The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

richbee

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby richbee » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:21 am

jasonc wrote: The direction says he was coming home from coottha or a riverloop. It was less than 20 minutes after sunrise. I stand by him being in this thread
He may have just left home on Boundary Road and be heading to meet someone at Jindalee, one mustn't judge without knowing all the facts.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:58 pm

richbee wrote:
jasonc wrote: The direction says he was coming home from coottha or a riverloop. It was less than 20 minutes after sunrise. I stand by him being in this thread
He may have just left home on Boundary Road and be heading to meet someone at Jindalee, one mustn't judge without knowing all the facts.
not on strava flyby so i can't confirm

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:11 pm

g-boaf wrote:Thanks to the lady with the dog on the extenda-leash - allowing it to veer out into my path at last minute. Only quick braking, swerving and my low speed saved the dog.

Those kinds of leashes should be banned. :roll: At first it looks like you have miles of room, the last minute the damn thing veers right across your path. Grrr!
I was once with a small group of cyclists who came upon a dog and his owner. The dog was on one side of the road in a slightly elevated location and the owner on the other side of the road holding onto a super long lease. The end result was there was a difficult to see thin rope across the road at about handlebar height. Fortunately we saw it and stopped. We then communicated with the owner who simply didn't get it. I wonder what would of happened to the dog if a car had gone thru
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Hutcho

Postby Hutcho » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:35 pm

This happened to me once. Turned right into a road intersection and a lady was on one side of the road and her dog on the other side of the road with a leash in between (across 2 lanes). I emergency braked and she had the gall to have a go at me for not ringing my bell?

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:49 pm

Hutcho wrote:This happened to me once. Turned right into a road intersection and a lady was on one side of the road and her dog on the other side of the road with a leash in between (across 2 lanes). I emergency braked and she had the gall to have a go at me for not ringing my bell?
It's all starting to sound a bit like a scene in that old movie "A Fish Called Wanda" where Michael Palin is tasked to eliminate the old woman who is the only witness to a violent crime, but the dogs keep getting in the way... :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qguwpiDbMws

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:59 am

-removed-

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:11 pm

Here's a genius riding with no hands on the bars approaching a busy entrance to Centennial Park which often sees cars not stop at the sign. He had ear phones and was adjusting his iPod/mobile phone. :roll:

DG1984

Postby DG1984 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:19 pm

He is looking up at least...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:40 pm

DG1984 wrote:He is looking up at least...
Only briefly. As I passed and we were closer to the entrance he looked down at his iPod/mobile phone.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:18 pm

Share path was really bust this afternoon, beautiful day.

What looked like a mother daughter combo stepped across the share path to play handball from the exercise equipment area. Daughter, maybe 10yo, facing me, mother with back to me on the right hand side of the path. couple of bounces by them, few dings from the bell and slowing/braking from me followed by emergency braking as the mother stepped back to the left to either play the ball or get out of my way. Given her apologetic reaction I think she might have been playing the ball and got a fright when she heard/felt and bike skid to a near stop behind her. I couldn't be bothered stopping, there was no impact except for the flat spot on my tyre.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:37 pm

Guy on an e-bike crosses a major road (dual carrigeway, 3 lanes each way) aginst the red pedestrian light and nearly gets wiped out by a ute who's driver honked his horn. Rider then proceeds to abuse the ute driver and give him "the bird" several times. I was following the ute through this intersection (a few car lengths back) watching all this unfold. So I stopped and gave my POV to the rider that he was totally in the wrong and the ute driver had every right to honk his horn. His logic was he was doing the ute driver a favour not pressing the pedestrian button causing the ute to stop when the lights change to red. I suggested to him that the pedestrian light was red for a reason and that if he insisted on ignoring it then at least check for traffic before he crosses against it. I think the penny dropped in the end, hopefully he thinks before doing this again.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:41 am

Was watching the lights on the way home yesterday. It's a bit naughty, but I ride across the pedestrian crossing at the lights as the most convenient way to get from the sharepath to the opposite side of the road. Assumed the light cycle as one thing, almost rode out into two lanes of traffic that had just got the green. I'm sure the passenger of the closest car thought I was going to land in their lap.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Wouldn't call him a cyclist, just a dude on a bike who instead of keeping left decided to pull out across in front of me. Another reason why i stay off foot paths.

And an older gentlemen who dosnt bother to check traffic when crossing, surprisingly spritely when he realised and tried to jump out of the way. For the record i did brake and locked up.

Bourney

Postby Bourney » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:09 am

No video or anything, just an anecdotal story for you.

I didn't receive the memo about wearing high vis = being invincible.

Was riding along last night and got over taken (fair enough, nothing bad about that) on a down hill, which ends at a T-way.

So I wasn't going that fast, but old mate needed to get by and that's cool.

Should note that this T-way is 90% blind, so you can only check both directions within a few metres of the perpendicular road.

Anyway, old mate decides that he has done a fantastic overtake and to gracefully take the right hander without even so much as slowing down to see what might be coming his way.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on what you were hoping would happen) he made it through without issue, but it's quite a heavily used path, so there is no way in hell I'd ever steam in to the corner like that.. Though maybe that is because I wasn't wearing High vis?? Perhaps if I was, I too could just charge in to corners as I please..

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:13 pm

The two cyclists I passed this morning on the Boulevard in Kew. Gave them maybe 2m clearance; they were wide due to tack issues. Heading downhill from Studley Park Rd towards Walmer St. Basically rolled on at 55kmh or so. Old mates caught me at base before hairpin and wanted to know why I was speeding (it's a 50kmh limit.). I'd been watching them in RVM, and they weren't going mad, just enjoying the downhill, so I wondered aloud if the speed limit only applied to me as they actually caught me? This was taken badly, and old mates got vocal about it.

This was 20 minute after another pair had rolled to a stop behind me with a tack (I was stopped updating jobs). I happened to have the floor pump with me, which I offered and was taken.

As a driver of an older ute on the Boulie, you can't win :? :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:52 pm

The lady walking her dog on saturday. One, she was on the wrong side of the cycle way, and two, she let her dog veer across into my path.

I ended up having to swerve off the cycleway to miss the dog.

thecraig

Postby thecraig » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:03 am

Straight through a stop sign.

I was actually going really slowly for some reason but had I been doing the speed limit it would have been much, much closer.

The worrying thing about this video is that he had what looked like a child seat in the front.....

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:21 pm

The young (teenage) girl that was riding towards me on the Parry Avenue path in Bateman yesterday. She was riding in my direction parallel with another girl, had her hands off the handlebars and was about a foot from the curb. I was about driving twenty metres from her when her bike did a little unintentional veer to the left. RIGHT OFF THE CURB AND ONTO THE ROAD!!! It is an arterial road with skinny lanes between curbs and island. About a foot either side of a car like my Landcrusier.

Any members here that habitually blame the motorists with the logic that a collision between a car and a cylist is ALWAYS unarguably the fault of poor driving don't bother trying to convince me. There are situations that are impossible to defend against short of never leaving the house and this was one of them.

In the meantime, a dumb cyclist award goes to the lucky girl.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:14 pm

It's all about riding to conditions.

Cheers,

Cameron

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:39 pm

The guy who filtered to the front of the queue on Lennox St Richmond at Bridge Rd only to hold up the line of traffic while you try to turn right. If it was a dedicated turn lane it would be different, but that direction only has 1 lane for straight and right. If they're a local they'd also know that its rare to get through until the lights change anyway, so a hook-turn only loses you a few seconds.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:32 pm

BenGr wrote:The guy who filtered to the front of the queue on Lennox St Richmond at Bridge Rd only to hold up the line of traffic while you try to turn right. If it was a dedicated turn lane it would be different, but that direction only has 1 lane for straight and right. If they're a local they'd also know that its rare to get through until the lights change anyway, so a hook-turn only loses you a few seconds.
I don't like hook turns as it puts me in front of just another pack of cars that see me as an obstacle. If a car is allowed to stop all the traffic dead doing a right turn, why not a bike?
Mind you it can be like a shag on a rock out there......just saying. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:57 pm

outnabike wrote:
BenGr wrote:The guy who filtered to the front of the queue on Lennox St Richmond at Bridge Rd only to hold up the line of traffic while you try to turn right. If it was a dedicated turn lane it would be different, but that direction only has 1 lane for straight and right. If they're a local they'd also know that its rare to get through until the lights change anyway, so a hook-turn only loses you a few seconds.
I don't like hook turns as it puts me in front of just another pack of cars that see me as an obstacle. If a car is allowed to stop all the traffic dead doing a right turn, why not a bike?
Mind you it can be like a shag on a rock out there......just saying. :)
The guy filtered to the front of a cue of cars going straight...

I've never received agro for doing a hook turn, anyone who does have an issue is likely to have an issue as long as you're on the road.

Mozz

Postby Mozz » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:53 pm

Location - QUT Gardens Point Campus at the bottom of the Goodwill Bridge
When - 4.30pm Friday 14.10.2016 pretty much peak hour for cyclists and pedestrians
Young bloke late teens jogging into the maelstrom where the bridge ends and the cycle/pedestrian paths finish and then start again with all the commuters, uni students, tourists and general others converge ..... and he was jogging looking down at his phone for a good 10 seconds right towards me as I keep trying to stay left of him ... a loud yell from me distracted him enough to look up and realise he was about to jog into me on my bike... crisis averted... another millennial lives another day ... next time maybe not...

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:43 pm

I see so much of this and it pi$$es me off so much that I prefer (and feel safer) to ride in peak-hour traffic rather than ride on paths

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/im-a-c ... s1i5d.html

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... way-288723

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:10 pm

That second one... the guy shouldn't have moved out without checking it was clear but the other cyclist was taking a big risk passing him so closely with oncoming cyclists approaching.