The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

human909

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby human909 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:11 am

mikesbytes wrote:An incident where the rider appears to not of been hurt has apparently sparked a huge debate

http://www.news.com.au/technology/onlin ... 85f0860d96
Huge 'debates' happen on that facebook page all the time. Mostly about collisions and other stupid stuff only involving motorised transport.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:38 am

mikesbytes wrote:An incident where the rider appears to not of been hurt has apparently sparked a huge debate

Some years ago a bus driver killed a pedestrian under similar circumstances (can't remember if it was in nsw). He faced criminal charges and scored jail time iirc.
Go!Run!GAH!

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:49 am

The dumb cyclists today (and a few days ago) were the group of about 6 who ride at roughly 40km/h along the Koonung Creek Trail through Donvale, where the path generally has poor sight lines. They refused to slow down for anyone, and clearly don't grasp the concept of "riding to suit the conditions".

It's a shared path, so how about behaving accordingly?

BrianDamage

Postby BrianDamage » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:04 am

I'm riding in the bicycle lane when I see this guy crossing the road ahead. He lets the car go past, but then steps out right on front of me, using the old, "if I don't look, he won't hit me" tactic.

I just shrugged, braked and steered around him, like I normally would. However, couldn't resist pointing out that "you stop for a car, but not for a bike", to which he replies "f**k you, mate". Naturally I then had to pull over then to continue the conversation. He says that he saw me coming (but still chose to cross in front of me, doing about 35km/h).

Can't quite hear what he says as he skulks back to his mum's basement, but it's something like "you're lucky I don't hit you, alright". I guess so :lol:

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:21 am

BrianDamage wrote:I'm riding in the bicycle lane when I see this guy crossing the road ahead. He lets the car go past, but then steps out right on front of me, using the old, "if I don't look, he won't hit me" tactic.
It looked to me as though he simply assumed you were going slower than you actually were. This is all too common where I ride. Pedestrians (and motorists too) expect cyclists to be traveling just above walking pace, and are surprised when the gap between them and me closes a lot faster than they thought it would.

BTW - his tactic (if it was a tactic) worked!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:26 am

BrianDamage wrote:I'm riding in the bicycle lane when I see this guy crossing the road ahead. He lets the car go past, but then steps out right on front of me, using the old, "if I don't look, he won't hit me" tactic.

I just shrugged, braked and steered around him, like I normally would. However, couldn't resist pointing out that "you stop for a car, but not for a bike", to which he replies "f**k you, mate". Naturally I then had to pull over then to continue the conversation. He says that he saw me coming (but still chose to cross in front of me, doing about 35km/h).

Can't quite hear what he says as he skulks back to his mum's basement, but it's something like "you're lucky I don't hit you, alright". I guess so :lol:
The tip that I've picked up to deal with pedestrians who don't see me is to call out in a clear voice "heads up!". It sounds like a non-inflammatory way of alerting them to the fact that you've seen them and that they haven't seen you - however, they know that you are really accusing them of walking dangerously.

It works even if they have seen you and are pretending that they haven't.

It works best when there are other pedestrians who look around and see what's going on and wonder how their fellow pedestrian did not see a bicycle.

BrianDamage

Postby BrianDamage » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:20 pm

I'd normally use my bell to get a walker's attention, but given that he was looking right at me, I assumed I already had it. I agree my speed probably caught him by surprise and he thought he had enough time to cross a single lane.

I like the idea of calling "head's up" - it does sound a bit friendlier than "bike!", which to some probably sounds like "self-entitled lycra w*nker!" :lol:

Of course, then you get the risk of how they react once they realise you're coming through; freeze, continue or step back straight into your path anyway. Another reason I commute on my CX bike with its very decent disc brakes.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:11 pm

BrianDamage wrote:.. the risk of how they react once they realise you're coming through; freeze, continue or step back straight into your path anyway.
I find the same, it's often just better to get on with riding around them, perhaps with a mild shake of the head and a 'tsk, tsk'. Then get on with enjoying the rest of your day.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:40 pm

...i call them accidental pedestrians...some unfortunate situation has forced the driver out of their car and they walk the same as they drive...with a FU i go first attitude...opening the car door and getting out and then walking up the cycle lane towards you looking for a gap in the passing stream of traffic as you grind to a halt is the one that really gets me

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:13 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:

Some years ago a bus driver killed a pedestrian under similar circumstances (can't remember if it was in nsw). He faced criminal charges and scored jail time iirc.
Probably a bit old school but:
"Here lies the body of Julian Grey,
Who died defending his right-of-way.
He was right, dead right,
as he droned along,
But he's just as dead as if he was wrong."

The point being not to rely on right of way because people do dumb stuff so look and act appropriately to what is actually happening.

Ken

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:06 pm

This is quite funny but sad at the same time - phone distracted peds (and one motorist)

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/942499940693094401

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:50 am

Christmas newbies are out in force this morning causing more than the usual chaos

Remember the first commandment, newbies! Though shalt not filter to the front at traffic lights. No. No. NO!

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:10 am

duncan16v wrote:
Remember the first commandment, newbies! Though shalt not filter to the front at traffic lights. No. No. NO!
This is not set in concrete. It is OK to filter to the front provided you can get away from the lights without holding up the people you have just passed. There might be an extra lane or a bike lane starting the other side of the lights, or you might be turning left or right while everyone else is going straight ahead.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:15 am

duncan16v wrote:Christmas newbies are out in force this morning causing more than the usual chaos

Sometimes it's perfectly justified. I've approached traffic lights where cyclists ahead of me have left large gaps, instead of queuing behind each other, or filling up the bike box width. If there's a bike-sized gap available for me to use, I have no problem using it, and I'm doing nothing wrong by using it.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:37 am

... and all good it you're fast - I don't have a problem with that either. Most of those that disobey the First Commandment are not fast. Most of those that disobey the First Commandment have been overtaken like they're standing still a few moments before.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
duncan16v wrote:Christmas newbies are out in force this morning causing more than the usual chaos

Sometimes it's perfectly justified. I've approached traffic lights where cyclists ahead of me have left large gaps, instead of queuing behind each other, or filling up the bike box width. If there's a bike-sized gap available for me to use, I have no problem using it, and I'm doing nothing wrong by using it.
I believe that the road rules state somewhere that if there is a bike box, you are supposed to filter up and use it. I may, however, be talking out of my proverbial, as I cannot find this in the rules at a quick read.

I will filter as and when it is appropriate in order to put myself in the safest position and not impede the normal flow of traffic, including:
Filtering to the front to pass slower riders early, rather than riding between cars in the main lane.
Filtering when I know I will be turning right soon, and I am generally faster off the mark at lights than most drivers.
Filtering when there is heavy congestion and I am able to do so.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:59 am

Show me where that is writ in the traffic code? :wink:

cage

Postby cage » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:46 pm

Sounds like some have a case of the ol' MGIF syndrome.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:21 pm

Me. Commuting a couple of days ago on the sharepath. Got a phone message, so naughtily got the phone out and proceeded to sit up, no hands and reading the message. Failed to see an oncoming rider who took to the grass beside the path. There was no danger of hitting, but I didn’t see him until a bit late and I assume he thought I wasn’t going to look up. Sorry mate, poor form by me.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:52 pm

kenwstr wrote:

Show me where that is writ in the traffic code? :wink:
It is writ large in Letters Of Fire in the duncan16v Young Person's Guide to Cycling Righteousness.

Available at all good bookstores.

Or not. I might have made that up.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:36 pm

I find there's a critical queue length at which filtering is required: (queue clearance time) > (light cycle time)

One must also filter when the far side of the intersection is blocked, so the only traffic getting through is 2-wheeled :)

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:01 pm

Wait... did he mean filter past cars or other bikes? Cause I'm sure as hell filtering past all the cars!

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:42 pm

Absolutely!

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:34 pm

Yesterday on shared path approaching the low level bridge Bathurst, I encountered 3 youths milling around aimlessly & obliviously blocking the path. I was approaching downhill so on the brakes and couldn't reach the bell so I call out "look up". Well, they clear the path but one asks " what did you say", me "I said look up". For this I get a "F... off". I fail to see how alerting people to an approaching hazard that could result in their painful injury is in any way offensive deserving of being sworn at..... :roll:

Ken

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:02 pm

kenwstr wrote:Yesterday on shared path approaching the low level bridge Bathurst, I encountered 3 youths milling around aimlessly & obliviously blocking the path. I was approaching downhill so on the brakes and couldn't reach the bell so I call out "look up". Well, they clear the path but one asks " what did you say", me "I said look up". For this I get a "F... off". I fail to see how alerting people to an approaching hazard that could result in their painful injury is in any way offensive deserving of being sworn at..... :roll:

Ken
Mate i think even a 'happy new year' would of got you the same response :wink:

Being silly season I've kept of the road and on the PSPs, and WOW some real morons on bikes. Rider i had passed 5 min earlier pulled up behind me at a rail crossing, and asked where the train was. I could see train light down the line so said not far. Too far for mister impaintent, so he starts to ride around boom gates. I shout out what i think of his actions which halts him as the train comes through about 5sec later. His reply is to point at the waiting fast response ambulance (subaru forester) waiting first car in line with flashing lights on, and tell me at least he would get treated quickly if hit :shock:. The way he had no hesitation of wanting to ride through tells me its common practice for him :roll:.

Same ride and red ped crossing in CBD (Perth) it was Sunday morning so little traffic but 5-6riders where waiting on the other side, so do the right thing, but granny and grandad behind me in all the kit get frustrated and barge throught just as light turns green, so i.e. 6 bikes crossing towards us and us now 3 abreast :roll: I slow for peds on other side crossing from our left and the old girl nearly cleans them both up while grandad nearly cleans me up. Let peds go and get going again now having to tell grandad to get out of the right hand lane so i can pass. They did manage a sorry.

All that chaos because some can't be stuffed waiting for a few seconds.