The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Percrime » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:36 am

fatdudeonabike wrote:See my earlier response - if you don't want to ride near dogs, then don't.
Sometimes this is unavoidable, but in an unleashed dog park, its safe to assume that there'll be dogs here.

Yep one of them between here and the city. On the only bike path. Maybe we need to get rid of unleashed dog parks. .

Actually the actions and fears of a reasonable person in the same situation are entirely the test of self defence. And a reasonable person would be afraid of a dog that had bitten them. Many.. many cops in the same situation have shot the dog dead and not one has been charged. About the owners... I dont care.. if he wanted the animal alive keeping it under control is his responsibility.. not as in fat dude world mine. Just last week was a story locally.. fido chewed on a cat, owner charged.. fido on death row.

But there is no point in continuing. I am conducting this conversation from the viewpoint.. i believe of a reasonable person who has been bitten... while trying to run away.. so leaving is not an option and all the evidence is his is about to get chewed up, you are conducting this conversation from the viewpoint of Fido,s owner.. "He would never hurt a fly, see.. he is perfectly safe, its just a little bite, harden up sunshine" Meh. We have no common ground. See I dont care what you know about Fido. I care about what I know. And from the evidence its that Fido is a net loss to the community. Admittedly so is his owner... but Fido is the immediate threat.

But good luck with that pressing charges thing.. its not even that you dont have Buckley's... its that the other person is likely to get annoyed and press them right back. And wind up owning your house. Thats reality mate. You actually dont have the right to discharge a dangerous weapon to the public danger. Regardless of if its an AR15 or Fido. Your only defences are that you did your best to have the animal under control (that reasonable person would have thought your actions reasonable test keeps jumping up doesn't it?) or that you had no knowledge the dog was potentially dangerous. (and Mr Reasonable Person looking at the video is the bloke who gets to decide.. Heh. Chances of a snoflake cat chased by an asbestos dog in Hell. Saying its hyperbole is crap If she sued for .. THere is a real risk here at least from the point of view of the guy being chased.

I,m done here.
Percrime

by BNA » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:21 am

BNA

Postby CatCanRide » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:21 am

Children are 10,000 times more important than dogs. So we need to take 10,000 more care when riding around children.
Dogs are dogs and should be under effective control by their owners or on a leash.

Personally I think that with just a little bit of discipline those dogs would probably be lovely dogs but they are unlikely to receive that discipline with that owner.
CatCanRide

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:38 am

CatCanRide wrote:Children are 10,000 times more important than dogs. So we need to take 10,000 more care when riding around children.
Dogs are dogs and should be under effective control by their owners or on a leash.

Personally I think that with just a little bit of discipline those dogs would probably be lovely dogs but they are unlikely to receive that discipline with that owner.

I don't believe you can arbitrarily quantify importance like that. To many dog owners their dog may be as important to them as a child is to another. I don't seek to understate the importance of a child here, I'm just trying to emphasise how much some people love their dogs. Speaking as a parent and a dog lover by the way.
Guardians of children and animals have the responsibility to protect those in their care from harm and to prevent them from causing harm.
Advocating the killing of a dog for the abject failure of its owner, as has been mentioned here, is disgusting IMO.
warthog1

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:58 am

CatCanRide wrote:Dogs are dogs and should be under effective control by their owners or on a leash.

Agree with all of this, if you can't control your dog without a leash, keep it on the leash. Most dogs I've come across pretty much reflect the owner, good owner-good dog, bad owner-dangerous dog. Even the "media madness" breeds are friendly enough if they aren't raised as a substitute for their owners (typically male) inadequacies.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:07 am

find_bruce wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:I was a dumb cyclist yesterday, early jump through a red on the corner of Spencer and LaTrobe. Sheer stoopid inattention saved by the good fortune of it being on the all red phase. :oops:

Anyone in particular you were racing, or just "the clock" ? :)

The clock I s'pose :oops: I was doing Beach Rd-Fixed gear when I got a call from the GLW that me mother in law had been taken to Royal Melbourne. Jumped a train back to the city and was on me way up there without due care and attention. No excuses, just an explanation. If Plod had've pinged me I woulda been happy to wear it.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby herzog » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:53 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Agree with all of this, if you can't control your dog without a leash, keep it on the leash. Most dogs I've come across pretty much reflect the owner, good owner-good dog, bad owner-dangerous dog.

Yeah this is a fair point. I bet most people don't have too many problems with a teenager walking the family labrador for example.

It's the idiots that gravitate towards the fighting breeds, and then fail to discipline them, that are big concern.

Case in point is the owners in the video clip we've been discussing.
herzog

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:00 pm

:lol:

2012 Oppy A4 | 200x Hard tail Kona Blast Deluxe
KonaCommuter

Postby fatdudeonabike » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:27 pm

I love the freezeframe at the end of that - the poor bird momentarily knocked senseless :D (I'm glad you told us that it was fine, it wouldnt have been so funny otherwise - I'm the type that will stop the car in traffic to let a bird get off the road).

A final word on the dog issue - the eventual resolution seems to have been what I was saying all along. Dont tar all dog owners, or all dogs with the same brush. Yes, some dog owners shouldnt have dogs, and they deserve your criticism. But don't say that all dogs and owners should be treated the same.

I gotta get a camera on my bike, I see some really funny things. Just this evening I was on a quick little ride - a guy speeds past me on a very nice road bike, he would've only been 18 or 19 I reckon. He gets about 50 metres in front of me, and coming the other way is a rather attractive female pedestrian.

Bloke rides past her, spins his head around to check the view from behind her... and runs straight off the path, onto the nature strip, and into a tree.

The girl didn't stop, but I did. He actually hit it at a pretty reasonable speed.

Anyway, he seemed fine. I asked him whether he was ok.

He said "did you see why I crashed?"

I said "yep" and chuckled a little bit.

He said "well, I'd better be alright, cos I never would've lived that down"

:D

It's one of the joys of riding a bike that I never imagined - you see some really funny stuff that you just dont see in a car.
fatdudeonabike

Postby Livetoride » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:14 am

KonaCommuter wrote::lol:

Glad the bird was ok, bloody clear image too, what camera do you have ..?
Happy Days
Livetoride

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:13 am

KonaCommuter wrote::lol:

Those things have a war going against me, so I'm not going to shed any tears for this unlucky thing. :P That said, when their young get knocked from the nest and on the ground, I'm the type who'll look after them to make sure cats and other predators can't get the poor defenseless little things.
g-boaf

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Livetoride wrote:Glad the bird was ok, bloody clear image too, what camera do you have ..?

It's not my video but the text says that he's using a GoPro but I don't know which one
2012 Oppy A4 | 200x Hard tail Kona Blast Deluxe
KonaCommuter

Postby wellington_street » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Saw this one on youtube when viewing another posted here:

What a moron. Glad there's no peds around at that time.
wellington_street

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:47 pm

wellington_street wrote:Saw this one on youtube when viewing another posted here:

no CCR points for him
jasonc

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:17 pm

wellington_street wrote:Saw this one on youtube when viewing another posted here:

Ha, thanks for spotting it. Saved me posting it, it's one of mine from my commute yesterday. Me behind the helmet and cam, and my mate Darren that's the roadie in front of me (in single file unlike Mr MTB).

Sent from my iSomethingorother using Tapatalk HD
Avanti Quantum, Salsa Casseroll, Specialized Tricross
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby fatdudeonabike » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Boognoss wrote:

Ha, thanks for spotting it. Saved me posting it, it's one of mine from my commute yesterday. Me behind the helmet and cam, and my mate Darren that's the roadie in front of me (in single file unlike Mr MTB).

Dont you understand! He's hardcore and he's faster than you!
fatdudeonabike

Postby London Boy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Moron? Knob. I assume he was trying to make a point, overtaking a brace of roadies. Sorry, but my instinct is to go past them - I don't want to get stuck behind them when they start wobbling.
London Boy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:01 pm

Dat cadence.
Lukeyboy

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:01 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:
Boognoss wrote:

Dont you understand! He's hardcore and he's faster than you!

I hang my head in shame. At least I was on a cyclocross bike and not totally smashed while on a roadie. Slightly better. But still I'm far too soft ;-).

Avanti Quantum, Salsa Casseroll, Specialized Tricross
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:09 pm

:lol: :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby malnar » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:29 am

Update on my dog bite & chase incident. The council have the footage & they have located the owner. They have had an initial discussion with him. A further meeting is to take place shortly. In the interim he has agreed to keep the dogs on leash at all times. I saw him yesterday with the dogs and they were on leash in the off leash area which of course I am pleased with.
malnar

Postby jasonc » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:42 am

malnar wrote:I saw him yesterday with the dogs

did you wave? I would have. or maybe blow him a kiss
jasonc

Postby skull » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:41 am

I have to include a cyclist I have been seeing on my way into work.

Not really to criticise but hopefully they post here and will read this and improve their safety.

OK in ACT a couple of mornings for the last few weeks I have noticed a bloke riding a recumbent down Benjamin Way in Belconnen.

It has a funny fairing bit behind the rider but the front half looks like a standard recumbent.

So as we know recumbents sit low. Lower than where a window starts on a car door. This is why recumbent riders usually have flags sticking up on the rear of the bike. This increases the riders visibility.

The rider I have been seeing has no flag, you are actually quite invisible going down that road. On Thursday I could see the driver in the car starting to freak out a little when they went past you in the other lane then you disappeared from her vision as you were along side but below the viewing area of the window.

So from all of this I suggest you get a flag before you become dead.
skull

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:29 am

malnar wrote:Update on my dog bite & chase incident. The council have the footage & they have located the owner. They have had an initial discussion with him. A further meeting is to take place shortly. In the interim he has agreed to keep the dogs on leash at all times. I saw him yesterday with the dogs and they were on leash in the off leash area which of course I am pleased with.

Good result - as a sometimes pedestrian I wouldn't want to be near those dogs. Hope that prevents any further incidents.
g-boaf

Postby merlin6014 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:08 pm

? I dont get it.
merlin6014

Postby twizzle » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Lost it with a ped today. He told me off for not ringing my bell before passing him. I unpolitely launched and told him that if he took his #%^**£ earphones out he would have £%#}[*^ heard me call "passing". I had a bad week at work, he picked the wrong time to set me off. But seriously, 90+% of them wouldn't hear a 747 up their bottoms these days due to earphones/headphones/smartphone usage, and to blame others for their own lack of awareness just does my head in. No, I don't have a bell, and when I used to have one it didn't work either. Airzound is now officially on the shopping list, I don't care if they crap themselves.

Where's the alcohol? I'm going to sulk quietly in a corner.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion