The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

InTheWoods

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:11 am

Ah under the gateway.

The streetview pictures have no bicycle lane start sign so its not a bicycle lane at least when streetview went through. If it was, riders would have to be using it anyway, "all bicycles" sign or not.

I'm not convinced the all bicycles sign has legal effect given its not in the road rules but maybe somebody else can help out there.
Last edited by InTheWoods on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:16 am

Not sure about what photos google is using but the sign is there and has been for as many years as I have been traveling Wynnum Road to go to work and that is about 6 years now. It is a bit dangerous to try and get a photograph of it unless you got a passenger in your car to take it. I ride my motorcycle to work every day so I have no way of getting a photograph of it.

Jason beat me to it - it is a continuation of the bicycle lane city bound on Wynnum Rd.... Similar to the one on the opposite side of the road that BigRed made a comment about in another thread, but there is no special lane on the opposite side I don't believe.
OI onya bike!!!

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:59 am

Checked on the way home the special bicycle lane is on both sides of the Gateway underpass and both signed with the ALL BICYCLES sign.

about the same time this morning a cyclist was approaching it as I went under the bridge and he did the right thing and followed the lane as directed. Good onya mate you are doing us all proud.
OI onya bike!!!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:06 am

I wanted to avoid that bit a few weeks back as someone had decided to throw glass bottles in there :roll:

Another one is along Sandgate road just before Hamilton Road when heading towards Nundah. All bicycles have to use the side street as there wasn't enough room to add in a bike lane in that section (elevation changes/roadside infrastructure eg power lines, traffic lights, road lighting, bus stops, retaining wall etc). I ignore it if I want to access Hamilton Road but if I'm going thru I'll use it. On the plus side it bypasses the Hamilton Road/Sandgate Road intersection and it helps you hit 60.9kph on the other side... if you obey the stop sign that 99% of Cyclists ignore :P

https://www.google.com.au/maps?ll=-27.3 ... 93,,0,6.08" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:23 am

Lukeyboy wrote:I wanted to avoid that bit a few weeks back as someone had decided to throw glass bottles in there :roll:

Another one is along Sandgate road just before Hamilton Road when heading towards Nundah. All bicycles have to use the side street as there wasn't enough room to add in a bike lane in that section (elevation changes/roadside infrastructure eg power lines, traffic lights, road lighting, bus stops, retaining wall etc). I ignore it if I want to access Hamilton Road but if I'm going thru I'll use it. On the plus side it bypasses the Hamilton Road/Sandgate Road intersection and it helps you hit 60.9kph on the other side... if you obey the stop sign that 99% of Cyclists ignore :P

https://www.google.com.au/maps?ll=-27.3 ... 93,,0,6.08" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep so when this happens we cannot really fault other road users when they say we are a law unto ourselves.

Bugger about the fools that broke the bottles in there - did you stop and get of the broken glass?
OI onya bike!!!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:32 am

^ re broken glass. I rang Brisbane City council about some broken glass on a shared path. It was cleaned up by that afternoon.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:53 am

Should have wrote "if you don't obey the stop sign".

It's a very weird setup. I'd like to see a giveway sign for cyclists and the stop sign for motor vehicle traffic. With cars its understandable as you have to merge into a already in use lane but on a bike it's like a give way sign as the road now forms into the bike lane. There's no shoulder and there's a retaining wall there on Sandgate road so no cars are going to be in the bike lane when it forms. Very understandable to just ignore it and go flying right past as I usually do :P

Just held on, took the visible line where others had gone and hoped I didn't get a puncture. There was no chance of cleaning it up unless I had a broom. BCC are hit and miss with glass form me. I reported broken glass... like a pane of glass had falled off a window fitting truck at the Nundah Sandgate road bypass last year and it took them until March to clean it up. It's still there in parts.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:25 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Should have wrote "if you don't obey the stop sign".

It's a very weird setup. I'd like to see a giveway sign for cyclists and the stop sign for motor vehicle traffic. With cars its understandable as you have to merge into a already in use lane but on a bike it's like a give way sign as the road now forms into the bike lane. There's no shoulder and there's a retaining wall there on Sandgate road so no cars are going to be in the bike lane when it forms. Very understandable to just ignore it and go flying right past as I usually do :P
I would pretty do the same as you do, well maybe not the flying part :)

Andrew

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:33 pm

How else am i going to claim all those 10m strava segment then? :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:57 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:I wanted to avoid that bit a few weeks back as someone had decided to throw glass bottles in there :roll:

Yep so when this happens we cannot really fault other road users when they say we are a law unto ourselves.

Bugger about the fools that broke the bottles in there - did you stop and get of the broken glass?
Yes, we'll just get out our very portable fold up broom.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:08 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:

Yes, we'll just get out our very portable fold up broom.
I have stopped and picked up broken glass and got rid of off the bike ways and walking tracks before, it wasn't difficult... I figured that was my good deed and I would have hoped other did it as well... obviously not in some cases.
OI onya bike!!!

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:29 pm

Gordonhooker wrote: I have stopped and picked up broken glass and got rid of off the bike ways and walking tracks before, it wasn't difficult... I figured that was my good deed and I would have hoped other did it as well... obviously not in some cases.
Most of us dont actually ride brooms. Since a bit of glass the size of a grain of rice can cause a flat we would be there a long time using our hands

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:32 pm

Percrime wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote: I have stopped and picked up broken glass and got rid of off the bike ways and walking tracks before, it wasn't difficult... I figured that was my good deed and I would have hoped other did it as well... obviously not in some cases.
Most of us dont actually ride brooms. Since a bit of glass the size of a grain of rice can cause a flat we would be there a long time using our hands
I wouldn't have expected anyone to try and pick that up, but then again that wasn't my point...
OI onya bike!!!

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:32 pm

Had a cracker dumb pedestrian tonight. City bound on the Gore Hill cycleway, a bus load of people had just been dropped off at the bus stop. There is one ped who is starting to look my way but doesn't see me and then turns looking the otherway and stepping out. I called out hey hey hey to get his attention. And after I passed he drops the f bomb cyclist comment; to which I responded with the adrenaline of the situation by calling something that is unprintable here. I then reviewed my video footage and gps data, and I didn't do anything wrong - well with my cycling. I perhaps would not have returned fire if I had my time again. Given the pedestrian volume, I only had the line I was travelling in to travel in. My GPS said I was travelling at 9 km/h in the lead up and throughout that section till it was safer to go faster. Is 9 km/h too fast in these situations?

From reviewing the footage, I think the guy was distracted by some good sorts on the other side of the path; and was probably thinking of something cheesy to say to them. I wonder what they would have thought if I crashed into him. The only reason there was no crash was because he responded straight away to my "hey hey hey" and jumped out my way the correct way. Small mercies I guess.

I also tried to be a good fellow commuter by warning an oncoming cyclist about an unleased dog; but obviously caused more confusion - I hope when he saw the unleashed dogs he realised what I was trying to tell him. I hope he didn;t think I was insulting him!!!

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Peds really should be registered. No accountability!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Thrilloilogy wrote:Had a cracker dumb pedestrian tonight. City bound on the Gore Hill cycleway, a bus load of people had just been dropped off at the bus stop. There is one ped who is starting to look my way but doesn't see me and then turns looking the otherway and stepping out. I called out hey hey hey to get his attention. And after I passed he drops the f bomb cyclist comment; to which I responded with the adrenaline of the situation by calling something that is unprintable here. I then reviewed my video footage and gps data, and I didn't do anything wrong - well with my cycling. I perhaps would not have returned fire if I had my time again. Given the pedestrian volume, I only had the line I was travelling in to travel in. My GPS said I was travelling at 9 km/h in the lead up and throughout that section till it was safer to go faster. Is 9 km/h too fast in these situations?

From reviewing the footage, I think the guy was distracted by some good sorts on the other side of the path; and was probably thinking of something cheesy to say to them. I wonder what they would have thought if I crashed into him. The only reason there was no crash was because he responded straight away to my "hey hey hey" and jumped out my way the correct way. Small mercies I guess.

I also tried to be a good fellow commuter by warning an oncoming cyclist about an unleased dog; but obviously caused more confusion - I hope when he saw the unleashed dogs he realised what I was trying to tell him. I hope he didn;t think I was insulting him!!!
I don't really know why you are mentioning it here? Pedestrians = unaccountable around this place, cyclists must give way. According to months and months of discussions on the topic which I might just dig up for interest.

I think you did the right thing, but until pedestrians are required to be responsible for their actions, they'll keep doing this AND blame cyclists for it. :| All you can do is be extra careful around them and know that whatever happens, it's ALWAYS our fault, never the fault of the pedestrian. :?
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:21 pm

You can tell the rain's stopped in Melbs...
Ninjas, salmon and bike path meanderthals aplenty on the run into work. *sigh*
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Me, this morning.

Glorious day, sunshine, so rode the 1990 Apollo 'Clipper' to work.

Crosswinds all the way there, and a headwind all the way home.

Wish I'd ridden the K-Mart dual-shock BSO instead, it's built like a
bridge, and doesn't budge for crosswinds. The 'Clipper' on the other
hand, kept trying to turn itself into a hang-glider... :-(
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:04 pm

And here's one, an oldie but a goodie...

14-year-old kid, big exam that day, up late studying the night before. On the way to school.

Head down, bum up on a single-speed (not 'fixed') Speedwell 'Flash', mind on the exam, not on the road.

Rides straight into the rear quarter-panel of a car that's just backed out of a drive-way.

Bent forks and injured pride the only casualties, fortunately.

That was over 40 years ago, now I ride to the conditions, and watch where I'm going!! :-)
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:35 am

Mulger bill wrote:You can tell the rain's stopped in Melbs...
Ninjas, salmon and bike path meanderthals aplenty on the run into work. *sigh*
Love it can I use that word sometimes please?
OI onya bike!!!

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:38 am

Gordonhooker wrote:Tues 22 Oct 2013 between 7:35 - 7:40 AM a group of cyclists city bound on Wynnum Road at Tingalpa - there is a specially built bicycle lane obviously built for both cyclist safety and is signed ALL BICYCLES - group of about 10 cyclist the lead rider ignores the ALL BICYCLES sign the group blindly follow him through. The people in the group will know who they are when they read this - you people are not doing the rest of us any favours by ignoring road rules, you are adding the motorists mindset that we are all a law unto ourselves.
Thurs 24 Oct 2013 same time, same place, smaller group but same lead rider straight through again totally ignoring the signed bike lane... I might have a chat to one of my buddies at our local Police station and ask him to let the traffic branch boys know about this bloke and his groups.... unless we as cyclists do something about this people who give us a bad name then we really can't argue against those who think we are a law unto ourselves.
OI onya bike!!!

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:43 am

Gordonhooker wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:Tues 22 Oct 2013 between 7:35 - 7:40 AM a group of cyclists city bound on Wynnum Road at Tingalpa - there is a specially built bicycle lane obviously built for both cyclist safety and is signed ALL BICYCLES - group of about 10 cyclist the lead rider ignores the ALL BICYCLES sign the group blindly follow him through. The people in the group will know who they are when they read this - you people are not doing the rest of us any favours by ignoring road rules, you are adding the motorists mindset that we are all a law unto ourselves.
Thurs 24 Oct 2013 same time, same place, smaller group but same lead rider straight through again totally ignoring the signed bike lane... I might have a chat to one of my buddies at our local Police station and ask him to let the traffic branch boys know about this bloke and his groups.... unless we as cyclists do something about this people who give us a bad name then we really can't argue against those who think we are a law unto ourselves.
While I don't condone breaking rules, can I ask, did you make that much effort last time you saw a driver do something against the rules, with possibly much more serious consequences other than using a piece of road?

ps. You haven't yet confirmed if there is a bike lane start sign there now which would indicate it was actually a bike lane (no bike lane start sign = not a bike lane). If there isn't such a sign, I don't believe the "all cyclists" sign has a legal meaning on the road as it is not in the list of legal signs.
Last edited by InTheWoods on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:51 am

I was a dumb cyclist about 11 years ago and was about 18 years old at the time. Was riding a friends road bike for the first time, couldn't believe how quick it was. I ended up going a bit quicker than I should gravel and someone else on the other lane was also coming through the corner a bit quick and we ended up swerving to get out of each others way and both nearly managed to stop in time and the other cyclist fell off. Unfortunately he didn't have gloves so I still remember him picking up the rocks from his palm :(

I was so apologetic to him but he said we just both ended up being at the wrong place at the wrong time and was very compassionate :(

Sorry cyclist out there :(
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:53 am

InTheWoods wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:
While I don't condone braking rules, can I ask, did you make that much effort last time you saw a driver do something against the rules, with possibly much more serious consequences other than using a piece of road?

ps. You haven't yet confirmed if there is a bike lane start sign there now which would indicate it was actually a bike lane (no bike lane start sign = not a bike lane). If there isn't such a sign, I don't believe the "all cyclists" sign has a legal meaning on the road as it is not in the list of legal signs.
Actually I have in regards to motorcyclists in our club forums my mantra has always been the same - we cannot expect respect from other road users if we don't respect the road rules... I don't see cycling any different then I see motorcycling. If I was member of a motor car club and I saw fellow members doing the wrong thing there I would also say the same as I say here and in the motor bike forums. I live in hope that one day some of the clowns on the road might just listen, and it will be safer for everyone.
OI onya bike!!!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:55 am

Gordonhooker wrote:
Percrime wrote:
I wouldn't have expected anyone to try and pick that up, but then again that wasn't my point...
Maybe your point was that you were trolling.

If not, you can clean the bike path up the road from my place - a full time job picking up loads of smashed glass. Clean it up and five minutes later the local bogans smash more of it to make sure we get flats.

Perhaps you'll put as much effort into going after these glass smashing idiots as you will prosecuting your vendetta against a bunch of cyclists.

Apologies if my wording seems strong - but your post hit a nerve.