The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jindydiver

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jindydiver » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:39 am

Biffidus wrote:That second one... the guy shouldn't have moved out without checking it was clear but the other cyclist was taking a big risk passing him so closely with oncoming cyclists approaching.
"The overtaking rider is forced wide by someone on a Santander hire bike and rides head-on into the cyclists coming the other way."

Not exactly an accurate description in the article of what happened :roll:

zero

Postby zero » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:33 am

jindydiver wrote:
Biffidus wrote:That second one... the guy shouldn't have moved out without checking it was clear but the other cyclist was taking a big risk passing him so closely with oncoming cyclists approaching.
"The overtaking rider is forced wide by someone on a Santander hire bike and rides head-on into the cyclists coming the other way."

Aye, the hire bike was always on his side of the path, and also you'd expect someone who was overtaking other riders to move straight out immediately after the last oncoming rider passed, on the assumption that riders behind him were still blocked from moving out

Not the time and place I'd count on a head check from a hire bike rider as my sole defence against being punted off my bike.

Also in 2 speed traffic, the gaps are often not big enough for all the overtaking riders to fit in, riders really can't follow someone through particularly closely, kinda need to wait for the next gap on the same side to be available before overtaking

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:47 am

Like so many collisions, the number of people doing dumb things is >1. More proof if it were needed that MGIF is a human habit not limited to motorists.

Jash Rider

Postby Jash Rider » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Old guy walking the Petrie to Kippa-Ring shared path at 4am wearing dark clothes from head to toe. Practically invisible until you're within about 3-4 metres of him, even with 500 lumens and 6,000+cd coming out the front of your bike. For Pete's sake at least put some white socks on!

Group of lardies taking up both lanes of the shared path and refusing to move over into their lane as I approached. I slowed down and kept my line and the one lardy on the end abused me as she had to move partially off my lane.

The Petrie to Kippa-Ring shared path is well marked as a two lane, two directional path. There's no excuse for ignorance except that you live in Kallangur.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:21 pm

Hehe lardies

uart

Postby uart » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:21 pm

jindydiver wrote:

I'm not seeing that "Santander hire bike" (presumably that's the one with the funny handlebars) rider being at fault in any way there. He stays on his side of the path and holds a reasonably straight line in my opinion. Sure he stays a little wide, but only because he's keeping ready to overtake the preceding rider and soon as there is a break in oncoming cycle traffic.

The guy who chooses to overtake him while he is wide and there is oncoming, that's the guy who is 100% at fault in my opinion.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:09 am

uart wrote:
jindydiver wrote:

I'm not seeing that "Santander hire bike" (presumably that's the one with the funny handlebars) rider being at fault in any way there. He stays on his side of the path and holds a reasonably straight line in my opinion. Sure he stays a little wide, but only because he's keeping ready to overtake the preceding rider and soon as there is a break in oncoming cycle traffic.

The guy who chooses to overtake him while he is wide and there is oncoming, that's the guy who is 100% at fault in my opinion.
Am I the only one who noticed that the other rider road straight into the Santander bike's handlebars? It's rather obvious if you watch the video. Once the other rider pushed his handlebar forwards, there was no other possible outcome. Definitely 100% the other rider's fault.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:05 pm

cj7hawk wrote:Am I the only one who noticed that the other rider road straight into the Santander bike's handlebars? It's rather obvious if you watch the video. Once the other rider pushed his handlebar forwards, there was no other possible outcome. Definitely 100% the other rider's fault.
You're not the only one, however from the YT comments there seems to be a lot of "real cyclist" road bike super-commuters clouded by experience stereotypes of Boris Bike riders, so they don't view the footage for its actual content.
The video author reviews it further and tries to confirm what actually happened, but it's a token effort in the flood of comments.

So it looks like:
1) Road bike passing in oncoming lane forcing oncoming riders to veer to their left curb.
- punishable by hanging, or lifetime restriction to a Boris Bike.
2) Road bike hits the bars of the Boris Bike.
- one of the many things that can go wrong if 1) goes unpunished.
3) It all goes pear shaped.
- Voiceover in the slow-motion https://youtu.be/5RH5HBq5hOg?t=56 should have been "It was at this point that Josephine realised she fvcked up." so that it would be clearer for the YT viewers.

alh9a5

Postby alh9a5 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:49 pm

The idiot who overtook on thew wrong side of the path caused the whole mess trying to squeeze the gap instead of waiting and got what he deserved, just a shame others went down due to his actions. Hope he copped a real serve from everyone involved.

It really annoys me when morons insist on selfishly squeezing by and making things three wide, along with riding two abreast on the path and forcing people coming the other way to avoid them.

While I'm ranting how hard is a quick "bike back" or "bike right" when overtaking. I do it for my safety more than anything, its like these idiots don't contemplate that coming off their bike or inuring someone is a possibility.

Ahh all better now, peace out folks

alh9a5

Postby alh9a5 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:52 pm

"injuring"

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:58 am

Flashback from one of my YT lists. It's like a Scrabble double word score.

That section in my commute was probably the single longest uphill, the downhill direction was definitely the fastest ride segment with trip top speed, a section with short steep path drop taking you from 15kph coasting to 30kph in an instant.

Life Changer – Quadriplegic from Shared Path Head-on Crash
That's just one sad story documented of a local suffering from oncoming path collision.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:54 am

a few hairy moments there

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:33 am

The bloke on a yum cha roadie riding on the right hand side of the bike path round the bay run, who yells at me to "keep left".

That would be your other left braniac!

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:21 pm

On my evening commute yesterday, negotiating the somewhat convoluted access to the northbound rail bridge cyclepath at Rhodes in Sydney, a rider cut in from across the road and accelerated sharply past me onto the bridge. Fair enough I suppose, but then he continued on at a pretty easy pace so I caught him quickly. He was keeping left, the path ahead was clear of on-coming traffic, so I moved right and began to roll past. It was at that moment that he decided to also move across as we were approaching a pedestrian on our side of the path. Not sure why he decided to move then, as there was plenty of room, but he did so very sharply, and with no attempt to check that it was clear. I called out, but he moved so quickly he had already hit me. It was fortunate I was on a recumbent, because he hit my foot, and not my wheel or handlebar as he would if I’d been on a conventional bike. I bounced sideways, but stayed upright. He looked across at me, said nothing and rode on as if nothing had happened. When I caught up to him again, and suggested he might like to look where he was going, he refused to even make eye contact.

I accept that it is the responsibility of the passing rider to do so safely, but surely we all should ride predictably and CHECK before changing lines?

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:28 pm

You've hit on one of my pet peeves as it's an issue of the Main Yarra Trail on the commute in and out of Melbourne. Since you get all skill levels on the commuter trails, you've got to take extra care. If you're about to overtake, ring your bell or call 'passing'. Easy.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:39 pm

duncan16v wrote:You've hit on one of my pet peeves as it's an issue of the Main Yarra Trail on the commute in and out of Melbourne. Since you get all skill levels on the commuter trails, you've got to take extra care. If you're about to overtake, ring your bell or call 'passing'. Easy.
Yes I agree you should provide a warning when overtaking. However, this won't help when the cyclist being passed has headphones and/or can't ride in a straight line.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:44 pm

rdp_au wrote:On my evening commute yesterday, negotiating the somewhat convoluted access to the northbound rail bridge cyclepath at Rhodes in Sydney, a rider cut in from across the road and accelerated sharply past me onto the bridge. Fair enough I suppose, but then he continued on at a pretty easy pace so I caught him quickly. He was keeping left, the path ahead was clear of on-coming traffic, so I moved right and began to roll past. It was at that moment that he decided to also move across as we were approaching a pedestrian on our side of the path. Not sure why he decided to move then, as there was plenty of room, but he did so very sharply, and with no attempt to check that it was clear. I called out, but he moved so quickly he had already hit me. It was fortunate I was on a recumbent, because he hit my foot, and not my wheel or handlebar as he would if I’d been on a conventional bike. I bounced sideways, but stayed upright. He looked across at me, said nothing and rode on as if nothing had happened. When I caught up to him again, and suggested he might like to look where he was going, he refused to even make eye contact.

I accept that it is the responsibility of the passing rider to do so safely, but surely we all should ride predictably and CHECK before changing lines?
How come you couldn't slow down and let the person ahead do the overtake first, and then overtake after they've completed their overtake of the pedestrian? While the rider ahead could have indicated, it's also a bit of your responsibility too. You can also slow down a bit well before catching the pedestrian and rider so as to give the rider ahead enough time to complete his overtake, and then you get to go past both without any big acceleration or braking needed. That's usually what I do around other riders and pedestrians, I'm cautious.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:09 pm

I've observed frequent risky riding behaviour by food delivery couriers but this is just off the scale. It appears that many of these couriers are foreigners and have no idea about riding safely in Sydney.

https://goo.gl/8zXF94

itsaghostcar

Postby itsaghostcar » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:15 am

Have to put my hand up and nominate myself. In my hurry the other day to lock bicycle and child trailer as well as keeping an eye on my 2 yo before we rushed to the pool to get changed in time for swim school, I accidentally put one of the cable locks through one of the next bike's brake cable.

Announcement over the PA at the pool came just as my little guy was shivering from the cold and needing to warm up in the showers. I ran out of the change rooms to tell one of the staff where I was, but I couldn't leave my son alone in the showers. It meant the owner of the trapped bicycle had to wait a little longer while we got changed as quickly as a 2 yo would let you.

So apologies again to the other rider if you happen to be on these forums for my carelessness!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:21 pm

biker jk wrote:I've observed frequent risky riding behaviour by food delivery couriers but this is just off the scale. It appears that many of these couriers are foreigners and have no idea about riding safely in Sydney.

I see them a lot weaving in front of fast moving traffic, going across against lights, etc. Nobody seems to care, not least on here anyway. If it weren't for the newspaper article, I guess nothing more would have been said.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:56 pm

biker jk wrote:I've observed frequent risky riding behaviour by food delivery couriers but this is just off the scale. It appears that many of these couriers are foreigners and have no idea about riding safely in Sydney.

Foreigners or not, the company line "all riders must carry insurance" says it all. Another exploitation of vulnerable workers. Hammer the business, not the poor dumb cyclist I say.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:52 pm

fat and old wrote:

Foreigners or not, the company line "all riders must carry insurance" says it all. Another exploitation of vulnerable workers. Hammer the business, not the poor dumb cyclist I say.
Indeed I made the same point to a riding buddy today. There needs to be better regulation of these companies before a rider is killed.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:01 pm

School girl crossing road (note she's wearing headphones) doesn't look right.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/3309374 ... car/#page1

Mother pushing pram across multi-lane major road (she did have two bicycle helmets attached to the pram)

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/33084790/wa ... y-traffic/

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:23 pm

biker jk wrote:School girl crossing road (note she's wearing headphones) doesn't look right.

Mother pushing pram across multi-lane major road (she did have two bicycle helmets attached to the pram)

Were those ear buds actually in her ears at any time during the video?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:31 pm

jindydiver wrote:
biker jk wrote:School girl crossing road (note she's wearing headphones) doesn't look right.

Were those ear buds actually in her ears at any time during the video?
Yes. Pause the video before she steps out in front of the car. She knocks one out with her hand after being startled.