rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Feed - Australian Cycling Forums - Bicycles Network Australia" href="http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/feed.php" />

things I learnt today....

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: things I learnt today....

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:20 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:When you swap cassettes, make sure you do up the cassette lock-ring tight because when you are powering up a steep hill out of the saddle, the feeling of the cassette slipping is VERY scary and the sound of a lock-ring slipping is even worse!

(P.S. no, I don't know what I am doing :oops:)

But judging by the fact you have multiple posts in this thread you are learning :idea: :lol:

Thanks! I am. Yesterday was the first Audax ride I have done since I went clipless where I didn't clip-stack. So, I could equally say that yesterday I learned how to ride without clip-stacking!
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

by BNA » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:31 pm

BNA

Postby Rider123 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:31 pm

I realised today that it isn't smart to look around when you are stationary at a traffic light when you still one foot clipped in. Was looking at a bike store and there was a truck in front of me, so i leaned to my right... and i fell :(
Got back up and had a giggle :lol:
Rider123

Postby robbie d » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:48 am

The last clip-stack I had, I was coming up to a set of lights with a fellow BNA rider, I unclipped my right foot (normally my left) and went to lean on my left to stand up, and fell over, knee straight into the edge of the traffic light island. Took 2 weeks for the swelling to go down inside my knee.
Guess you could say, when you pick a side to unclip at lights, stick with it!!!
robbie d

Postby Tom Marius » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:13 am

robbie d wrote:The last clip-stack I had, I was coming up to a set of lights with a fellow BNA rider, I unclipped my right foot (normally my left) and went to lean on my left to stand up, and fell over, knee straight into the edge of the traffic light island. Took 2 weeks for the swelling to go down inside my knee.
Guess you could say, when you pick a side to unclip at lights, stick with it!!!

:evil: Ouch. Most clipstacks end up with only pride being hurt, but that one sounds nasty.
Sound advice! :wink:
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-
Tom Marius

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:59 pm

I learned something today!

When you clip in one foot and you jump on the bike against a very strong head wind while going up a hill, and you can’t get your other foot clipped quickly enough to start peddling, you roll backwards and fall over.

Tom
greyhoundtom

Postby Thoglette » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:45 pm

That when I get out of the saddle to climb a steep hill in the biggest cog, my right knee tends to operate the stem mounted shifters.
Thoglette

Postby Mitton » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:52 pm

accidently zip tying computer transmitter around fork AND a spoke is really dumb!! :oops:
XXL stumpy expert 08 - XL defy 1 09 - cycotec bmx.
Mitton

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:48 pm

I found out today that when you pump your tyres up it is essential not to forget to screw the little locknut down again, because screwing the little black cap back on without doing so will eventually let all the air out of the tyre! :oops:

Tom

PS, the way I’m learning something new on almost a weekly basis I will be able to keep this topic going on my own. :mrgreen:
greyhoundtom

Postby nickj_d » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:13 pm

today i learnt that when you're pushing s@#t into a gale force wind, swearing to yourself, don't push on for an extra 5kms thinking that it's going to be so good on the way back flying with the wind at your back. when you get to the end, do a 180 and start coming back - somehow you're still riding into the wind!!
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er
nickj_d

Postby robbie d » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:19 am

I can vouch for that, the hills around Athelstone along Gorge road here in Adelaide have a nasty habit of doing that to the wind.
robbie d

Postby aussie » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:29 am

I learnt today while riding through south bank that attaching a rearview mirror off the front of your helmet makes you look super gay...whoops.. i mean super cool :|
aussie

Postby aussie » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:30 am

greyhoundtom wrote:I learned something today!

When you clip in one foot and you jump on the bike against a very strong head wind while going up a hill, and you can’t get your other foot clipped quickly enough to start peddling, you roll backwards and fall over.

Tom

haha i did this at a set of lights the other day pretty embarrasing
aussie

Postby Chaderotti » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:30 pm

Having your hammys cramp up hurts, having your quads cramp up at the same times is painful, being pushed by the other guys in the group to pedal through the pain is extremely painful not only physically but mentally. And then to finally have your hammy seize up two thirds up a hill......
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird
Chaderotti

Postby itsaghostcar » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:52 pm

Be warned when swapping bars on your bike around ... travelling down a hill thinking that the new bars feel quite different and need a little adjusting to get the hoods in the right position is one thing

... realising that your arms and body are becoming more stretched out and your head is moving further and further forwards and towards the ground as the aforementioned new bars rotate in the stem brings a completely different reaction!

Tighten up all those nuts, bolts and screws :oops:
itsaghostcar

Postby Loneranger » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:03 pm

Don't place your chain reaction order at 11.30 at night, you might get up the next morning and find out that the main item you were supposed to be buying was forgotten... :shock:
Loneranger

Postby Tom Marius » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:34 pm

itsaghostcar wrote:Be warned when swapping bars on your bike around ... travelling down a hill thinking that the new bars feel quite different and need a little adjusting to get the hoods in the right position is one thing

... realising that your arms and body are becoming more stretched out and your head is moving further and further forwards and towards the ground as the aforementioned new bars rotate in the stem brings a completely different reaction!

Tighten up all those nuts, bolts and screws :oops:

:shock: :shock: :shock: eeeeep!
Bet that won't ever happen again :wink:
Tom Marius

Postby flashgaza » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:38 pm

Number 1. Having the correct tyre pressure does make a huge difference. Number 2. Truck drivers who think they can rattle a cyclist by driving too close are not that brave when you catch up to them, and invite them out of their cabin to explain their stupidity.

flashgaza

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:44 pm

flashgaza wrote:Number 2. Truck drivers who think they can rattle a cyclist by driving too close are not that brave when you catch up to them, and invite them out of their cabin to explain their stupidity.

Mmmmm you obviously haven’t met too many Victorian truck drivers!

I don’t think I would be game enough to tackle that one as it is an open invitation for someone to have a legitimate excuse for venting a little anger and getting one back on those irritating cyclists.

Tom
greyhoundtom

Postby rothsa » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:05 pm

I learnt to refuse pretzels before a ride is over at all costs...

2 km after I had eaten them, I was thinking 'These pretzels...ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY'...a la George
rothsa

Postby robbie d » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:07 pm

Banana skins are an easy way to recognise well-used cycling routes :)
robbie d

Postby didge » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:05 pm

I learned to make sure your cadence sensor is securely attached to your chainstay so it doesn't come loose and get ripped off by your pedal on a high speed descent, ensuring five minutes of hunting in the bushes by the side of the road. :oops: (off to find the araldite :roll: )

Also: don't try an impromptu race with another rider when your calf is starting to cramp.
didge

Postby ss--ss » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:10 pm

that magnetic 'P' plates are useless ... Saw 5 on the side of the road today
ss--ss

Postby Tom Marius » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:10 am

...sometimes you just don't wanna stop riding :D :D
Tom Marius

Postby Scuba23 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:08 pm

I learnt today that no matter how GOOD or BAD my day at work is - I'd still rather be out on the bike!

Get me out of here... I NEED to train :-)
I have to ride early in the morning, before my brain figures out what I'm doing...
Scuba23

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:50 pm

I'll give you a call sometimes means you give me a call.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion