things I learnt today....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: things I learnt today....

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:52 am

didge wrote:I learned today to check your repair stand isn't impinging your rear brake cable before you spend 15min trying to figure out why it won't release completely
:oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:24 am

gorilla monsoon wrote:Thing I learned today is that AyUps really piss-off pedestrians! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And it sounds like you also learned how much fun that is! :lol: :lol:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:27 am

Verbs & Nouns wrote:I also learnt last night that PVA glue (the white stuff) can glue leather to plastic, therefore saving my cheap secondhand Cinelli Unicantor saddle.
...until it rains. And then you will learn that PVA is water soluble. :D

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:30 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Verbs & Nouns wrote:I also learnt last night that PVA glue (the white stuff) can glue leather to plastic, therefore saving my cheap secondhand Cinelli Unicantor saddle.
Have you tried a hot glue gun? That stuff is not water soluable.
<removed by request>

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:40 pm

trailgumby wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:Thing I learned today is that AyUps really piss-off pedestrians! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And it sounds like you also learned how much fun that is! :lol: :lol:
Yes indeedy!
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:48 pm

G'day

Leading out and setting a pace is one thing, making sure you drink is another. It seems dehydration can cost you a night in hospital particular when you have an underlying heart condition :oops:

Andrew

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:55 pm

Aushiker wrote:G'day

Leading out and setting a pace is one thing, making sure you drink is another. It seems dehydration can cost you a night in hospital particular when you have an underlying heart condition :oops:

Andrew
From the same ride I learned you can ride 100km on a 600ml iced coffee and 600ml of water and no food, but you will pay the price that afternoon and the next day.

Pre-ride, ride and post-ride hydration and nutrition are all important.
<removed by request>

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:06 pm

Today i learnt that a clipstack onto concrete footpath hurts not at all if you are cushioned by Pedigree dogfood pellets in an overshoulder bag. And a loaf of bread and a carton of milk.
All intact. :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:14 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Not if you are using the top-quality PVA wood glue, water-soluble as a glue, but not once it has cured.

http://glassattic.com/polymer/glues-Diluent.htm
high grade industrial PVA glues cure hard.... not reversible with water after curing
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Postman Pat

Postby Postman Pat » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:50 pm

I learnt today not to eat bees as they sting you on the tongue :cry: :cry: :cry: ( I was sprinting up a small hill :mrgreen: )
I was 5 klm from help I rang the wife to tell her what happened and to give an eta at the shops but as luck would have it one of the local farmers left his farm to take the tractor home (near My destination) so I drafted the tractor at 30 + klm all the way to the shops :mrgreen:(tractors are a very good to draft) went to the office to get the sting removed from My tongue :wink: then off to the chemist who said go to doctor by this time I could not talk :oops: so with a Ferngan (spelling ) and 2 adrenalin needles 10 minutes apart spent an hour in the nurses room under observation the return to the post office where I could not keep my eyes open so fell asleep I got home about 6 pm and went straight to bed and promptly fell asleep again not to wake up untill the alarm the next morning :mrgreen: now on two days later not much to show for all of it fortunately. :roll: next time i catch up with the doctor I am going to ask if I can keep some thing in the bag to stop if not slow the result of a sting to the face. to think I was always worried about snakes and spiders. :shock:
Ron.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:36 pm

Bloody hell Ron. You don't muck around :) Glad you are all okay now and nothing worse come of it.

Andrew

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:20 pm

Postman Pat wrote:next time i catch up with the doctor I am going to ask if I can keep some thing in the bag to stop if not slow the result of a sting to the face.
Epipen. I ride with a guy who has to take a shot within five mins of being stung.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:11 pm

On Saturday I learned that you need to do up SPD cleat screws pretty tight or they come loose while your'e riding. And once they come loose the only way to disengage your shoe is to rip it off the cleat before you fall onto the road at the lights in the middle of stopped cars :shock:

I also learned if it is your first ride with cleats you should take the right sized Allan key with you to adjust and tighten them (I did that and it worked out ok).

But I learned that if you rip your shoe off the cleat then the thread on the screws will be damaged and that makes it hard to replace the cleat. Oh yeah, and a cleat stuck in a pedal is really hard to to get out but can be disloged with the right sized Allan key, held in the right spot and a light tap.

I also learned that hills are FUN :mrgreen:
<removed by request>

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:30 pm

Grease the cleat screws before inserting and tightening. A set seized in place after a wet ride and had to be ground out.
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:33 pm

casual_cyclist wrote: I also learned that hills are FUN :mrgreen:
Yes only the downhill part mind you :)

MitchMitchellson

Postby MitchMitchellson » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:08 am

Today, I learnt the hard way not to take your hands off the bars at any stage of riding with a strong wind about.I'm Paying for that with a minor concussion, grazed knee and elbow, bruised ribs and hip. Thankfully the bike was okay.

--Mitch

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:35 pm

MitchMitchellson wrote:Today, I learnt the hard way not to take your hands off the bars at any stage of riding with a strong wind about.I'm Paying for that with a minor concussion, grazed knee and elbow, bruised ribs and hip. Thankfully the bike was okay.

--Mitch
Were you wearing a helmet? :twisted:

I learnt today that an alloy steerer with a steel head tube means that the perfectly adjusted headset from last night (in the warm house) becomes the tight headset on the road (at 0C). :x Tight headset = weaving up the road when climbing out of the saddle.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

MitchMitchellson

Postby MitchMitchellson » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:49 pm

Twizzle: Absolutely. I wouldn't jump on my bike without one. I do beleive without the helmet I would be in a lot worse shape.
The one good aspect of this is that I now have an valid reason to go grab a new helmet and gloves. *Pats Lazer 02*

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:28 pm

I learned that if you attempt silly stunts like dismounting and remounting your bike at greater than walking pace you may get injured when it doesn't all go to plan.

I also learned that it takes a whole lot longer to repair the body damage when in your 40's compared to when you attempt said stunts when four-teen.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

kibnedyo

Postby kibnedyo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:43 pm

That the bike is faster than the car over a 5klm commute to work......even for a 46yo.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:17 am

What I learned today!

When your mate tells you that you have your saddle pointing too far down at the front, ignore him, or else you may find the crutch of your knicks caught on the front of the saddle, making it rather difficult to dismount without falling over on top of the bike. :oops:

Tom

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:38 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:What I learned today!

When your mate tells you that you have your saddle pointing too far down at the front, ignore him, or else you may find the crutch of your knicks caught on the front of the saddle, making it rather difficult to dismount without falling over on top of the bike. :oops:

Tom
I can relate to that!
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:08 pm

Full mudguards needed on a bike with a Brooks saddle. Saddle will get wet and damp if your butt is wet :oops: Got off my bike after 100km and there was a definitely very damp spot. Fortunately not malformed.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:14 pm

When you swap cassettes, make sure you do up the cassette lock-ring tight because when you are powering up a steep hill out of the saddle, the feeling of the cassette slipping is VERY scary and the sound of a lock-ring slipping is even worse!

(P.S. no, I don't know what I am doing :oops:)
<removed by request>

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:54 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:When you swap cassettes, make sure you do up the cassette lock-ring tight because when you are powering up a steep hill out of the saddle, the feeling of the cassette slipping is VERY scary and the sound of a lock-ring slipping is even worse!

(P.S. no, I don't know what I am doing :oops:)
But judging by the fact you have multiple posts in this thread you are learning :idea: :lol:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.