The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Lukeyboy

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:54 am

And then came along some tea drinking lorry mechanic :P

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:01 pm

Came across 2 dumb cyclists on my commute the other day - DC1 stood up to put the hammer down & then suddenly stopped without warning. DC2 assumed DC1 was going to continue riding & so was completely unprepared for the emergency stop. Disc brakes & good grip on the tyres so rear wheel in the air, doing a stoppy, just managed to avoid getting up close & personal. Worst of all DC2 was riding my bike
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Creakyknees

Postby Creakyknees » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:57 pm

I just saw a crazy thing today,
A group of 5 or so riders in matching Anaconda (the camping store) kit who, while turning left, blasted though a give way sign onto Labouchere Rd in South Perth and turned wide into the far right lane, where they then moved back to the left lane at speed. This is a crazy busy road during the day, full of tourists on the way to South Perth foreshore and the Perth Zoo.

Not to one of them slowed down to check if there were any cars coming (there were, and one had to throw out the anchors very quickly). This could have ended very badly...for once it was the drivers who were on the ball.

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:04 pm

http://youtu.be/yzelH943JYA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:18 pm

A statistic waiting to happen. :shock:

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:33 am

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/digital ... zqrkz.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:39 am

Dumb cyclist but I felt sorry for him. Commuter had a flat but no spare tube or patch kit. The bike shops nearby don't open for another few hours so his only option was a taxi to the CBD. Hopefully lesson learnt. BTW. I was a pedestrian so couldn't offer a tube.

phineas

The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby phineas » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:59 am

This morning. Dumb cyclist with a death wish!

New England Highway, peak hour.

Two lanes, ok shoulder on the left, guy riding his bike on the far right of the right lane!

No turn he could've need to make for quite awhile, so can't understand why on earth he would wedge himself in between trucks with nowhere to go, and a built-up median strip.

A car slowly coming up behind him gave a few warning beeps with the horn - less of a "get out of my way" beep and more of a "what are you doing - you're going to get yourself killed" sort of beep.

He stops, gets onto the median strip, car slowly passes him, and he starts screaming at the car "get back here!!!"

It was all quite scary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:28 pm

Sounds like he may have been substance affected.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:07 pm

Salmon cyclist Friday night in the bike lane heading in the opposite direction to me in my lane. I pointed out to him that there was a bike lane on the other side of the street going in his direction. He gave me the thumbs up that he'd understood so I gave him the thumbs up back. Ah well.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Riding home from the city and whilst making my around the top end of Dockside (O'Connell St) turn the corner and a ped is standing smack bang in the middle of the road, a good 1.5m from a parked car, busy twiddling away on his smartphone - transcript goes like this as i go past;

me: Not a terrribly bright place to stand in the middle of the road, so you're not worried about being run over?
ped: Why don't you just look where you are going
me: It's only because i do look where i'm going and i have lights, that i'm able to barely miss you standing in the middle of the road.
ped: why don't you knasd;flgnsdklnhf'klszdnhdjf'kl;sghdkfnghdf...

:roll: I'm so going to just grab their phone and smash the crap out of it next time i see stuff like this. Some people don't deserve nice things.

wexford

Postby wexford » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:47 am

I encountered a classic on the commute home from work yesterday.

Eastbound on the PSP approaching Windan Bridge (Perth) came along a bloke riding two bikes with one hand between them. His left hand was holding a phone to his head, and his right hand was somehow steering TWO bikes, the one he was riding and another alongside.

I wish I had skills like that - I'm bad enough using two hands! The only reason I label him as a Dumb Cyclist is that he was doing all of this without a helmet.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:04 am

Hmmmmm Wexford.. I think your priorities might be a little screwed when at best marginal control of a vehicle is not an issue but some level of protection when it goes pear shaped is. Soon we will be calling people dumb motorists... not for running red lights but for not doing it in a 4WD with 11 air bags.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:22 am

wexford wrote:Eastbound on the PSP approaching Windan Bridge (Perth) came along a bloke riding two bikes with one hand between them. His left hand was holding a phone to his head, and his right hand was somehow steering TWO bikes, the one he was riding and another alongside.

I wish I had skills like that - I'm bad enough using two hands! The only reason I label him as a Dumb Cyclist is that he was doing all of this without a helmet.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I wish I had skills like that. I consider myself pretty good and have done the two bike thing on half a dozen occasions. However to be on the phone at the same time! Wow! Meh, to riding without a helmet but a quite reckless to be doing all that on a PSP with other people around. When I've ridden with two bikes it is on full lanes on the back streets with little traffic.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:32 am

Crazy cyclist on my commute this morning. During peak hour, at every on-ramp, with cars trying to merge with 80km/h traffic, the hand came out and they forced drivers to slow/stop. Fair enough when there's no end to the stream of cars on the on-ramp and they're barely moving, but I was about 10-15m behind and barely had to slow to find a safe gap to cross.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:37 am

Not so much dumb as inconsiderate (potentially?) was myself yesterday.. Riding southbound on the Kwinana freeway PSP, had a cyclist in blue/white kit say .. something .. as he passed me. Clearly directed at me, and clearly not happy about something.. But kind of pointless when I'm completely unable to catch any of what's being said since we're both in motion. I had a bit of a look/think to see what his problem may have been, and all I could come up with was that it appeared I had knocked my SSX2 light up a little higher than usual at some stage, so perhaps he was complaining about that?

It was still daylight and the light was on low, so certainly not going to cause any major issues, but hey - If that was you, and that was the problem - Sorry about that! If that wasn't the problem then... *shrugs*

On another note.. If trying to complain at a cyclist travelling in the opposite direction to yourself, I would strongly suggest you keep your complaint very succinct... Or stop before you reach the person you intend on complaining to and ask that they do the same, so you can actually pass on the full message?

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:37 am

The moron on the mountain bike wearing the red t'shirt - straight through a red light on Ann Street crossing Kemp Place Brisbane at 6:48 AM this morning. The moron then wonders why a car turning left into Ann Street off Kemp Place nearly cleans him up.....
OI onya bike!!!

li2099

Postby li2099 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:51 am

Gordonhooker wrote:The moron on the mountain bike wearing the red t'shirt - straight through a red light on Ann Street crossing Kemp Place Brisbane at 6:48 AM this morning. The moron then wonders why a car turning left into Ann Street off Kemp Place nearly cleans him up.....
geez we have those types in my riding group.
They run a red then stops on the other side of the traffic, turns around and wonders why the rest of the group is still waiting for the lights.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:23 am

Gordonhooker wrote:The moron on the mountain bike wearing the red t'shirt - straight through a red light on Ann Street crossing Kemp Place Brisbane at 6:48 AM this morning. The moron then wonders why a car turning left into Ann Street off Kemp Place nearly cleans him up.....
Wow, I thought I saw a topic here yesterday from a MTB rider accusing road-bike riders of this. Never knew MTB riders did it too. ;) If I used my camera I'd get lots of videos of people running red lights.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:09 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wow, I thought I saw a topic here yesterday from a MTB rider accusing road-bike riders of this. Never knew MTB riders did it too. ;) If I used my camera I'd get lots of videos of people running red lights.
It was probably the clown the ran the red light this morning :)
OI onya bike!!!

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:50 pm

wexford wrote:I encountered a classic on the commute home from work yesterday.

Eastbound on the PSP approaching Windan Bridge (Perth) came along a bloke riding two bikes with one hand between them. His left hand was holding a phone to his head, and his right hand was somehow steering TWO bikes, the one he was riding and another alongside.

did he have a moustache / big piercings in his ears?

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:18 am

Me yesterday afternoon approaching a multi lane roundabout on a bike lane to the left of the traffic lane. On this particular roundabout I exit to the right, meaning I have to either cross the traffic lane to do so, or stay in the bike lane on the outer rim of the roundabout, giving way to cars exiting and entering on the road before my turn. As a result when I can I try to enter the roundabout with momentum to make merging/ turning right with the traffic easier. I can see two cars entering the roundabout to my right take off slowly, giving me the idea I can make the gap in front of them and avoid any conflict with traffic headed in my direction. Nice idea in theory, however when the car in the inner lane decides to channel their inner Ayrton Senna, I'm quickly abandoning that idea and hitting the anchors in a hurry. No front wheel stand, although I did lock the rear. Things might've been a bit more interesting if the road was wet!
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:22 pm

"And there's Senna. Senna spinning. Spin spin spin. Round round round he goes" - Murray Walker, Adelaide Grand Prix 1989. Dat 900 degree spin into the final corner at the Adelaide GP. Damnnnn that was 24 year ago now :(

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:"And there's Senna. Senna spinning. Spin spin spin. Round round round he goes" - Murray Walker, Adelaide Grand Prix 1989. Dat 900 degree spin into the final corner at the Adelaide GP. Damnnnn that was 24 year ago now :(
were you even born?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:51 pm

Not yet. A few months before my time :P