The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

human909

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby human909 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:30 pm

schroeds wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:The cretinous buffoon that rode straight through the red light at the corner of progress rd and garden rd heading towards forestlake at about 8am and then thought I was going to give way to him. You are a disgrace to every cyclist that does the right thing
Sadly there are way too many of these...giving us a bad name

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Just like there are too many sweaty Lycra cyclists who take up room at coffee shops and ride in bunches. :roll:

I'm sick of hearing this notion that we are getting a bad name from bad cyclists. This is rubbish drilled into you by a motoring majority. Cyclists have a "bad name" because we exist on the roads.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:47 pm

No, it is the bad eggs that give us a bad name. Doesn't everyone think that P plate drivers are all hoons out to kill us all? That is the hoons giving them all a bad name. I've seen at least two P platers doing the right thing but I usually expect the worst.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:57 pm

g-boaf wrote:Did you miss the smilie? ;)
Nope, but happy to correct the misunderstanding of the WA road code :wink: .
And besides, if they collected you - good luck trying to argue that they were at fault or were riding in an irresponsible manner.
I wouldn't have a problem arguing that they were at fault if they where at fault.

Regards
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:58 pm

bychosis wrote:No, it is the bad eggs that give us a bad name. Doesn't everyone think that P plate drivers are all hoons out to kill us all? That is the hoons giving them all a bad name. I've seen at least two P platers doing the right thing but I usually expect the worst.
So what things are these bad eggs doing?
*Not paying rego?
*Riding in bunches?
*Riding in the middle of the lane?
*Riding on the road during peak hour?
*Buying coffee from a cafe?
*Wearing revealing Lycra?
*Being arrogant about their fitness?
*Talking while riding?

Tut, tut. They are very bad eggs. If only we stopped all cyclists from doing those things then mummy motorist will finally love us. :roll:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:59 pm

human909 wrote:
bychosis wrote:No, it is the bad eggs that give us a bad name. Doesn't everyone think that P plate drivers are all hoons out to kill us all? That is the hoons giving them all a bad name. I've seen at least two P platers doing the right thing but I usually expect the worst.
*Not paying rego?
*Riding in bunches?
*Talking while riding?

Tut, tut. They are very bad eggs. If only we stopped all cyclists from doing those things then mummy motorist will finally love us. :roll:
and the road toll would be zero, not :roll:

Andrew

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:09 pm

schroeds wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:The onanist that rode straight through the red light at the corner of progress rd and garden rd heading towards forestlake at about 8am and then thought I was going to give way to him. You are a disgrace to every cyclist that does the right thing
Sadly there are way too many of these...giving us a bad name

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Assuming you drive a car, I put it to you that you are a bad driver, because of the hoon driver I saw last night. Of course it's totally crazy - but it's the same thing.
Aushiker wrote:
human909 wrote:
*Not paying rego?
*Riding in bunches?
*Talking while riding?

and the road toll would be zero, not :roll:

Andrew
I had to laugh at H909's reply. Mrs Thatcher would be proud of such great use of rhetoric.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:10 pm

And of course there are idiot cyclists out there. Though your definition may differ from mine. :wink:

However blaming the idiot cyclists for dangers on the road is not only pointless but counter productive. It is massively distracting from addressing the real issues that are killing cyclists every week.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:26 pm

[mod] This is a family friendly forum. Bad language is simply not acceptable. Masking it does not make it good language

Use more intelligent ways to present your communication[/mod]
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:13 pm

Aushiker wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Who has right of way, the pedestrian or the three cyclists? :twisted:
Neither. The term "Right of Way" as far as I can recall is only used in the WA Road Traffic Code 2000 in respect to giving way at traffic-control signals (regulation 45). It is a common misunderstanding of the road rules to refer to a "right of way." There is however obligation's to "give way" in the Road Traffic Code and the Road Traffic Act imposes obligations related to responsible driving (riding).

Andrew
And even there, without having a look, I think the term is limited to heading, not the actual content. Just to confuse.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:28 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:And even there, without having a look, I think the term is limited to heading, not the actual content. Just to confuse.
Good point. The regulation itself uses the phrase "give way."

Andrew

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:37 pm

human909 wrote:So what things are these bad eggs doing?
*Not paying rego?
*Riding in bunches?
*Talking while riding?

I LOVE IT! :mrgreen:

We often disagree, don't we? But in this I think you have very clearly demonstrated the futility of changing our actions for the express purpose of getting the haters onside. It doesn't matter, they will still hate.

There are good reasons to, for example, not run red lights. But getting idiots on side is not one of them. If you ride in groups for valid reasons, or claim the lane as you approach roundabouts, then contnue to do so. Not doing so will not endear you to the author of the rant in question. After all, y'all are so low as to take up a valuable seat at the coffee stop. :roll:

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:33 pm

I encountered Mr dopey cyclist who rides down the Delhi Rd North Ryde bike lane on the wrong side of the road when there is a bike lane on the otherside of the road for him to use. Both times I have encountered him, there was a bus stop for me to allow room, and this time he used a painted traffic island where there M2 merges onto Delhi. If I encounter him in the narrow section where there is not enough room to pass I will simply stop and unclip one foot and wait for him to take his bike out of my way.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:40 pm

Unsurprisingly almost all of the cyclists on my commute are pretty aware of their surroundings. Not for todays hero though, who rides onto the college st path & then does a head check - no danger as it happened, I was the closest rider about 20 m back He was adamant that he did look & doesn't care what I think. Sorry mate, video says no :roll:
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:56 am

this morning dumb cyclist was me!
turning right out of the land st tunnel onto the bicentennial bikeway looking left right into the sun I failed to see the cyclist coming towards me.
I immediately apologised.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:07 am

jasonc wrote:this morning dumb cyclist was me!
turning right out of the land st tunnel onto the bicentennial bikeway looking left right into the sun I failed to see the cyclist coming towards me.
It happens. :oops:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:We often disagree, don't we? But in this I think you have very clearly demonstrated the futility of changing our actions for the express purpose of getting the haters onside. It doesn't matter, they will still hate.
It was pretty well written. :) You ought to come down to Maccas at Prestons on Saturday morning, there are so many bicycles you wouldn't believe it. Unless of course the local little athletics is running registrations and then they take over the seating outside. It restores your faith in humanity. 8) And riding back, the deafening sound of rear hubs freewheeling. :D Isn't it wonderful. :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:42 am

I don't know about dumb cyclist - as g-boaf says, it happens, but it turns out you followed it up with 2 smart things - you recognised your own failing & 2 said sorry.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:47 am

I was surprised at the level of love for my previous comments. It is nothing I haven't said before. But like g-boat said, I guess having it well written helps. :wink:
g-boaf wrote:You ought to come down to Maccas at Prestons on Saturday morning, there are so many bicycles you wouldn't believe it.
I almost fell off my chair at this comment. But then I realised you were talking about Sydney. In Melbourne Preston Maccas is car central. On Friday & Saturday night the place is full of car hoons and car park fight. :roll:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:02 pm

find_bruce wrote:
I don't know about dumb cyclist - as g-boaf says, it happens, but it turns out you followed it up with 2 smart things - you recognised your own failing & 2 said sorry.
well we're all about getting into motorists who do the wrong thing. I try and learn from my mistakes. I still consider what I did to be dumb. If I couldn't see, I should have waited.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:15 pm

human909 wrote:I was surprised at the level of love for my previous comments. It is nothing I haven't said before. But like g-boat said, I guess having it well written helps. :wink:
g-boaf wrote:You ought to come down to Maccas at Prestons on Saturday morning, there are so many bicycles you wouldn't believe it.
I almost fell off my chair at this comment. But then I realised you were talking about Sydney. In Melbourne Preston Maccas is car central. On Friday & Saturday night the place is full of car hoons and car park fight. :roll:
Should have taken a photo of the Sydney one the other weekend. I've never seen so many bikes. :shock: Perhaps we should all invade the Melbourne one. :lol:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:39 pm

Maccas for Coffee?seriously?
I need to see pics of the rollup one morning. :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:53 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Maccas for Coffee?seriously?
I need to see pics of the rollup one morning. :?
Perhaps you'll bring along a portable coffee machine on the back of your bike next time. Then we can do better. :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:03 pm

Not likely, better drinker than barista :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Well I actually do my own coffee at home, have quite a serious coffee setup as a few here know already.

And Maccas coffee is getting better than it was. I've had worse from very fancy inner city cafés charging huge prices.

Anyhow - back on topic. ;)

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:04 pm

Riding up the PSP where it crosses the freeway south on-ramp and comes out at Aberdeen Street, I had three morons who had come over the crest on the bridge, then started to flog it down the hill. All good except for the part where they cut the corner and missed me (going slowly uphill) by a whisker. Why can't people just ride to the conditions :roll:

Then riding down Aberdeen Street I get to Lake Street, there's a few peds around and a car who all stop to give way. Except one dumb female pedestrian who starts crossing in front of me on the other side of the road. Fine, I thought, she's going to stop in the median and wait? Nope, looks straight at me then walks straight out in front of me, forcing me to slam on the brakes. A few choice words and I'm on my way again.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:48 pm

g-boaf wrote:
It happens. :oops:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:We often disagree, don't we? But in this I think you have very clearly demonstrated the futility of changing our actions for the express purpose of getting the haters onside. It doesn't matter, they will still hate.
It was pretty well written. :) You ought to come down to Maccas at Prestons on Saturday morning, there are so many bicycles you wouldn't believe it. Unless of course the local little athletics is running registrations and then they take over the seating outside. It restores your faith in humanity. 8) And riding back, the deafening sound of rear hubs freewheeling. :D Isn't it wonderful. :)
Prestons? I don;t know it.

As for the sound of freewheels, I have the m ost minimalist of fixies and so it is with regret that I have to keep pedalling all the time. :( I hate it when litle old ladies that I pass on a climb then just effortlessly cruise past on the down side. :oops: he coffee shops don't mind cyclists, just the ranting author who has failed to realise that the only reason many of them are there for her is because of the trade from the lycra crazies.