The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

WarbyD

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby WarbyD » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:05 pm

I ring the bell or call (although a yell isn't required.. just the same sort of voice projection I would use during a presentation) whenever I am passing multiple pedestrians or if I do not have space to pass with at least a metre or so between myself and the ped..

The majority of the time I get no response at all, but I think this is more to do with them not feeling any response is required than them not actually hearing it (I ride with headphones - I hear bells just fine.. I'm pretty sure the majority of pedestrians are using relatively cheap headphones without significant noise cancelling qualities so would also be able to hear just fine). Occasionally (maybe 30-40%?) I get a wave or "thank you" (especially when I offer a polite "passing on your right" rather than "ding ding").

The worst for the "Say What are they going to do?" are definitely (IME) the 2 (or more) abreast walkers/joggers.. I would say this is because they're mid conversation and I've surprised them, so they've reacted without thinking.. For this reason if I see walkers/joggers that look like they're possibly mid-conversation I'll give the bell a bit of a ding when I'm still a reasonable distance away so I can see how they react.. This is usually also followed as I get closer with a "passing on your right" just to remind them and make it clear exactly what I will be doing.

What bugs me as a cyclist much more than bell-ringing (or not) bothered me as a pedestrian.. is cyclists passing without any call.. It takes no effort, and makes things safer for everyone.

tekapo

The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby tekapo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:33 pm

Ringing the bell is not just for the ped that you are passing, it's also for the cyclist behind you as well as any oncoming cyclists whose lane you will be going into. Granted that you shouldn't over take if there is oncoming traffic.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Riding along on regular Friday bunch with about 25 or so riders doing high 30s km/h going along a flat dual carrigeway with plenty of vision and no other traffic except for us when this guy on a MTB (looked like a tradie dressed in hi-vis) was coming toward us in the outside of our lane (against the traffic flow). I was second wheel and the front guys in the bunch could see him several hundred metres away and I'm sure he saw us and was just playing chicken. We kept on hammering (nowhere for us to go unless we singled up) and he kept coming and we passed each other with only a few cm to spare. If one of the riders near the back of the bunch had wobbled out and clipped handlebars with him then there would of been carnage.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:04 pm

Regarding Jerry68's question/observations about bell ringing, I have 99% positive reaction when ringing my bell. I slow right down too, not quite to walking pace, but maybe 10-15km/h and move as far right (if ped is on left) and give a thank-you wave as I go past. If you blast past at 40km/h even though you have rung the bell you are bound to get a negative reaction. I always try to ring in plenty of time as a lot of peds want to turn around and see what is coming. Just one ding is usually enough. Multiple dings signifys (IMO) "get of the f*%$ path you f*%$ I'm coming f*%$ through".

Always have to be wary of small children both on and off their bikes. I find it best not to make eye contact with them as they tend to gravitate (wobble) toward you then. I look at them out of the corner of my eye with my hands covering the brakes ready for emergency stop or swerve and this seems to work most times.

Yelling I find confuses things as peds don't always hear or understand what is being yelled and sometimes when they do hear they misunderstand what action they need to perform eg "bike right" often ends up with the ped thinking they must move right, into the path of cyclist!

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:44 pm

I have similar reactions at times but I just always give a small toot on the bugle that came with the bike. You are wrong what ever you do, but that is the request of the guys that made the paths in my area.
If you did hit some one for whatever reason at least you did what the law required regardless of opinion.
If the peds look around sooner or later they will see these signs and maybe no overreact. :) I find a small toot does the job and if no reaction I do a bit louder signal. Maybe the noise of the horn is not a offensive but mostly I get a good reaction.

Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:35 pm

Ross wrote:Multiple dings signifys (IMO) "get of the f*%$ path you f*%$ I'm coming f*%$ through".
I've seen one guy on my commute that starts dinging about 100m back. He dings, dings, dings, DINGS constantly until he's past the pedestrian. Ringing your bell 30 times is a little excessive. Definitely a nominee for this thread.

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:45 pm

MisuVir wrote:
Ross wrote:Multiple dings signifys (IMO) "get of the f*%$ path you f*%$ I'm coming f*%$ through".
I've seen one guy on my commute that starts dinging about 100m back. He dings, dings, dings, DINGS constantly until he's past the pedestrian. Ringing your bell 30 times is a little excessive. Definitely a nominee for this thread.
Multiple dings just means you think the ped or cyclist is not paying attention.

Along the Yarra trail when there are rowers on the rivers, there are usually coaches riding and shouting out instructions. As you can imagine they are paying more attention to the boats than themselves, or where they are riding. There was a group of them last week, I dinged twice and begun to over take, then one of them swerved out to the right and closer to the river and started shout out instruction, I must have dinged like ten times to get her attention. Or when there are peds that are having a good ol chat. A single ding is not going to get their attention. I was even told off for not dinging by a woman who was having a good chat with her friend, even though her friend heard my three dings and shifted to the left.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:40 pm

WarbyD wrote:What bugs me as a cyclist much more than bell-ringing (or not) bothered me as a pedestrian.. is cyclists passing without any call.. It takes no effort, and makes things safer for everyone.
This.

A bloke actually dinged his bell to overtake me on the Fremantle PSP yesterday - he looked absolutely stunned when I said "thanks mate" as he rode past.

As my preference on the bell - I play it by ear depending on the situation. If I can see they are aware of me then no need to use it, or if I'm going pretty slow I won't necessarily use it either. Usually it's followed up with a "thank you" if peds go out of their way to move out of the way; not that it's what I want but I want to keep the goodwill...

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:18 am

Ross wrote:Riding along on regular Friday bunch with about 25 or so riders doing high 30s km/h going along a flat dual carrigeway with plenty of vision and no other traffic except for us when this guy on a MTB (looked like a tradie dressed in hi-vis) was coming toward us in the outside of our lane (against the traffic flow). I was second wheel and the front guys in the bunch could see him several hundred metres away and I'm sure he saw us and was just playing chicken. We kept on hammering (nowhere for us to go unless we singled up) and he kept coming and we passed each other with only a few cm to spare. If one of the riders near the back of the bunch had wobbled out and clipped handlebars with him then there would of been carnage.
Your lead riders see a dangerous situation developing from several hundred metres away. The solution is to keep on hammering inspite of the possibility of carnage for the riders at the back of the bunch. hhmmmmmm.........
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

herzog

Postby herzog » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:12 am

chuckchunder wrote:
Your lead riders see a dangerous situation developing from several hundred metres away. The solution is to keep on hammering inspite of the possibility of carnage for the riders at the back of the bunch. hhmmmmmm.........
I was thinking the same.

What's the saying? "Fools rush in..."

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:53 am

Glad I'm not the only one who picked up on that...
nowhere for us to go unless we singled up
And you couldn't single up because......?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:27 pm

Whether I am walking or riding I like a warning that a bike is about to overtake. We want cars to overtake at least a metre clear yet some cyclists are willing to overtake other cyclists with barely a cm clear without a warning.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:49 pm

Do most people yell passing or coming through etc as I rarely see a bell fitted to a road bike.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:53 pm

I like to hear a slight ringing as folks go past.
I saw a cyclist yell "Watch out" to a wayward ped and nearly frightened the ped into jumping into his way. The ped stuttered "where's your bell" and then the cyclist yelled "Expletive..... idiot."
I thought it was going to be on, and it was just a simple slow speed passing manoeuvre.

The thing is the ped was in another world and was really startled, he just didn't hear the bike coming along. My wife was following along with me and we were just as upset as the guys involved.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:25 pm

I run and walk on local shared paths as well as cycle and I quite like a little ding if someone is coming past at sufficient speed to surprise me - not that being surprised really is an issue - all local share trails have signs by the million instructing cyclists to ring and some ring non-stop - I'm selective if a wandering around group or a sole walker I'll ring - if trail busy and moving slow I just consider myself part of the mix

I try not to hate but the thing that really gets me is the two dog walkers chatting/two dogs using all the path combo - ring bell and one steps to left - other to right - dogs stay in middle - this is despite having walked past signs everyday that ask people to keep left :roll:

Jerry68

Postby Jerry68 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:49 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I really try and do the right thing whenever possible and I am a big believer in courtesy as pedestrians and motorists seem to hate us enough out there already!
Another point I forgot to mention is that at times the sheer volume of pedestrians on the PSP, (especially the Freeway paths), can make constant bell ringing impractical and in these circumstances one can argue that pedestrians should expect to be passed on a regular basis by bicycles on such a busy stretch. I guess it all boils down to time, place and circumstances.

Don't get me started on the whole 'keep left' thing with pedestrians. I know there are those who argue that it is perfectly fine for pedestrians to walk on the right side of the path so that, (as more vulnerable people), they can see faster moving traffic, such as cyclists approaching but I think it is just a lot safer and easier of everyone is moving in the same direction.

For example: riding under the My Henry Bridge once I approached two lovely, older ladies walking two abreast on the right hand side of the path. As I approached they smiled broadly and despite my annoyance I replied with a friendly greeting. I could see a cyclist approaching from behind them so I was forced to stop in their path. They were also forced to stop and were standing there wondering what I was waiting for. They then stepped out and around me, despite my warning, straight into the path of the unfortunate cyclist who was luckily able to stop and avoid them. My point is had they been walking on the left I would have proceeded on unimpeded and the oncoming cyclist would only have needed to slow down for several seconds whilst I passed and then been around them and on his way. Nice and easy and no confusion.

Jerry68

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:23 pm

Agree entirely that it is safer for everyone if all path users keep left

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

maestro

Postby maestro » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:38 pm

WarbyD wrote:Agree entirely that it is safer for everyone if all path users keep left
I'm not sure if it's specified in the legislation, but from the current NSW road users handbook, page 52 - under "Safety Tips For Pedestrians" it says "Keep to the left side on shared bicycle / pedestrian paths."

Although I believe that some confusion arises from the legislation requiring that pedestrians walk on the *right* hand side when walking on the road. That same page says "Pedestrians must use footpaths and nature strips where they are provided. Where this is impractical pedestrians must keep to the side of the road and walk in the direction that faces oncoming traffic."

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:07 pm

maestro wrote:That same page says "Pedestrians must use footpaths and nature strips where they are provided. Where this is impractical pedestrians must keep to the side of the road and walk in the direction that faces oncoming traffic."
I once encountered a gentleman jogging backwards on a shared path. I was unsure which side of the path he should have been on.

Since when is jogging backwards a thing?

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:12 pm

when you're an AFL umpire. My brother used to be one and they had to be pretty quick at going backwards as they had to have eyes on the ball at all times. Often they collided with players while everyone had eyes on the ball and toppled over backwards.

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Is it too much to ask for dogs to be on a leash?

I'm glad I wasn't going that fast as it's a boardwalk/shared area - I could have killed that dog.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:38 pm

wizardhat wrote:I'm glad I wasn't going that fast as it's a boardwalk/shared area - I could have killed that dog.
did you go back and finish the job?

btw - the video made it look quite quick

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:41 pm

It was 15 or so kmph. I stopped and checked the dog was okay and chewed out the owner.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:47 pm

I'm posting this not to vent about a dumb cyclist. But simply to share today's experience that left me a little shaken. I was driving my car today and almost collided with a cyclist at a decently high speed. I won't be forgetting this near miss in a hurry. :evil:

There was stopped traffic on my right and me rolling up at ~30kph up to the lights in the empty left hand lane. Lights go green so I accelerate, the front car of the queue 20m ahead is moving off a second or two passes....

Unbeknownst to me a silly cyclist is crossing the road and has weaved in-between the accelerating first car and second 4WD which has to wait. So now I'm at 40kph and see a cyclists a dozen metres ahead about to ride across the lane I am travelling. :shock: I slam on the brakes. Cyclists must have braked a little and swerved as he ended up crossing behind my car. I sat shaking my head for several moments in my car starring at the cyclist who continued on his merry way and only briefly glanced back.

This cyclists was riding a Surly Long Haul Trucker. Whoever you are I hope you avoid riding blindly into across roads in the future.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:37 pm

Lucky it didn't go in between your spokes. Would have cut the poor thing in half.