The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Summernight

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:35 am

Don't stop in a tight and almost blind spot to fix something on the rear wheel of your mate's bike..

This morning there were two cyclists fixing up something on one of their bikes.. Unfortunately they'd chosen to do this in the tight gutter bike lane (that's not a bike lane) beside the tram superstop just where the road curves from Macarthur to Collins Street, so pretty much in a blind spot and a place where cars regularly use that section of non-bike lane to complete their turns. Not the smartest of places to fix something when they could just hop up onto the footpath right beside.

Yesterday morning's silly pedestrian - he let his little child (who he is holding the hand of) potter out from the blind side of a tram superstop (one of the ones without a zebra crossing) and then himself steps out into the middle of the road without checking for cars (and/or bicycles) bearing down on him. Lucky for him and his child I was the first one through, noticed the child stepping out, braked and shouted at him to stop, to which he startled, then turned his head and got himself and his little child off the road. I would have thought one would make sure their child did not step out ANYWHERE before them without checking first. That kid could have been skittled by the car behind me. :?

Pic of the time just after he finally notices me, looks in the direction of the cars and starts pulling his child back:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:17 am

this guy, just about every day does something that makes me shake my head. he wears headphones with the volume up, runs red lights, doesn't service his bike (always has a noisey chain - the bearing on his old bike were stuffed, he started riding this bike earlier this year)

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:29 am

That's pretty funny. Thanks for posting :lol:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:48 pm

All the riders infront of me not calling on an Audax ride that we were stopping! 26kph dropped to 13kph before I hit him. I locked up nicely. The problem is rider weight. The one in front of me is much lighter than me so they stop quicker... I ended up rear ending a fellow rider, luckily we didn't crash and I missed his rear derailleur.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:56 pm

I thought you ride solo in Audax?
I had the opposite last weekend riding in a bunch. I was about 25m from traffic lights doing about 25km/h when they changed. I called stopping, and the twits behind me (not in my group) decided to overtake through the changing lights.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:26 pm

queequeg wrote:I thought you ride solo in Audax?
I had the opposite last weekend riding in a bunch. I was about 25m from traffic lights doing about 25km/h when they changed. I called stopping, and the twits behind me (not in my group) decided to overtake through the changing lights.
This was one of those social audax rides :)

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:42 pm

Bit of a mixed bag. 1st is a shared path. Locked up the back wheel causing a considerable tear in the tyre.
Next is just a numpty car that pulls out as I am coming along.
Nothing major.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:53 pm

I got run into a by a cyclist! :shock:

I was in sydney at macquarie uni on the weekend and on sunday afternoon i was walking back to the accommodation to get my car and drive home.

I was on the path through macquarie park that goes between Epping road and to another main drag near the shopping centre - there's a big aldi sign outside. (sorry - not sure of the street).

So I was trundling along with a backpack (food/jumper/purse etc), a laptop computer in a bag slung over 1 shoulder and a sports bag carrying a folder full of books etc.

I always keep left on shared paths as i don't want to be one of *those* stupid pedestrians and am always conscious that there are other path users. No earphones and well aware of my surroundings. There were a few families and kids in the vicinity. At 1 point i heard a ding and a cyclist then passed me. My spidey senses and alert ears then told me more were following. then VOOMPAH Say What??? arrrrrgh SPPLLAAT, scrape scrape...

Oh sorry. Say What???? I was just run into from behind. my bags went in all directions and my first thought was don't drop my computer As i went sprawling i just tried to keep my feet. I turned around there was a pobso girl on the ground and another one behind her going ooooh oooh sorry. I can't remember what my first reaction was but it probably wasn't nice.

The girl was saying sorry sorry. I said - how on earth did you hit me? I was keeping well left and walking on my side and predictably. The cyclist behind (they all looked like international students) asked her if she was okay. She looked like she had hurt her knee. (What about me mate??? I'm the one ploughed into - mind you they were probably going only about 20 kmph). Sorry sorry. Then the girl king of untangled herself and her bike and stood up. she'd obviously hurt herself as she was kind of hopping from one foot to the other and i could see a graze on the outside of her knee.

I said something like - this is a share path. It is up to you to NOT HIT ME!!! I really wanted to let fly but i think it wasn't deliberate but more a just can't ride factor. I said You must learn to keep aware of your surroundings and make sure you don't run into people. Meanwhile number 3 was now saying sorry sorry sorry. Finally he asked are you okay (to me). Yes. Lucky I wasn't an old lady as you could've really hurt someone.

Meanwhile number 1 possibly looked back and saw he was on his own and he came back to find out what had happened. I said ' your friend just ploughed into me mate - and could've sent me flying'. She was obviously embarrased and awkward. I really wanted to say i'm a cyclist too but didn't. I said - I was walking in a straight line, not distracted and keeping well left and you passed me correctly and safely, but your mate just ploughed straight into me. I said something like if she can't pass people safely she has to give pedestrians plenty of room. There is easily room on this path for both of us and you yourself know i was on the left as you passed me only a few moments ago.

He said we'll look after her now and then he said sorry and the girl was still dithering around. I stood there for another minute as if to say 'is that it? you could've really hurt a little old lady but i didn't. I think they all felt awkward and din't know what to do and number 1 said 'oh it's okay - you can go now!? what???? errr - your friend just ploughed into me but you're more worried about her. ???

I said - this is a shared path and you will see other people here. It is HER responsibility to not run into other pedestrians. I got to the next tunnell (epping road) and they still hadn't come past yet. I'm not sure wehther they were all embarrassed or the girl didn't want to, or was unable to, continue.

I couldn't frigging believe it. i hope those people aren't posters on here.... :evil:

queequeg

The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Yikes

Sounds like you were on the Shrimptons Creek Shared path between Epping and Waterloo Rd.

I have almost been taken out by a motorcyclist in the tunnel under Epping Rd (actually, it was an unregistered trail bike).
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:27 am

Its quite narrow in places and all sorts use Shrimptons from newbies and kids to roadies. Also heavily pedestrianed, mix of young people walking to work and oldies out for exercise. Sounds like a very inexperienced rider and an innocent accident. You were both in a little shock i guess. anyone would be in shock getting hit from behind when least expected and im sure she was stressed and in shock as well.

There is probably going to be more of this as we have little cycling culture to start with and its rapidly becoming a major means of transport. New people taking it up all the time with poor skil and no training or common bike sense for want of a better word. I guess in cultures that cycle as kids and just don't stop it it part of growing up to be taught these things. Here in many cases it is the blind leading the blind and it will take a long time before the skills and knowledge become entrenched.
Tom

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:57 am

cp123 wrote:I got run into a by a cyclist! :shock:

I was in sydney at macquarie uni on the weekend and on sunday afternoon i was walking back to the accommodation to get my car and drive home.

I was on the path through macquarie park that goes between Epping road and to another main drag near the shopping centre - there's a big aldi sign outside. (sorry - not sure of the street).

So I was trundling along with a backpack (food/jumper/purse etc), a laptop computer in a bag slung over 1 shoulder and a sports bag carrying a folder full of books etc.

I always keep left on shared paths as i don't want to be one of *those* stupid pedestrians and am always conscious that there are other path users. No earphones and well aware of my surroundings. There were a few families and kids in the vicinity. At 1 point i heard a ding and a cyclist then passed me. My spidey senses and alert ears then told me more were following. then VOOMPAH Say What??? arrrrrgh SPPLLAAT, scrape scrape...

Oh sorry. Say What???? I was just run into from behind. my bags went in all directions and my first thought was don't drop my computer As i went sprawling i just tried to keep my feet. I turned around there was a pobso girl on the ground and another one behind her going ooooh oooh sorry. I can't remember what my first reaction was but it probably wasn't nice.

The girl was saying sorry sorry. I said - how on earth did you hit me? I was keeping well left and walking on my side and predictably. The cyclist behind (they all looked like international students) asked her if she was okay. She looked like she had hurt her knee. (What about me mate??? I'm the one ploughed into - mind you they were probably going only about 20 kmph). Sorry sorry. Then the girl king of untangled herself and her bike and stood up. she'd obviously hurt herself as she was kind of hopping from one foot to the other and i could see a graze on the outside of her knee.

I said something like - this is a share path. It is up to you to NOT HIT ME!!! I really wanted to let fly but i think it wasn't deliberate but more a just can't ride factor. I said You must learn to keep aware of your surroundings and make sure you don't run into people. Meanwhile number 3 was now saying sorry sorry sorry. Finally he asked are you okay (to me). Yes. Lucky I wasn't an old lady as you could've really hurt someone.

Meanwhile number 1 possibly looked back and saw he was on his own and he came back to find out what had happened. I said ' your friend just ploughed into me mate - and could've sent me flying'. She was obviously embarrased and awkward. I really wanted to say i'm a cyclist too but didn't. I said - I was walking in a straight line, not distracted and keeping well left and you passed me correctly and safely, but your mate just ploughed straight into me. I said something like if she can't pass people safely she has to give pedestrians plenty of room. There is easily room on this path for both of us and you yourself know i was on the left as you passed me only a few moments ago.

He said we'll look after her now and then he said sorry and the girl was still dithering around. I stood there for another minute as if to say 'is that it? you could've really hurt a little old lady but i didn't. I think they all felt awkward and din't know what to do and number 1 said 'oh it's okay - you can go now!? what???? errr - your friend just ploughed into me but you're more worried about her. ???

I said - this is a shared path and you will see other people here. It is HER responsibility to not run into other pedestrians. I got to the next tunnell (epping road) and they still hadn't come past yet. I'm not sure wehther they were all embarrassed or the girl didn't want to, or was unable to, continue.

I couldn't frigging believe it. i hope those people aren't posters on here.... :evil:
"Must go round that pedestrian, must go round that pedestrian... Oh, I'm riding into them. MUST GO ROUND THAT PEDESTRIAN"... Crash... Target fixation or distraction, maybe? :?

Hope you're okay, cp123.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:55 pm

ImageYup
Target fixation

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:00 pm

she was probably texting =P

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:48 pm

Alien - I didn't think it was deliberate obviously, but she just can't friggin ride! I'm not too young any more, but I ain't that old either. I was pretty awkwardly uncomfortable for the next couple of days so something got wrenched around. maybe it was my own trying to stop my computer from getting smashed to smithereens, or sitting in the car for hours afterwards to drive home. yes I google mapped it and it was the shrimptons creek path. She was sorry, I just felt run over but can deal with it and while it was unfortunate it did happen, the point I was trying to make was that it shouldn't have happened. I've ridden a bike for over 30 years as an adult and haven't splattered anyone yet. hmmm then again, maybe i'm doing something wrong..... lol

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:30 am

See the odd one of those happen along Southbank. Between 10 and 2 I'll get off the bike and walk it often enough, just too many people to chance it.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:46 pm

I had to go to a wedding at "The Cargo Hold" a month ago. Its right on the waters edge near Jeff's shed. Absolute mayhem with peds and bikes. I don't know how more people don't get hurt. The bikes have to do a magic weave and you dodge one to have the next ped walk blindly into the side of a bike. I would rather ride on the road.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

cp123

Postby cp123 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:42 pm

baaaaaa. sheeple.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:07 pm

Here I was starting down a nice lil hill, got to 30kph. OH look at these bright cyclists. One made it across with plenty of time thru the intersection. The other tho was turning the way I was heading, put on quite a humorous show as well as they attempted to clip in as I get closer n closer. Managed to clip in as I went past him. Just what sparked his brilliant idea pulling infront of a 118kg rider on a touring bike was and pulling out infront of a 4wd! which must have been laughing as well with his clip in show :mrgreen:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:59 pm

Had a pair of bogan guys on foot attempt to chase after me to do who knows what after we overtook them on the shared path (out of a slow uphill bend). Don't know what they thought they'd achieve... Sudden acceleration, a pretty decent wheelie and see you later guys... :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:58 am

saw a group of a dozen cyclists this morning at 5:30am. I'd say no more than 5 had lights on their bikes. Be good to find out who organises the ride and blast them on facebook

edit: strava flyby:
If you know:
Harrison Parks
Michael Potts
Olly Smith
Tell them that lights are required.

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:46 am

I don't usually bother posting these but the bloke at north Parra about 6.30pm headed towards Parra by riding in the bus lane on the wrong side of the road towards an oncoming bus certainly qualifies. I didn't have a clear view but he sure wouldn't have had much time to get out of the way and that was a game of chicken he wasn't going to win.

RedlandSteve

Postby RedlandSteve » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:59 pm

Self-nomination ... I got hot-headed this morning and made a silly pass of driver who failed to give way and pulled out on me at a cross-roads. Dare I say it.. a punishment pass?!? :oops:

Downhill approach to this intersection with my speed at around the speed limit 50 km/h. I ride in middle of the lane on approach to the cross-roads to create buffer either side of me for this exact scenario so I am more easily seen and have more space to take evasive action.

I should of just hit the brakes and moved to the left. Instead I maintained speed, passed the driver on the right, moved back to the left and pointed at my eyes to look. In response I got a couple of middle fingers.

This person had a phone out to film me down the road near the traffic lights, I guess the person thought I was going to rage, but I blew a kiss towards this person instead and went on my way... I got another middle finger, such is life.

That said I am not excusing the driver's error and DGAF attitude (MM nomination http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... 2#p1240272" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I just could of handled it better.

Last edited by RedlandSteve on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:19 pm

Nothing wrong with what you did. Your overtake was safe. His maneuver wasn't.

Indicating that he should look is not excessively hot-headed.

RedlandSteve

Postby RedlandSteve » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:26 pm

Mostly agreed not excusing the driver's behaviour. However, I didn't need to take a risk with the overtake, just prove my own principles.

paul85

Postby paul85 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:53 pm

I live about 5 KM from work in the city, I ride in 2-3 time per week and catch the bus other days. I only recently started riding to work as my new work place has lockers, very nice showers, and a bike storage room under security watch :D I always have two front and rear lights on all the time, dress in light colours and have reflective strip on my back pack, many think this is over kill. Now I keep to the PSP for most of my ride as Perth seems to have issue with cyclists...

Now this morning I decided to catch the bus, I stated there for 10 mins on Beaufort St its dark at 530 in the morning, I see about 4 cyclists come past me wearing dark clothes cycling in the shared bus/taxi/bike lane (certainly not my idea of a safe place to ride a bike) not a single light on, some wearing earphones, one so desperate for some grease I heard his bike before he was in sight. I can't possibly understand what is going through these peoples heads when they are on their bike.