The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

WhingingPom

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby WhingingPom » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:40 pm

Evidently daylight savings has messed with a few people.

Lost count of the number of hipsters and other morons riding down Sydney Road Coburg/Brunswick this evening with no lights and dark clothes. Can't think why you would want to be seen down there...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:18 pm

Out for a ride this afternoon with kids. We happened upon another group of littler kids with scooters and 16" wheeled bikes. As we made our way into the middle of the group a rider comes tearing along the other way screams "keep left" at the little girl on the 16" in front of us scaring her half to death. Yes. She was on the wrong side but you sir are a douchebag. I suspect he may have been aiming at me looking like the parent in charge, but I'd only just caught up to the little girl and had nothing to do with her riding other than noting that I may have to take some evasive action
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:01 am

Sometimes you have to wonder which one is the child

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:27 pm

Some people just don't ride to the conditions nor surroundings much like driving a car.
However today I think I scared the bejesus out of a couple of riders, I was dinging my bell left right and centre as there was a group of them. The riders I passed were making callouts etc and I guess I assumed the two lead riders heard my bell and the calls from others.

As I passed at a brisk pace it was obvious they were startled by my presence next to them. Whoops my bad , should have kept ringing the bell.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:12 am

I got a "whats wrong with the footpath" as a guy flew past about 10cm from me.
Oh sorry wrong thread.. no wait it was a cyclist who said it to me as i jogged along the side of a quiet road with almost no traffic, and plenty of room to move around "obstacles".

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:40 am

Bah - what time of day was this? was the footpath impracticable for your use?

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:10 am

About 7:30 near the construction site after davies park riverside drive.
Footpath (which i usually run on) gets muddy and slippery after rain, but its pretty irrelevant and joggers are always running on that part of the road.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:27 am

tez001 wrote:Some people just don't ride to the conditions nor surroundings much like driving a car.
However today I think I scared the bejesus out of a couple of riders, I was dinging my bell left right and centre as there was a group of them. The riders I passed were making callouts etc and I guess I assumed the two lead riders heard my bell and the calls from others.

As I passed at a brisk pace it was obvious they were startled by my presence next to them. Whoops my bad , should have kept ringing the bell.
Something similar yesterday, I followed (at a safe distance) a group of three riders on a cycleway, one whom was holding a great conversation with his mate - while riding perfectly in the middle of the wrong side of the path going uphill towards a bridge, where riders the other way are coming downhill at 40km/h or better. Not smart.

I didn't say anything - just waited for a safe time to pass and for them to notice there was someone waiting behind them.
Last edited by g-boaf on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:29 am

you're one of those runners :(
remember, some of riverside drive (specifically between parmalat and under the go between bridge) is bike only and if you are on that bit I will crack it at you.

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:59 am

Had an oblivious pedestrian this morning. She was walking along the left side of the road, back towards traffic. There's a footpath and a line of parked cars on her left. As I approached from behind and started thinking about passing, she moved out and across the road without even so much as turning her head.

How do these people manage to survive every day life?

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:17 pm

jasonc wrote: some of riverside drive (specifically between parmalat and under the go between bridge) is bike only and if you are on that bit I will crack it at you.
That's pretty petty, it's like 50 meters... seems pretty territorial, almost "get off my road", and people running there would be doing it for the same reason a cyclist wouldn't ride in a "perfectly good bike lane" (i.e. the path next to it is narrow, barely enough room to pass someone and the ground is not that even)
you're one of those runners
In the same way you're one of those cyclists i guess :?:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:23 pm

Bah77 wrote:
jasonc wrote: some of riverside drive (specifically between parmalat and under the go between bridge) is bike only and if you are on that bit I will crack it at you.
That's pretty petty, it's like 50 meters... seems pretty territorial, almost "get off my road", and people running there would be doing it for the same reason a cyclist wouldn't ride in a "perfectly good bike lane" (i.e. the path next to it is narrow, barely enough room to pass someone and the ground is not that even)
you're one of those runners
In the same way you're one of those cyclists i guess :?:
I've had crazy people running in the middle of the road heading straight at me while I'm cycling then when I suggested they run on the footpath they respond with a stream of expletives.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:16 pm

Wow the irony is thick in this the last half dozen posts. How does a runner running on a road inconvenience a cyclist? Deal with it and overtake them.

The evening I observed that my entire trip walking home was along the road. Sometimes the road is just a better surface. What happened to the days when we could happily kick a football on the road without people getting upset. :roll:

roller

Postby roller » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:21 pm

human909 wrote:What happened to the days when we could happily kick a football on the road without people getting upset. :roll:
I don't mind kids kicking the footy on the road as long as they are wearing helmets
inflammatory statement or idea

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:24 pm

human909 wrote:What happened to the days when we could happily kick a football on the road without people getting upset. :roll:
"Caaarrrrr"

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:25 am

human909 wrote:Wow the irony is thick in this the last half dozen posts. How does a runner running on a road inconvenience a cyclist? Deal with it and overtake them.
riverside drive is narrow. enough room for a vehicle one way and one or two bikes the other as there are cars parked all the way along. there is a pedestrian(only) path along the river (less than 10m away) that isn't used by a majority of the pedestrians I see at that times I ride along there. Then there is a short section that is bike only (and is signed as such at both ends) yet the pedestrians still seem to use the bike only path even though the pedestrian only path is less than 5m away. it's the normal situation of pedestrians will do whatever they want and cyclists don't belong anywhere.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:00 am

And when you're doing a riverloop i assume you use this bikelane?

Narrow road, bike path not 10meters away....

kb

Postby kb » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 am

I know as a cyclist you're not required to use a bike path (as opposed to a bike lane) unless the road is designated no bicycles (eg. Freeway). I thought as a pedestrian you were only permitted on the road if there's no alternative and then it should be facing traffic. I could be mistaken -they are a *lot* of rules :-)

That said, it never bothers me unless it's a dark clothing, no lights situation.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:25 am

kb wrote:That said, it never bothers me unless it's a dark clothing, no lights situation.
That was basically my thought, road wasn't busy, he could see me from miles away.. but rather than use that distance to move out a bit he was using it to think of what to yell at me :roll:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:26 am

I'm unsure where that is Bah77.

kb - the rule is the same as for cyclists "unless impracticable" but then running on the middle of the road 2 abreast doesn't leave much room for anyone but them....
rather than use that distance to move out a bit he was using it to think of what to yell at me
this is the right thread then

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:42 am

Bah77 wrote:And when you're doing a riverloop i assume you use this bikelane?

Narrow road, bike path not 10meters away....

What's that? A sat photo from 1998??

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:50 am

Heh yep, Street view has the bike lane pictured.
I am aware of the rules Jason, I was just using a typical argument motorists use to highlight the irony, and I was running on the side, the cyclist would have been gutter hugging if he wanted to be where I was. (And I've seen people walking five abreast there Saturday mornings I could understand frustration at that)

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:33 am

I think jasonc is talking about a short section of actual separated "bike only" path that has an adjacent pedestrian path, there is no road involved at this point.

While I think jason gets a bit too gung ho with peds at times (but look, its a very well marked bike ONLY path with a ped path next to it, so I can definitley see where he is coming from), on that exact same path, last year I had a ped walking towards me in the very middle of the bike only path, who not only didn't move out of my way they took a swing at me as I went past.

Edit: Gee google maps is out of date with the "satellite" view. They are still building the kurilpa bridge...

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:42 am

InTheWoods wrote:Edit: Gee google maps is out of date with the "satellite" view. They are still building the kurilpa bridge...
Mate that bridge was already built. That's how the bloke with the scaffolding fetish designed it. :D :D

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:58 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Edit: Gee google maps is out of date with the "satellite" view. They are still building the kurilpa bridge...
Mate that bridge was already built. That's how the bloke with the scaffolding fetish designed it. :D :D
Lol. Actually I really like the kurilpa bridge. Get a good view going across it too.