The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Robinho

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Robinho » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:46 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Robinho wrote:Good avoidance by both cyclists, not sure old mate deserved to be dodged though
Of course he did and and I'm shocked anybody would even suggest it.
Hitting a muppet that size would likely break the bike...
Fair point

Specialized29er

Postby Specialized29er » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:41 am

I'm riding along and at about 10ks and nearly in the gutter when a person in a car turned left right in front of me to access her drive way. Its 3pm and I had a reflective backpack on and she said oh sorry I didn't see you. Then I said ok but I'll have to call the police because you've broken my little finger. It turned out she was sightly over the limit which made me laugh all the way to the hospital.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:35 am

Specialized29er wrote:I'm riding along and at about 10ks and nearly in the gutter when a person in a car turned left right in front of me to access her drive way. Its 3pm and I had a reflective backpack on and she said oh sorry I didn't see you. Then I said ok but I'll have to call the police because you've broken my little finger. It turned out she was sightly over the limit which made me laugh all the way to the hospital.
Her being over the limit is that going to affect her ability to have her insurance pay for any damages claim you may have :?:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:17 pm

Me this morning. Jogging along the shared path, heading over a small wooden slat bridge near the Collingwood Children's Farm. I wasn't watching the slat height and dragged my foot a bit too low in my stride and stubbed it on the higher slat. Fell forwards and I was watching myself about to hit the deck and the arms were going out to break the fall. Luckily my reaction was to grab the railing on the left so I did an aborted duck dive, scraped some of the paint work off the railing under my fingernail and got my leg underneath me somehow so I didn't splat face first into the ground. That is the second time I've almost fallen on that slat bridge.

I don't think anyone except the jogger behind me saw and he was polite enough not to mention it as he passed me about 40 metres further along. :P

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:57 pm

Summernight they did a test on peds on stairs, they made one step only 10 mm higher, and 90 % of peds tripped up.
Our eyes don't like a constant level with an up stand in the middle. Glad you were ok. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:59 pm

2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:40 pm

i wonder how many compensation claims have been paid out for injuries caused by that....
it is negligent on the builders behalf as i am sure the original spec didnt have that mistep..
injury lawyers for you - no win no fee anybody?
2015 Giant Cross City 0

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:35 pm

Spotted a very special salmon cyclist today

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:56 pm

nezumi wrote:44807536
I feel better now. :P

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:57 pm

Summernight wrote:I feel better now. :P
Happy to have helped :D
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:52 pm

Oops wrong forum...as you were chaps....

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:16 am

Summernight wrote:
I feel better now. :P
Fun/boring fact for the day. It is amazing how specific and precise you need to be when designing a stairway in order to avoid this sort of thing. Here is what we need to work with for walkways in Australia:

("Rise" being step height and "going" being the step depth
All rises and all goings, in the same flight of stairs shall be of uniform dimensions within a tolerance of
±5 mm.
(b) Each rise shall be not less than 150 mm and not greater than 215 mm.
(c) Each going shall be not less than 215 mm and not greater than 305 mm.
(d) The product of the going, measured in millimetres, and the rise, measured in millimetres, shall be not less
than 45 000 and not greater than 48 000.

(e) The tread width shall be not less than the going and there shall be a minimum overlap of 10 mm (see
Figure 4.2)

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:39 am

The builder must of been drunk that day, you can notice it from a mile away.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:36 am

sunrise in brisbane this morning: 5:43am
amount of bikes seen with no lights before that time: lost count

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:38 am

I had an 'edu-ma-cated' Melbourne pedestrian last night. I'm approaching on the downhill of Albert Street and I see a lady walking in the middle of the green painted separated bike lane (less than two metres away is the footpath). She continues to meander down the bike path so her walking there is deliberate. I decided to slow down (because I couldn't pass in the bike lane as she was filling the whole thing) and tap her on her shoulder as I come alongside. She's on her mobile phone (of course she is!). I've come to an almost stop and am just about to tap her on her shoulder when she steps a bit right (closer to the road) and makes enough room for me to come alongside her. So I do and I say "Might not want to walk there."

Her response... "PISS OOORRRRRFFFF" and she keeps talking on her phone. It went something like "chatter, chatter chatter.. PISS ORRRFFFF chatter chatter chatter".

I just shook my head and rode away saying over my shoulder something like 'Fine, if you want to get hit, then keep doing what you're doing."

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:50 am

When I was wandering around Melbourne streets last weekend, I saw a few people walking in those lanes. I don't think that a lot of them had any idea what they were for. We accidentally ended up in one after getting off a tram and walking too far towards the intersection before crossing. I looked down and there was green paint beneath my feet, so I grabbed my wife and said "quick we'd better get out of here before we end up in the dumb peds thread" :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Waccofozzy

Postby Waccofozzy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:54 pm

jasonc wrote:sunrise in brisbane this morning: 5:43am
But they can see you OK because you're lit up. What's your problem :)
I have OFS - Old, Fat and Slow

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:04 pm

Summernight wrote:I had an 'edu-ma-cated' Melbourne pedestrian last night. I'm approaching on the downhill of Albert Street and I see a lady walking in the middle of the green painted separated bike lane (less than two metres away is the footpath). She continues to meander down the bike path so her walking there is deliberate. I decided to slow down (because I couldn't pass in the bike lane as she was filling the whole thing) and tap her on her shoulder as I come alongside. She's on her mobile phone (of course she is!). I've come to an almost stop and am just about to tap her on her shoulder when she steps a bit right (closer to the road) and makes enough room for me to come alongside her. So I do and I say "Might not want to walk there."

Her response... "PISS OOORRRRRFFFF" and she keeps talking on her phone. It went something like "chatter, chatter chatter.. PISS ORRRFFFF chatter chatter chatter".

I just shook my head and rode away saying over my shoulder something like 'Fine, if you want to get hit, then keep doing what you're doing."
Morons like this need a smack across the head not a tap on the shoulder. :lol: Obviously we can't do this so perhaps some late braking and using her as a bike storage rack.
Last edited by biker jk on Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:05 pm

Waccofozzy wrote:
I can't see them!

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:24 pm

jasonc wrote:
Waccofozzy wrote:
I can't see them!
What you can't see can't hurt you... :?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:38 pm

i'm riding on a narrow shared path (Merri Ck trail) when I spot an ear-plugged pedestrian trailing a dog that veers across the path of an oncoming child cyclist. they narrowly miss each other, the child continues on unperturbed and the pedestrian doesn't even acknowledge. time for bike cop jules to spring into action. i politely ask her if that was her dog, she confirms it is, and I point out that it nearly took out the child cyclist and that she should really leash it. then i crash, at walking speed, into the adjacent brick wall. she laughs and says 'that wasn't my fault', i agree and ride on. i'm unsure if she was laughing with or at me. she did move to call her dog though - i assume to leash it.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:30 pm

jules21 wrote:...then i crash, at walking speed, into the adjacent brick wall. she laughs and says 'that wasn't my fault', i agree and ride on. i'm unsure if she was laughing with or at me. she did move to call her dog though - i assume to leash it.
That part is gold. Bike cop Jules: Pretty sure she was laughing at you. I'm sniggering now after reading it. :P

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:04 pm

jasonc wrote:
Waccofozzy wrote:
I can't see them!
How did you know they were there then?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:31 pm

Was out a bit later than usual this morning and copped the following trifecta of dumb cyclists on the bicycle only path on the South Perth foreshore.

First rider, who I will call Gary.
I had come up behind an older couple and was hanging back on the approach to Ellam St due to the blind corner and road crossing. Gary overtook all 3 riders in the face of an on-coming bike. No call was given and Gary entered the road crossing on the wrong side of the road. I think I may have heard a cry of STRAVA!!! as Gary rode off into the distance.

Second, was one of a pair of female riders who commented on me failing to give way to my right when I was riding along Coode St and they were on the bike path. Protip: Only vehicles at a give-way sign (i.e. you) have to give way, vehicles continuing down the road without any yield signage have right of way.

Third, was a middle-aged bloke on a mountain bike.
I had back tracked slightly and was now going to cross Coode St on the bike only path. I had only just got started and clipped in and was moving slowly up to the give-way line due to a car towing a trailer coming down Coode St when the bloke overtook me without a call at the road crossing and then grabbed a handful of brake in order to avoid going into the side of the trailer.

Maybe he though the trailer should have given way to the right like the ladies thought.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:55 pm

The South Perth path is a magnet for the less experienced rider. So there is plenty of unpredictable and erroneous behaviour, plenty of it on show this morning Scott!