Dual Use Bicycle Parts

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Dual Use Bicycle Parts

Postby heavymetal » Mon May 14, 2007 9:07 pm

I've found other uses for some of the gear on my bike. It's a tourer thing really, having multiple uses for things on the bike.

I've discovered that the Air Zound air horn and the Night Stick lights mount to the lawnmower :D

Now you may ask - Why mount them on a lawn mower?

The night stick lights are so I can see where I am mowing at 2 AM, and the Air Zound is for tooting when the neighbours get agro for some reason and get in my way :twisted:

The night sticks also become torches by attaching the head to the battery.

Does anyone else use their bicycle parts for non bicycling things. (I've seen that thread on bicycle furniture)

Kev.

cludence

Postby cludence » Mon May 14, 2007 9:36 pm

I just finished helping my nephew with an assigment he had and we made a flower and snail from bike chain and the petals were reflectors.

The thing I find handy with old tubes -still a bike use though; is using
them to hang up bikes over the wooden beams in my garage without scratching the frame. I just loop them around the frame.

Karen.

gururug

Postby gururug » Mon May 14, 2007 10:43 pm

I bought a several meter 1cm width black velcro roll and have found it invaluable as a replacement for cable ties it is also re-usable.

I wound some around the base of the neck on my roadie where the cables were rubbing the paint off the frame. I can use it to hold thing down/up/om in emergencies.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Tue May 15, 2007 11:49 am

gururug wrote:I bought a several meter 1cm width black velcro roll and have found it invaluable as a replacement for cable ties it is also re-usable.

I wound some around the base of the neck on my roadie where the cables were rubbing the paint off the frame. I can use it to hold thing down/up/om in emergencies.
Excellent tip.

Kev.

MJF

Re: Dual Use Bicycle Parts

Postby MJF » Tue May 15, 2007 12:22 pm

heavymetal wrote: The night stick lights are so I can see where I am mowing at 2 AM, and the Air Zound is for tooting when the neighbours get agro for some reason and get in my way :twisted:
Somehow, I don't think you really mowed the lawn (AT) 2am. I'm sure the police would have paid you a visit. But I can definitely see you having fitted them to the mower...

Next question is - when are you fitting a bike computer to the mower, and what are you going to count as cadence? :P

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue May 15, 2007 12:27 pm

Any detachable equipment from my bike would disappear and become my son's toy... Where the damn is that rear red light? I need it NOW!!! :x
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue May 15, 2007 12:57 pm

My nephew also pinches anything that comes off a bike. I have a habit of leaving screws and bolts on the floor so he collects them for me and is convinced I am able to make a Robot out of them for him. Trying to explain I am not able to, is out of the equation as far as he is concerned.

Karen.

MJF

Postby MJF » Tue May 15, 2007 2:19 pm

I just keep all my gear on a high shelf. Frustrates the hell out of the three boys. My daughter couldn't give a damn...

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Dual Use Bicycle Parts

Postby heavymetal » Tue May 15, 2007 2:43 pm

MJF wrote:Somehow, I don't think you really mowed the lawn (AT) 2am. I'm sure the police would have paid you a visit. But I can definitely see you having fitted them to the mower...

Next question is - when are you fitting a bike computer to the mower, and what are you going to count as cadence? :P
The police don't bother. It's apparently the ranger's job here :twisted: I looked at fitting a bike computer, but a mate of mine has a ride on mower with a fridge on it :D I need a bigger mower :shock:

I trialled the air zound air horn mounted to a shopping trolley in Coles :twisted: (Don't try this) and now I'm deaf.

Maybe Richard's right in his other thread, about being bored :D

I may be allowed to ride again by tomorrow

Kev.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue May 15, 2007 3:51 pm

Brakes - they'd have to be the most dual use critters on a bike. In some circumstances, they give you a wonderful sense of relief and safety as they stop you before some dreadful incident and at other times ... :twisted:

Richard

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 pm

gururug wrote:I bought a several meter 1cm width black velcro roll and have found it invaluable as a replacement for cable ties it is also re-usable.

Oh yeah, I got it from J.R. Turk (mostly used for tying down network cabling)
It will be more expensive elsewhere. Also use it to hold down my cyclocomputer.