The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby human909 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:22 am

wexford wrote:Eastbound on the PSP approaching Windan Bridge (Perth) came along a bloke riding two bikes with one hand between them. His left hand was holding a phone to his head, and his right hand was somehow steering TWO bikes, the one he was riding and another alongside.

I wish I had skills like that - I'm bad enough using two hands! The only reason I label him as a Dumb Cyclist is that he was doing all of this without a helmet.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I wish I had skills like that. I consider myself pretty good and have done the two bike thing on half a dozen occasions. However to be on the phone at the same time! Wow! Meh, to riding without a helmet but a quite reckless to be doing all that on a PSP with other people around. When I've ridden with two bikes it is on full lanes on the back streets with little traffic.
human909

by BNA » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:32 am

BNA

Postby lobstermash » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:32 am

Crazy cyclist on my commute this morning. During peak hour, at every on-ramp, with cars trying to merge with 80km/h traffic, the hand came out and they forced drivers to slow/stop. Fair enough when there's no end to the stream of cars on the on-ramp and they're barely moving, but I was about 10-15m behind and barely had to slow to find a safe gap to cross.
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby WarbyD » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:37 am

Not so much dumb as inconsiderate (potentially?) was myself yesterday.. Riding southbound on the Kwinana freeway PSP, had a cyclist in blue/white kit say .. something .. as he passed me. Clearly directed at me, and clearly not happy about something.. But kind of pointless when I'm completely unable to catch any of what's being said since we're both in motion. I had a bit of a look/think to see what his problem may have been, and all I could come up with was that it appeared I had knocked my SSX2 light up a little higher than usual at some stage, so perhaps he was complaining about that?

It was still daylight and the light was on low, so certainly not going to cause any major issues, but hey - If that was you, and that was the problem - Sorry about that! If that wasn't the problem then... *shrugs*

On another note.. If trying to complain at a cyclist travelling in the opposite direction to yourself, I would strongly suggest you keep your complaint very succinct... Or stop before you reach the person you intend on complaining to and ask that they do the same, so you can actually pass on the full message?
WarbyD

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:37 am

The moron on the mountain bike wearing the red t'shirt - straight through a red light on Ann Street crossing Kemp Place Brisbane at 6:48 AM this morning. The moron then wonders why a car turning left into Ann Street off Kemp Place nearly cleans him up.....
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby li2099 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:51 am

Gordonhooker wrote:The moron on the mountain bike wearing the red t'shirt - straight through a red light on Ann Street crossing Kemp Place Brisbane at 6:48 AM this morning. The moron then wonders why a car turning left into Ann Street off Kemp Place nearly cleans him up.....

geez we have those types in my riding group.
They run a red then stops on the other side of the traffic, turns around and wonders why the rest of the group is still waiting for the lights.
li2099

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:23 am

Gordonhooker wrote:The moron on the mountain bike wearing the red t'shirt - straight through a red light on Ann Street crossing Kemp Place Brisbane at 6:48 AM this morning. The moron then wonders why a car turning left into Ann Street off Kemp Place nearly cleans him up.....

Wow, I thought I saw a topic here yesterday from a MTB rider accusing road-bike riders of this. Never knew MTB riders did it too. ;) If I used my camera I'd get lots of videos of people running red lights.
g-boaf

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:09 pm

g-boaf wrote:

Wow, I thought I saw a topic here yesterday from a MTB rider accusing road-bike riders of this. Never knew MTB riders did it too. ;) If I used my camera I'd get lots of videos of people running red lights.

It was probably the clown the ran the red light this morning :)
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby uglybob » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:50 pm

wexford wrote:I encountered a classic on the commute home from work yesterday.

Eastbound on the PSP approaching Windan Bridge (Perth) came along a bloke riding two bikes with one hand between them. His left hand was holding a phone to his head, and his right hand was somehow steering TWO bikes, the one he was riding and another alongside.

I wish I had skills like that - I'm bad enough using two hands! The only reason I label him as a Dumb Cyclist is that he was doing all of this without a helmet.

did he have a moustache / big piercings in his ears?
uglybob

Postby rangersac » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:18 am

Me yesterday afternoon approaching a multi lane roundabout on a bike lane to the left of the traffic lane. On this particular roundabout I exit to the right, meaning I have to either cross the traffic lane to do so, or stay in the bike lane on the outer rim of the roundabout, giving way to cars exiting and entering on the road before my turn. As a result when I can I try to enter the roundabout with momentum to make merging/ turning right with the traffic easier. I can see two cars entering the roundabout to my right take off slowly, giving me the idea I can make the gap in front of them and avoid any conflict with traffic headed in my direction. Nice idea in theory, however when the car in the inner lane decides to channel their inner Ayrton Senna, I'm quickly abandoning that idea and hitting the anchors in a hurry. No front wheel stand, although I did lock the rear. Things might've been a bit more interesting if the road was wet!
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Gemini Steelie
rangersac

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:22 pm

"And there's Senna. Senna spinning. Spin spin spin. Round round round he goes" - Murray Walker, Adelaide Grand Prix 1989. Dat 900 degree spin into the final corner at the Adelaide GP. Damnnnn that was 24 year ago now :(
Lukeyboy

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:"And there's Senna. Senna spinning. Spin spin spin. Round round round he goes" - Murray Walker, Adelaide Grand Prix 1989. Dat 900 degree spin into the final corner at the Adelaide GP. Damnnnn that was 24 year ago now :(

were you even born?
jasonc

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:51 pm

Not yet. A few months before my time :P
Lukeyboy

Postby nitestick » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:11 am

I nominate the senior citizen walking his dog on the right hand side of a path in an underpass where the path turns on either side; thus making visibility non existent from the outside. He was heading the same direction as me so after I passed him I went back and told him "you should be careful walking on the right hand side, people will come blindly around the corner and might clean you up". He responded "yeah, they do".
nitestick

Postby human909 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:17 am

Me, yesterday. I cut in front of a motorist in such a way to give them a fright and make them emergency brake. Mind you they only emergency braked AFTER I was already off the road. I judged the turn correctly, I performed the turn correctly however I was hardly being a good road citizen by doing so as I did give the motorists a fright.
human909

Postby Summernight » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:39 am

To the two pedestrians in dark clothing in the dark and pouring rain last night who decided to run out off the footpath and onto the bike lane (presumably to get to their car which was on the right of the bike lane) in Albert St, East Melbourne, please please look next time before you go all kamikaze. You're lucky I was predicting what you were about to do and could call out and try and avoid you.
Summernight

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:37 am

I met a prize idiot iPed today - thinks that 99% of people on the shared path have it wrong and that the rule is not keep left but keep right :roll: I complied with all of my obligations - I kept left, slowed down and stopped to avoid a collision. I also gave the benefit of my opinion of him and some advice for the future, neither of which appeared to resonate with him
find_bruce

Postby blkmcs » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:47 am

find_bruce wrote:I met a prize idiot iPed today - thinks that 99% of people on the shared path have it wrong and that the rule is not keep left but keep right :roll: I complied with all of my obligations - I kept left, slowed down and stopped to avoid a collision. I also gave the benefit of my opinion of him and some advice for the future, neither of which appeared to resonate with him

Why could you not just pull out to your right and go past the pedestrian?

Had this pedestrian stopped walking towards you, turned around on the same side of the path and started walking in the opposite direction I suspect that you would have happily pulled out to go past him. You think that the pedestrian is a prize idiot, what do you imagine the pedestrian thinks about a cyclist who cannot work out how to get past someone facing towards him on the path as opposed to someone facing away from him on the path?
Too old to live, too slow to die.
blkmcs

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:05 am

blkmcs wrote:Why could you not just pull out to your right and go past the pedestrian?

I would have and have in the past, done the same as Bruce.
1. They are walking against the traffic/flow. If they are able to do that, who says they won't veer into your path as you go around them

common sense:

jasonc

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:15 am

Some meanderthal walking the wrong way, meh whatever, as you say ride past on whatever bit of path is safe to do so. Someone telling me that I am required to ride on the right - not just to pass him but at all times, prize idiot.
find_bruce

Postby human909 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:50 pm

find_bruce wrote:Some meanderthal walking the wrong way, meh whatever, as you say ride past on whatever bit of path is safe to do so. Someone telling me that I am required to ride on the right - not just to pass him but at all times, prize idiot.

So that makes two of you then. If I was you I would stop and ponder blkmcs' comments.

Had this pedestrian stopped walking towards you, turned around on the same side of the path and started walking in the opposite direction I suspect that you would have happily pulled out to go past him. You think that the pedestrian is a prize idiot, what do you imagine the pedestrian thinks about a cyclist who cannot work out how to get past someone facing towards him on the path as opposed to someone facing away from him on the path?

Your behavior was poor, and not something that you would expect from a good citizen. Try to learn and improve for next time. :idea:
human909

Postby outnabike » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:07 pm

I get this a lot too. I give a toot on the bugle to make them aware of me coming at them.
Some jump onto the left of the lane, some just stay where they are. I don't mind going around a person as long as I am not sneaking up on them.
Things get a bit harder with the two abreast walkers, and some take bit of time to work out what to do. :D
outnabike

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:59 pm

human909 wrote:Your behavior was poor, and not something that you would expect from a good citizen. Try to learn and improve for next time. :idea:

What a load of twaddle - I stopped well clear of the pedestrian. He was perfectly capable of walking past me & did so. My rear camera shows him crossing over to walk on the left hand side of the path.
find_bruce

Postby g-boaf » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:20 pm

If I'm not sure what they are going to do, I'll stop and wait. Make it clear I'm there and want to go past. Some pedestrians don't like this, but it is better than having a meanderthal walk into me at last minute and cause me to crash.
g-boaf

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:09 am

If this cyclist was a car or truck, this pedestrian would be dead.

InTheWoods

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:16 am

InTheWoods wrote:If this cyclist was a car or truck, this pedestrian would be dead.

have always wondering if it'd be frown upon to throw up the elbow in these situations...
jasonc

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion