The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Baalzamon

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:14 pm

Driving down kwinana Fwy doing 109kph and what do I see. 2 cyclists in the emergency lane headed south! Between paganoni rd & karnup. Called the police for their safety
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:26 pm

Thats perfectly legal in other states, and a bit further down where it becomes Forrest Hwy

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:47 pm

wellington_street wrote:Thats perfectly legal in other states, and a bit further down where it becomes Forrest Hwy
Yep I know, but ermergency lane on kwinana fwy is width of a car and there are trucks/buses doing 100kph and cars/utes doing 110kph. Forrest Hwy is twice the width for the riding lane so much safer.
And there is a perfectly good bike path 30m to the west of where they where.
I was more concerned for their safety then them riding in the emergency lane which is illegal here unless signed.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:14 pm

Credit where credit's due - I had the best comeback from someone on a shared path with a dog off lead last night.

I passed the dog first, then her and called out "That dog should be on a leash!"

Her reply? "So should you!"

Unfortunately she was the third person walking a dog unleashed on the path that night - which is not so conducive to a safe commute.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:18 pm

nezumi wrote:Credit where credit's due - I had the best comeback from someone on a shared path with a dog off lead last night.

I passed the dog first, then her and called out "That dog should be on a leash!"

Unfortunately she was the third person walking a dog unleashed on the path that night - which is not so conducive to a safe commute.
i would have turned around, bared my teeth and starting snarling at her :)

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:28 pm

I've had to give up one of my favourite routes because of the dog walkers. Just too hairy. I nearly cleaned a doberman up a few weeks ago. It came darting out from some bushes at the edge of the road and ran across the road in front of me. Owner care-factor: 0.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:54 pm

jules21 wrote:
nezumi wrote:Credit where credit's due - I had the best comeback from someone on a shared path with a dog off lead last night.

My after-the-moment thought was that I should have called out a warning of a loose bitch (referring, of course, to the unleashed dog...)
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:18 pm

jules21 wrote:

Loads of practice needed to be this proficient? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:02 am

Baalzamon wrote:Driving down kwinana Fwy doing 109kph and what do I see. 2 cyclists in the emergency lane headed south! Between paganoni rd & karnup. Called the police for their safety
:shock: :shock:

With friends like this who needs enemies. By the sound of it what they were doing was illegal. Highly dangerous? Well considering that cyclist IS allowed on many freeways that argument can quickly be put to rest. If I called the police every time I saw a pedestrian, cyclists or car doing something illegal or slightly dangerous to themselves then I would never be off the phone.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:00 pm

human909 wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Driving down kwinana Fwy doing 109kph and what do I see. 2 cyclists in the emergency lane headed south! Between paganoni rd & karnup. Called the police for their safety
:shock: :shock:

With friends like this who needs enemies. By the sound of it what they were doing was illegal. Highly dangerous? Well considering that cyclist IS allowed on many freeways that argument can quickly be put to rest. If I called the police every time I saw a pedestrian, cyclists or car doing something illegal or slightly dangerous to themselves then I would never be off the phone.
+1

I commute 5 days a week on motorway shoulders in Sydney which here in NSW is "infrastructure". Safer IME than most other roads.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:26 pm

yep, agree +1 also

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:41 pm

The only thing that would make it riskier in WA is that drivers definitely arent expecting to see cyclists either on the shoulder (small risk) or at the ramp crossings (bigger risk), whereas in Sydney drivers should be expecting cyclists as its relatively normal.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:32 pm

Can't compare the M7 to the kwinana fwy. it's like apples and oranges. Kwinana fwy has got an exceptional bike path that runs alongside it going from Perth all the way to South Yunderup rd where it then will move you safely onto the shoulder of the Forrest Hwy.

Also now here in WA they are considering using the existing emergency lane as a permanent lane. Compound that fact that the day before I saw those dumb cyclists a bus had gone thru the median strip there. I would have hated to get home to find "2 cyclists killed on Kwinana fwy report" knowing I could have done something to prevent it. And just who else could I call in that situation.....

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:44 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Can't compare the M7 to the kwinana fwy. it's like apples and oranges. Kwinana fwy has got an exceptional bike path that runs alongside it going from Perth all the way to South Yunderup rd where it then will move you safely onto the shoulder of the Forrest Hwy.
Still how is any of that relevant? What they were doing still wasn't particularly dangerous not to themselves nor others. The Hume Freeway would be Australia busiest rural freeway, nobody expects bicycles in the emergency lane. But it certainly is legal for cyclists to ride on it.
Baalzamon wrote:I would have hated to get home to find "2 cyclists killed on Kwinana fwy report" knowing I could have done something to prevent it. And just who else could I call in that situation.....
Why do you need to call anybody!?

Quick get on the phone! You can save the lives of dozens of pedestrians.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:37 pm

That is a good pic human909, the lady on the left is just starting off. she might get the green by the time she gets to the other side. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:14 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Can't compare the M7 to the kwinana fwy. it's like apples and oranges. Kwinana fwy has got an exceptional bike path that runs alongside it going from Perth all the way to South Yunderup rd where it then will move you safely onto the shoulder of the Forrest Hwy.

Also now here in WA they are considering using the existing emergency lane as a permanent lane. Compound that fact that the day before I saw those dumb cyclists a bus had gone thru the median strip there. I would have hated to get home to find "2 cyclists killed on Kwinana fwy report" knowing I could have done something to prevent it. And just who else could I call in that situation.....

Uh, unless there is some other M7, then it too has an excellent bike path. But the motorway shoulder can be used by bike riders and often is. I use it sometimes myself. If you are a careful and confident rider, there is no problem.

The shoulder is much safer than other roads that dump you out with the normal traffic where there isn't a shoulder.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:48 pm

outnabike wrote:That is a good pic human909, the lady on the left is just starting off. she might get the green by the time she gets to the other side. :)
King Street, Sydney. The peds waited for the white van to pass but not for the only bicycle courier in the Sydney CBD obeying traffic signals. :lol:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:28 pm

biker jk wrote:
outnabike wrote:That is a good pic human909, the lady on the left is just starting off. she might get the green by the time she gets to the other side. :)
King Street, Sydney. The peds waited for the white van to pass but not for the only bicycle courier in the Sydney CBD obeying traffic signals. :lol:
Suddenly

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:58 pm

biker jk wrote:King Street, Sydney.
Knew it wasn't melbs, the clothes were too bright and there weren't enough iPeds.

Personally I think it's a great example of how humans can cooperate nicely-until they get a roof and an engine.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

herzog

Postby herzog » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:09 am

This is pretty dopey riding:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:35 am

yesterday morning. 2 guys ran a red pedestrian crossing that I was stopped at. I caught up with them later on. I said to my riding buddy "hey look - a couple of red light runners"
They weren't impressed at me :mrgreen:
they liked it less when I overtook them

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:47 am

Mulger bill wrote:Personally I think it's a great example of how humans can cooperate nicely-until they get a roof and an engine.
I agree, but it depends on the speeds of the cyclist involved, in this case it doesn't look like he is or was zooming along.

I take few issues with pedestrians crossing illegally as long as they are looking and doing so mindfully. Plenty of times a pedestrian has crossed the road illegally in front of me while I've been speeding along. But if we maintain eye contact and are sensible then there is plenty of road space that we can both share without even pausing on our respective paths. :D

Other times though when riding in a bike lane next to stopped traffic, or an enclosed separated bike lane at all times then things can get more hairy when the pedestrians are not looking and you have almost nowhere to go to avoid them.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:28 pm

Riding at 5:00am this morning on a main road through a shopping centre area, pedestrian jaywalks straight across without even looking (and not at a crossing). I mean, couldn't he see the light on my bike, or hear the noise? It has about the loudest freehub in the world!

Ended up calling out at him from a distance and going around him once he realised.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:17 pm

This afternoon, I saw this young girl on her bike leading a pony. How nice, I thought, until I saw that the pony's lead rope was wrapped at least half a dozen times around her right bar and lever :shock: You can see mum in the background: no excuses for letting this happen.

Bennyfishel

Postby Bennyfishel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:38 pm

A lot of people won't believe this,but it is TRUE....in the city centre of adelaide my wife & I saw a 15-16 y o riding his pushbike with cars all around him ,........................reading his i-pod......I've also seen a teenager reading his i-Pod whilst trampolining.
AUSTRALIANS ALL LET US REJOICE FOR WE ARE 1-2-3
YOU DON'T GO FORWARD BY JUST PATTING YOURSELF ON THE BACK.