Front 105 brifter a 3 speed when the bike is a two speed?

Sepoy

Re: Front 105 brifter a 3 speed when the bike is a two speed?

Postby Sepoy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:25 pm

Last edited by Sepoy on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eastway Emitter R3

Sepoy

Postby Sepoy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:29 pm

m@ wrote:Depends on which stop is your outer chainring position - if it's the middle shifter position (or trim), loosening the cable can then allow it to get into the top position; you may then be unable to shift back down and could break the shifter if you try.

I think. :?

My head hurts... :roll: :wink:
I'm getting a bit confused, some people in this thread have said I need to have the very top click as my large chainring and the lower two as the smaller chainring, which would involve loosening the calbe to allow this to occur, others seem to be saying that I need to have the middle click as my large chain ring and then limit it with the high gear stop, which would involve tightening the cable and having both the middle and top on the large chain ring.
Eastway Emitter R3

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:04 pm

Sepoy wrote:I'm getting a bit confused,
Me too, I might have set my shifter up backwards to how I described it :? But I don't think so because if I had used the top two clicks then I would have slack cable if I was already on the small chainring and accidentally clicked for a downshift that wasn't there.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

Sepoy

Postby Sepoy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:25 pm

Oh !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! oh !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! oh !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, I tightened it up and then when I was testing downshifting it made a large snapping sound and now when I click down I feel things rattling and crunching inside the shifter.
Eastway Emitter R3

Sepoy

Postby Sepoy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:53 pm

I took it into a store and the shifter has stripped, the store guys told me it will cost $600 to replace. Does anyone know how I can do it for cheaper than this? I really don't have anything like $600 to spare.
Last edited by Sepoy on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eastway Emitter R3

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:14 pm

Which is what happens when it locks against the next trim position and the cable is too tight to allow the release ratchet to operate. Something that can't happen if you use the upper two positions instead of the lower two. :roll:

$600 is almost enough to buy a complete group set from the U.K., and you can buy Ultegra shifters for ~$450 from PBK, or ~$361 for 105 from bike24. In Aus you can buy just the blade assembly for the left shifter or pick up a second hand left hand shifter.

And next time - RTFM.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Sepoy

Postby Sepoy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:18 pm

twizzle wrote:Which is what happens when it locks against the next trim position and the cable is too tight to allow the release ratchet to operate. Something that can't happen if you use the upper two positions instead of the lower two. :roll:

$600 is almost enough to buy a complete group set from the U.K., and you can buy Ultegra shifters for ~$450 from PBK, or ~$361 for 105 from bike24. In Aus you can buy just the blade assembly for the left shifter or pick up a second hand left hand shifter.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Shimano-105-Left ... tsupported
Is this what I need?

Edit- I didn't have a manual, but next time I am never, ever, ever going to even touch the gears again.
Eastway Emitter R3

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:26 pm

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:39 pm

Sepoy wrote:
twizzle wrote:Which is what happens when it locks against the next trim position and the cable is too tight to allow the release ratchet to operate. Something that can't happen if you use the upper two positions instead of the lower two. :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Shimano-105-Left ... tsupported
Is this what I need?

Edit- I didn't have a manual, but next time I am never, ever, ever going to even touch the gears again.
Mate, I feel bad for you. Anyway, you can get a new double Ultegra shifter for less than that which won't have the problem: http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=13643

Basically, I stand by what I wrote before. When setting up for double chainrings on a 105 shifter (or a triple) you should use the lower two settings so that you don't have an undershift where the shift cable becomes completely untensioned. The solution to your original problem as before is not a matter of tightened or loosening the cable. If it shifts properly already from the small chainring --> trim position --> large chainring and you can upshift one step further, the problem is that the FD high limit screw needs to be brought back down a bit. The cable tension is already correct.

In terms of setting up the FD setting, this is what I do:
(1) Start with the FD shift cable completely untensioned (i.e., unattached).
(2) Put the chain on the biggest cog at the back and onto the small chainring.
(3) Adjust the low limit screw of the FD so that the inner blade of the FD just doesn't touch the chain when you rotate the cranks.
(4) Now, bolt the FD shift cable into place with the cable tensioned enough so that there is no slack (I find it easier to hold onto the cable with pliers rather than my fingers).
(5) If you got points 2-5 right, basically the FD is in the right position so that shifting from the small to large chainring should pretty much close to perfect.
(5a) If you can't trim the FD enough with the shifter so that there is no chain rub with the chain on the smallest cog on the back, it means that either the cable doesn't have enough tension or that the low limit screw is set a bit too close in (or both) --> go back to (1) ... or, slightly increase the tension on the cable if you've got a cable stop adjuster in your system.
(6) Once you've got the FD position correct, you want to adjust the high limit screw on the FD so that you can't push the FD any further out than necessary. Basically, the FD should go just far enough out so that the chain shifts easily without resistance from the FD but no further. This is particularly important with the 105 and other triple shifters in a double chainring setup because you COULD potentially push it further.

Don't force shift the shifters if something feels like it is stuck!!

Regards.
Michael Tam
Photos: Michael's bicycle obsession
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite

Sepoy

Postby Sepoy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:43 pm

Is it possible to buy a different but not too much more expensive shifter and put it on? I'd rather not have the worry of doing this again. If so, can you recommend any decent shifters?

Edit- posted this before I read the previous post. Would I be able to buy that $104 ultegra front shifter and put it on without changing anything else?
Eastway Emitter R3

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:51 pm

Sepoy wrote:Is it possible to buy a different but not too much more expensive shifter and put it on? I'd rather not have the worry of doing this again. If so, can you recommend any decent shifters?

Edit- posted this before I read the previous post. Would I be able to buy that $104 ultegra front shifter and put it on without changing anything else?
Yes. All Shimano 10 speed shifters are compatible with each other (except perhaps for the new Dura Ace 7900... not 100% sure about that). However, no problems using a mix of Dura Ace 7800, Ultegra 6600 or 105 5600 shifters/FD/RD.

Regards.
Michael Tam
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite

Sepoy

Postby Sepoy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:58 pm

vitualis wrote:
Sepoy wrote:Is it possible to buy a different but not too much more expensive shifter and put it on? I'd rather not have the worry of doing this again. If so, can you recommend any decent shifters?

Yes. All Shimano 10 speed shifters are compatible with each other (except perhaps for the new Dura Ace 7900... not 100% sure about that). However, no problems using a mix of Dura Ace 7800, Ultegra 6600 or 105 5600 shifters/FD/RD.

Regards.
Thanks! It's pretty incredible that you can buy a better quality shifter for a third of the price of a worse one locally.
Eastway Emitter R3

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:02 pm

Yeah, Australian retail prices suck. When I built my commuter bike up, I was able to get a pair of black 105 shifters for less than $200 at c r c. At the time, the Shimano distributor was out of 105 shifters, I think, so I would have had to buy Ultegra. The local retail price for Ultegra shifters cost more than the entire 105 groupset that I bought from the UK.

Edit: you will probably want to get the Ultegra shifter in any case because I think it is pretty much the same shape as the 105 shifter. It might feel a bit weird if the left and right shifters were slightly different in shape. The Dura Ace shifter and the non-series R700 shifter are slightly different in shape I believe.

Regards.
Michael Tam

Stackhat

Postby Stackhat » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:15 pm

For fark sake this has really pissed me right off!!

Just so everyone knows i was the one that sold this bike to you. This bike just so everyone knows was 100% perfectly fine and only had about 400km on it - professionally setup by Turramurra Cyclery and anyone in Sydney knows is one of the best bike shops. I myself only ever sell things that are perfectly fine. Normally i would never post anything in this nature though quite frankly i think this forum should know some truths.

After buying the bike on that night i get 3 calls, VM and txt done not at any reasonably hour though at 1.30am!! saying that there is a large oval crack in the chainstay. Say What? Here is the link to that thread if others want a read
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17586

Well turns out this crack was merely a clear oval sticker used to protect the chain from hitting the frame, even Ray Charles could have worked this out.

A week passed and i get another panic txt sent at 5am!! saying if i have some receipts incase something goes wrong. 5am!!

Now to top all of this off i receive a call from you tonight accusing Turramurra Cyclery of setting the bike up wrong and that the shifter is broken and could i sort it out maybe under warranty. Now i come on here and read that the only reason it is stuffed is because you were stuffing around with the bike and you broke it because you don't know what you are doing.

Typically i would never post anything like this though quite frankly this has turned into a joke.

Sepoy

Postby Sepoy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:36 pm

Stackhat wrote:For fark sake this has really pissed me right off!!

Just so everyone knows i was the one that sold this bike to you. This bike just so everyone knows was 100% perfectly fine and only had about 400km on it - professionally setup by Turramurra Cyclery and anyone in Sydney knows is one of the best bike shops. I myself only ever sell things that are perfectly fine. Normally i would never post anything in this nature though quite frankly i think this forum should know some truths.

After buying the bike on that night i get 3 calls, VM and txt done not at any reasonably hour though at 1.30am!! saying that there is a large oval crack in the chainstay. Say What? Here is the link to that thread if others want a read
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17586

Well turns out this crack was merely a clear oval sticker used to protect the chain from hitting the frame, even Ray Charles could have worked this out.

A week passed and i get another panic txt sent at 5am!! saying if i have some receipts incase something goes wrong. 5am!!

Now to top all of this off i receive a call from you tonight accusing Turramurra Cyclery of setting the bike up wrong and that the shifter is broken and could i sort it out maybe under warranty. Now i come on here and read that the only reason it is stuffed is because you were stuffing around with the bike and you broke it because you don't know what you are doing.

Typically i would never post anything like this though quite frankly this has turned into a joke.
Oh go away. I have repeatedly apologised for that error on my behalf (which you completely ignored every time).

It isn't only broke because I was stuffing around, I was stuffing around with it because it was incorrectly set up! I didn't want to explain this to you because you have repeatedly shown yourself to be a rude and unreasonable person in my private correspondence with you.

I have no interest in making a public argument with you.

Edited this post because I don't want to start a flame war.
Eastway Emitter R3

Stackhat

Postby Stackhat » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:48 pm

No as i explained to you i will deal with anyone at all that has manners and courtesy - you do not. This was evident by the phone calls i got due to the supposid "crack" starting at 1.30am. Say What was i to do at such an hour? let alone the fact your "crack" was a sticker.

then txt messages at 5am when i am trying to sleep etc. I told you that due to your lack of manners i would not be doing anything so i'd love for you to clarify how i have at all been rude?

If you had of left the bike as it was (100%) it would be fine, though you were mucking around on it which is evident by reading through your post and you do not have knowledge of what you are doing - also evident by the "crack" issue.

I would never normally make something like this public though i feel in this instance it is warranted.

Sepoy

Postby Sepoy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:55 pm

Stackhat wrote:No as i explained to you i will deal with anyone at all that has manners and courtesy - you do not. This was evident by the phone calls i got due to the supposid "crack" starting at 1.30am. Say What was i to do at such an hour? let alone the fact your "crack" was a sticker.

then txt messages at 5am when i am trying to sleep etc. I told you that due to your lack of manners i would not be doing anything so i'd love for you to clarify how i have at all been rude?

If you had of left the bike as it was (100%) it would be fine, though you were mucking around on it which is evident by reading through your post and you do not have knowledge of what you are doing - also evident by the "crack" issue.

I would never normally make something like this public though i feel in this instance it is warranted.
I'm not discussing or explaining again that first private issue between us on a public forum.
Oh, it was fine except it could shift up to a third gear (which is exactly what causes it to strip)?
Eastway Emitter R3

2WheelsGood

Postby 2WheelsGood » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:40 pm

This is some funny sh*t being posted - I do like the "sticker crack" :) Clearly someone is infatuated with his new bike!

Stackhat, I presume you are pissed about being called at 1.30am and 5am cos you were riding your bike and had to stop to read the SMS.

Thanks for sharing! :D
2004 Giant OCR Touring
2009 Fuji Roubaix Pro
2009 Merida Crossway Sport TFS 300V

Sepoy

Postby Sepoy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:44 pm

2WheelsGood wrote:This is some funny sh*t being posted - I do like the "sticker crack" :) Clearly someone is infatuated with his new bike!

Stackhat, I presume you are pissed about being called at 1.30am and 5am cos you were riding your bike and had to stop to read the SMS.

Thanks for sharing! :D

:oops: The utter terror I felt when I first saw the 'crack', and the waves of shame when it was revealed to be a sticker, they're all flooding back. :lol:
Eastway Emitter R3

provoked

Postby provoked » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:59 pm

Easy fellow riders!

Gears and cracks! Way to get anyone pissed off!
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:25 am

G'day

[Mod hat on]I think, no I know, we need to cool down and focus on assisting in the fix of the problem. Is that okay? Any more bagging and the thread gets locked. This applies to all as well.[/mod hat off]

Andrew

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:47 am

Aushiker wrote:G'day

[Mod hat on][/mod hat off]
You guys need an emoticon for that :lol:

Interesting to note how much this problem occurs. I though it slightly unusual when it happened to me twice when I first picked up my bike. LBS fixed it up, no probs since. Spoke to a colleague today who has just bought a bike running ultegra - he had the same problem except the shifter lunched itself. :x
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:43 am

I personally didnt read anything untoward in any of stackhats posts, I say thank you as we now have more of an idea with what is going on.
Sepoy I think it would be an excelent idea for you to look into doing a bicycle maintenance coarse. there is only so much you can learn from a forum

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:08 am

Alexander Pope. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:41 am

Stackhat, loved that comment abt Ray Charles, and I share your frustration.

Sepoy unfortunately you just to mark this one down to a learning experience. On the bright side, you can now get Ultegra stuff on your bike!

I have found this thread quite educational, as I now have a bike with 105 shifters.

I have set up a few bikes with Campagnolo shifters (which are capable of triple) as well as double. Of course my Chorus shifters are micro-ratcheted, and does not come close to placing that much stress when "overshifting". However, I would have thot, that the limit stop would stop any "overshift" from happening, or make it extremely difficult to even get there.

I did set up a bike with Veloce QS shifters, which are not micro-ratcheted, and more like the 105 shifters. I had the "middle-shift" doing the large chainring setup , and did not remember it even possible to get another click out of it when in my large chainring.