Cries with that tearburger"! Harsh, but very funny! :D :D

I learnt that the best laid plans to commute don't stand a chance when your wife wants to meet up after work to 'go somewhere nice for dinner'. :)

hannos

Postby hannos » Fri May 14, 2010 8:47 pm

peter.k wrote:Until yesterday I had never put my hands on top of the hoods on my road bike (oppy c5). I use the centre of the bars, the corners, the drops, behind the hoods, but never with the top of the hood on the palm of my hand. I realised how comfortable it was when bending the elbows to get low for climbing.
Tried this on the way home into a headwind today. It was surprisingly comfortable.
2010 BMC SLC01

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun May 16, 2010 6:11 pm

Might have been covered in the previous 9 pages, but I learnt you shouldn't grease a star nut and the steerer tube should be as clean and dry as possible. :oops:

Pavlova

Postby Pavlova » Tue May 18, 2010 3:26 pm

Nobody wrote:Might have been covered in the previous 9 pages, but I learnt you shouldn't grease a star nut and the steerer tube should be as clean and dry as possible. :oops:
What was the result of greasing your star nut? (that sounds a bit rude!)
2008 Giant CRX2

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue May 18, 2010 8:26 pm

It would not get/keep the headset bearings tight. The star nut would just gradually pull to the top of the steerer tube as you tightened the bolt.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed May 19, 2010 8:45 am

I learnt the futility of working on a BSO (Bike Shaped Object), a 24" hardtail MTB. Owner got it on sale for her child for $30 from one of the chain stores, but the rear wheel was rubbing on the brakes (wheel was out of true) and a LBS wanted $60 just to look at it. So I trued the wheel working from one side of the rim... only to discover that the rim itself isn't straight - I got one side to within 0.5mm only to find the other side was out by up to 2mm in places. :roll: I didn't bother truing the front, but I did sort out the brakes, so hopefully it won't kill anyone.

Rowley Runner

Postby Rowley Runner » Fri May 21, 2010 12:53 am

Stating "i haven't had a puncture in ages" will without fail see you get all those punctures you haven't had, visiting you in a single day!
Bents for La Tour

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:51 am

When swapping cassettes on a wheel, it is a BAD idea to (accidentally) use a 9-speed lockring on a 10-speed cassette. Flying down a hill, gone for the 11 and the chain has just slipped over the gear. Luckily I was on the saddle at the time - could have been nasty.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:41 pm

Forgot to update this. Something I learnt last week. Mark the steerer properly before you start cutting. :oops:

From the "Cyclocross madness" thread:
Nobody wrote:Fitted a new Surly 1X1 fork recently. I measured, remeasured, tested, sweated on the length then decided to leave 15mm just in case I changed my mind. Marked the steerer at 30mm from the end. Problem was I didn't make the mark clear enough so ended up using another mark on the steerer and then cut 50mm off! :evil: :roll: :oops:

In the end the stem is 7mm above the steerer instead of 3mm. Shouldn't be a problem but if the (cheap) stem cracks (and I'm still alive) I'll likely replace it with a 40mm stack height stem instead of the current 50mm.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:46 am

twizzle wrote:When swapping cassettes on a wheel, it is a BAD idea to (accidentally) use a 9-speed lockring on a 10-speed cassette. Flying down a hill, gone for the 11 and the chain has just slipped over the gear. Luckily I was on the saddle at the time - could have been nasty.
:oops: Scratch that. Wasn't a nine-speed lock ring. Would you believe that Shimano makes a specific (small diameter) lock-ring for use with the 11-tooth cog?

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:03 pm

I learned that big, fat, 38mm 700c tyres are AWESOME in the rain compared to a 23.

Wet gravel: no problems.
Unexpected glass: no problems.
Pothole puddle: no problems.
Mud: no problems.

They almost make things too easy. I am digging my cyclocross madness!
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:13 pm

That the weather will be fine to ride tomorrow
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:27 pm

drubie wrote:I learned that big, fat, 38mm 700c tyres are AWESOME in the rain compared to a 23.

Wet gravel: no problems.
Unexpected glass: no problems.
Pothole puddle: no problems.
Mud: no problems.

They almost make things too easy. I am digging my cyclocross madness!
Medium-width tyres are great aren't they?
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty