The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

il padrone

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:25 pm

jules21 wrote:
this guy went off-tap when i rode around him, while he crossed in front of me. he kept insisting i should have warned him by sounding my bell. i couldn't believe this and had to watch the video later to see if it was worse than i thought it was at the time, but i don't think so.
Take the video to the local police and get him done for jay-walking :P
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

zero

Postby zero » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:35 pm

csy75 wrote:this rider insisted on riding in the middle of 3 lanes for about 2-3 km even before i filmed this in peak hour.

I spotted him well back in the middle lane 3 minutes before this. not safe riding, i always take the safer descent on parriwi road. i always capture more on my moto than the bicycle even though i film on both, why is that?

http://youtu.be/qFAe2cqlDzQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is perfectly safe riding. He is entitled to use which ever lane he chooses, he is travelling at the traffic speed (and the speed limit which the camera rider is not), and if he intended using the right turn bay at the bottom of the hill, then he logically should move over to the middle lane so that he can make the merge into the right lane in good time and at a similar speed to the surround traffic.

Seriously motorists of all types need to get over it. Cyclists need to and are allowed to use the middle and right hand lanes on roads with speed limits of less than 80.

Also you were speeding, and as I've ridden that section often enough, it is more than safe, and even a mountain bike will be rolling at 40+ for some time on the approach, and 60 on the descent.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:52 pm

zero wrote:That is perfectly safe riding. He is entitled to use which ever lane he chooses, he is travelling at the traffic speed (and the speed limit which the camera rider is not), and if he intended using the right turn bay at the bottom of the hill, then he logically should move over to the middle lane so that he can make the merge into the right lane in good time and at a similar speed to the surround traffic.
+1

Yeah but motorcyclists don't speed !

:P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mandatory helmet law?

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:19 pm

I had a slightly unkempt bogan ride across the pedestrian crossing I was stopped at this morning trying to carry a medium sized suitcase under his arm. It seemed to be rather heavy and was slipping down as he crossed the road. It was on wheels so it would have probably been easier and safer to extend the handle and pull it along behind the bike.

csy75

Postby csy75 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:46 am

zero wrote:
csy75 wrote:this rider insisted on riding in the middle of 3 lanes for about 2-3 km even before i filmed this in peak hour.

I spotted him well back in the middle lane 3 minutes before this. not safe riding, i always take the safer descent on parriwi road. i always capture more on my moto than the bicycle even though i film on both, why is that?

That is perfectly safe riding. He is entitled to use which ever lane he chooses, he is travelling at the traffic speed (and the speed limit which the camera rider is not), and if he intended using the right turn bay at the bottom of the hill, then he logically should move over to the middle lane so that he can make the merge into the right lane in good time and at a similar speed to the surround traffic.

Seriously motorists of all types need to get over it. Cyclists need to and are allowed to use the middle and right hand lanes on roads with speed limits of less than 80.

Also you were speeding, and as I've ridden that section often enough, it is more than safe, and even a mountain bike will be rolling at 40+ for some time on the approach, and 60 on the descent.
you and i definitely have different ideas of safe/defensive riding then. he kept going in the middle then merged back into the left lane.

as i said, i understand why he did it ( to avoid anyone turning left at the bottom of the hill or at bus stop ), it's legal but not sensible.

if you've ridden that road like you claim then you know how fast all that traffic is moving.

if someone didn't see him and he had to emergency brake, then i fail to see how in the middle of 3 lanes he can do so safely. maybe you ride a lot better than me. :roll:

as i said, parriwi road next to it is much safer and my preferred option, why take unnecessary chances.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:06 am

fatdudeonabike wrote:Driving up a busy 2 lane road in Canberra (Gungahlin Drive for locals) this afternoon... the road should be 3 lanes, and the 2 lanes they have aren't wide enough. ...
Which part of GD? The only narrow bit I can think of is the section at the first lights in Mitchell when heading North, but the morons in charge have FINALLY provided a slip lane up to the shared pathway when the on-road lane ends. Although getting back onto the road on the other side of the lights to get to the on-road lane that starts after the lights that easy.

No - cyclists don't have to use the shared pathway, but they *do* have to use an on-road lane if provided, unless "impractical", ie. you cut across lanes to turn at an intersection.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:21 am

twizzle wrote:...but they *do* have to use an on-road lane if provided, unless "impractical", ie. you cut across lanes to turn at an intersection.
Or, as is the usual case, they are full of carp swept off the car lanes. I came across a large bolt and three wheel weights in the space of 600m on Menzies Drive yesterday. Stopped and kicked 'em all to the gutter.
Rang the council to whinge when I got home, should be done by Christmas :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

zero

Postby zero » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:55 am

csy75 wrote:
zero wrote:

you and i definitely have different ideas of safe/defensive riding then. he kept going in the middle then merged back into the left lane.

as i said, i understand why he did it ( to avoid anyone turning left at the bottom of the hill or at bus stop ), it's legal but not sensible.

if you've ridden that road like you claim then you know how fast all that traffic is moving.
same speed as the bicycle, just not same speed as the speeding motorcycle.

if someone didn't see him and he had to emergency brake, then i fail to see how in the middle of 3 lanes he can do so safely. maybe you ride a lot better than me. :roll:
ah someone might not see you. your visibility is in the same magnitude as his. The buses are in the outer lane, vehicles in his lane are generally smaller.

as i said, parriwi road next to it is much safer and my preferred option, why take unnecessary chances.
Parrawi Rd doesn't have a cross intersection at the top. You can't tell me that any legal method of getting there is safer than just continuing to ride along spit rd. Also whatever I do to get to that side of the road will far more seriously interfere with traffic flow than just riding along spit rd. Amusingly after shaking your head at a bicycle riding in the middle lane, you just used the same sized vehicle to do exactly the same thing at the same speed, 20m ahead of it, and you make the most dangerous of the moves (outside lane to middle lane), more often than the cyclist does.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 am

Mulger bill wrote:
twizzle wrote:...but they *do* have to use an on-road lane if provided, unless "impractical", ie. you cut across lanes to turn at an intersection.
Or, as is the usual case, they are full of carp swept off the car lanes. I came across a large bolt and three wheel weights in the space of 600m on Menzies Drive yesterday. Stopped and kicked 'em all to the gutter.
Before christmas a large plate glass window fell onto the road at an intersection. Still there today. Just broken into small bits (still some large parts) pushed into the pedestrian strip in the median, 20-25m spread out, on top of the median, slowly making its way across into the opposite lanes and now small bits are in the bike lane as my light lit them all up last night. Its a bloody busy intersection too. Yet there's been 2 or 3 street clearners go down my quiet little street in both directions this year. Must be voting time or something :lol:

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:06 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Before christmas a large plate glass window fell onto the road at an intersection. Still there today. Just broken into small bits (still some large parts) pushed into the pedestrian strip in the median, 20-25m spread out, on top of the median, slowly making its way across into the opposite lanes and now small bits are in the bike lane as my light lit them all up last night. Its a bloody busy intersection too. Yet there's been 2 or 3 street clearners go down my quiet little street in both directions this year. Must be voting time or something :lol:
LukeyBoy - if within BCC boundaries - log it here - https://sde.brisbane.qld.gov.au/service ... aintenance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 am

Pretty sure I did on the 3rd or the 4th after I came across it. I'll send it again just incase it was an error on my end. The intersection is Sandgate Road as you turn into Nundah Village.
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:34 am

Kenzo wrote:LukeyBoy - if within BCC boundaries - log it here - https://sde.brisbane.qld.gov.au/service ... aintenance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
+1 - have called up about one before and it was cleaned up that day.

csy75

Postby csy75 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:34 pm

zero wrote: Parrawi Rd doesn't have a cross intersection at the top. You can't tell me that any legal method of getting there is safer than just continuing to ride along spit rd. Also whatever I do to get to that side of the road will far more seriously interfere with traffic flow than just riding along spit rd. Amusingly after shaking your head at a bicycle riding in the middle lane, you just used the same sized vehicle to do exactly the same thing at the same speed, 20m ahead of it, and you make the most dangerous of the moves (outside lane to middle lane), more often than the cyclist does.
zero, i commute from manly to the city every day either by bike or moto. i cycle off the main road both ways.

it's a decision i make to stay safer. I come to parriwi downill from the back streets of mosman via moruben road so yes, there is a crossing directly to it.

please don't confuse a motorcycle with superior handling/tyres/brakes etc with a cyclist doing 70 km/h downhill in the middle of a 3 lane road in peak hour. a motorcycle is not the same vehicle as a bicycle.

my post and head shaking is because the guy is braver than me ( some might say foolhardy ).

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:17 pm

jules21 wrote: he crossed in front of me. he kept insisting i should have warned him by sounding my bell. i don't think so.
You should have asked him if he needed you to remind him to wipe after potty as well. I would have AZ'd him as well if the angle was any sharper. I wouldn't bother warning him, I'd just avoid. Screaming RIDAAH is a useful preemptive move as well. Scares the pus out of them.

Be comforted that the bloke will realise that any collision will ruin his suit and that he has no right of way as well. Humans tend to only respond to brownpants moments, this will be one of them.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:25 pm

Mulger bill wrote: Or, as is the usual case, they are full of carp swept off the car lanes. I came across a large bolt and three wheel weights in the space of 600m on Menzies Drive yesterday. Stopped and kicked 'em all to the gutter.
I'm in Melbourne and the street sweeper regularly (or seems to anyway. :P) does the Albert Street, East Melbourne green bicycle lane (at least... it does the sweep going down the hill towards Hoddle Street, I don't know about up the hill towards the city as the leaves seem to still be there the next day). Of course, I've also seen some glass on the road in another part of my commute that hasn't been fixed up for at least a week.

The only problem with the sweeper is that I've seen it going at its normal speed in the cycle lane, and without slowing down an iota, hit the springy poles that supposedly separate the car lane from the bike lane (which absolutely do not work as taxis and cars have plenty of room between each pole to park IN the bicycle lane instead of in their designated parks) and then said springy poles have slapped the side of a parked car with considerable force. I believe it left a dent in the car's side panel (I was walking into the city at the time I saw this happen). The car was parked in a designated car park with plenty of space between it and the green bicycle lane so wasn't doing anything wrong.

Anyway, back on topic:

My dumb cyclist story is a man who I believe may be a regular rider (not on this forum, of course) as this is the second time this week I've seen him do this (and I only travel that particular route twice a week). He rides down Coppin Street towards Swan Street, Richmond from Bridge Road at about 7:55AM in the mornings... In the designated bicycle lane... On the wrong side of the road riding into the traffic. :roll:

Now this wasn't the end of it. He gets to Swan Street and then slows to a stop and turns right (not cutting across any lanes of traffic as he is already on the wrong side of the road) and then stops at the traffic lights (but still on the road, even though he could have hopped onto the footpath near the tram stop). So I'm thinking 'okay, he'll now take the pedestrian crossing to cross the road or the footpath and get off the road'.

No.

Instead he then proceeds to ride the wrong way down Swan Street (towards the city) on the road into traffic WITHOUT a bicycle lane. Since I was waiting at the lights going across Swan Street on Coppin towards Bridge I had a quick look as I crossed the intersection and I could see him bumbling his way on the wrong side of the road beside the parked cars up Swan Street.

I'm not sure whether to report him to the Richmond police so they can have a word with him or not... Especially if he does it every day at the same time.

For anyone interested in the intersection: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=Co ... 53,,0,0.31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He was travelling on the left of the view near the brownish building.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:25 pm

Xplora wrote: and that he has no right of way as well.
You do, legally, have a duty to avoid a collision however. Incumbent upon all of us.
Mandatory helmet law?

malnar

Postby malnar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:46 pm

g-boaf wrote:
malnar wrote:Riding on a shared path in a designated off-lead area, got bitten by a dog this morning (the dumb party is the owner). After it bit me it continued to chase me for a good 500m. Got footage of the dog on rear-facing video.

One 2mm deep puncture wound on my calf. Got a tetanus shot & antibiotics this morning...
Go after them not only for costs, but a dog like that is a menace. As much as I hate the thought of an animal being euthanased, you do wonder what it might have done had you been stationary or went down and were enable to get away. :shock: This is also quite a lot of the owner's fault too for not training their dog properly or restraining it. :roll: Hope you recover okay from the bite.
Update: Riding home yesterday in the same location I see the same dogs (I'm almost certain they are pit bulls) chasing a cyclist riding in the opposite direction! They stopped the chase when they saw me. I stop to talk to the owners. I overhear the male saying to a female 'they were following a bike rider yesterday....' so I say 'Yeah, that was me and I got bitten'. I said he owes me money for antibiotics. He asked to see the bite. When he saw it he said he'll happily reimburse me if I go to his place to get the cash. We were conversing about the rules re off lead areas when a tandem with a child on the back went by. One of the dogs ran along with the tandem and had its mouth cms from the child's leg (got this on video). I said 'is that appropriate?' He suggested it demonstrated how safe the dogs are. Then he started saying I have not got a witness re the bite. Amusing conversation continued until he told me to get f'd.

Only at the end did I tell him I had a camera running. The audio is priceless.

I have rung through a report to the dangerous dog hotline....

zero

Postby zero » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:49 pm

csy75 wrote:
zero wrote: Parrawi Rd doesn't have a cross intersection at the top. You can't tell me that any legal method of getting there is safer than just continuing to ride along spit rd. Also whatever I do to get to that side of the road will far more seriously interfere with traffic flow than just riding along spit rd. Amusingly after shaking your head at a bicycle riding in the middle lane, you just used the same sized vehicle to do exactly the same thing at the same speed, 20m ahead of it, and you make the most dangerous of the moves (outside lane to middle lane), more often than the cyclist does.
zero, i commute from manly to the city every day either by bike or moto. i cycle off the main road both ways.

it's a decision i make to stay safer. I come to parriwi downill from the back streets of mosman via moruben road so yes, there is a crossing directly to it.

please don't confuse a motorcycle with superior handling/tyres/brakes etc with a cyclist doing 70 km/h downhill in the middle of a 3 lane road in peak hour. a motorcycle is not the same vehicle as a bicycle.

my post and head shaking is because the guy is braver than me ( some might say foolhardy ).
He is doing 55 (in your video - have to pedal hard to push 60+ there), you are doing 70. He will brake at 0.5g, and you will brake at 0.8g. At 1 second in after an unexpected event, both of you have the same reactions, except now you are 4.1m closer to that event than he is, and neither of you have begun to slow down. At 2 seconds in, he will be doing 10m/sec (36km/hr), and you will be doing 11.4 (41km/hr), and you will be now 5.6m ahead of the cyclist. At 3s you'll be doing doing 3.4m/sec, and he'll be doing 5m/sec, and you will still be 5.6m ahead of the cyclist. He will need 2.5m to complete his stop, which will still be under your total distance even though he finishes stopping after you do, and the envelope of his braking area sweeps less space at higher speeds, which is the more favourable profile for likelyhood of a collision occuring at the higher speed range.

In practice he risks abrasions more than you (I presume you aren't a squid) you risk colliding with a lane changing car more than he does, and you risk a brickwall stop event more than he does by travelling faster. If you were travelling at 55 as well, you could legitimately claim you were taking less risk with your superior dynamics.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:02 pm

Hand up. Got caught behind a slower rider that was riding left to right towards the middle of the pathway (not a great deal but enough to second guess passing closeby with pedestrians on the other side of the path) with earphones well and truly stuck in her ears. Approached a semi blind but opening corner. You can usually see people walking/riding their bikes through the gaps in the fencing/trees. Saw no one on the other lane, saw the top rail of the bridge, saw the path futher along, saw the bike rider coming towards me, saw other people walking in the distance and didn't see anyone close by. Decided to make the pass as not to be stuck behind her before we caught up to the rest of the oncoming people. So I moved to the inside of the path and overtook her with ease but just as I was about to move back across I saw a guy wearing a green shirt with light brown + grey striped pants walking towards me. No incidnet but just a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! up on my part. After that she started to look behind and let a couple others past. Got futher along the path to a point where it zigzaged back and I heard multiple dings and looked over to see about 4 other cyclists now stuck behind her. At least she had picked up the pace :lol:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:18 pm

Dumb cyclist warning for those in the Toongabbie/Norwest Sydney area.

5'9" 80kg 60 year old Danish bloke wearing Clarksville Cyclery (orange/red) kit, riding a white/blue 105 Giant. I passed him in Toongabbie on the service road and when he finally caught up to me at the underpass at Windsor Rd he was saying a truckload of offensive things while my son was in the babyseat behind me. I have a feeling he thought I was racing him as I kept looking back (because I figured I'd have to make way as he came rushing past), and I had to slow down to get through the underpass a lot (few people near the path and much harder to balance with the boy on the back through tight areas). I had a quick chat to him and it wasn't until 200m later when I took off that I realised he was chipping me (when he referred to me as a F*&^ING LOSER). My hearing isn't brilliant and wind at 30kmh makes it that much worse. I just can't get my head around why he had a bee in his bonnet. :lol:

If you can't ride faster than me, don't have a cry when you have to slow down behind me for corners. If you don't like sharing the paths, get onto the road. If you can't be civil, I suggest you return to Denmark as it appears you prefer to swear in that language. If you can't be civil around children, hang your head in shame. It was an embarrassment to share the path with you today. :idea:

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:26 pm

malnar - can you post your being chased by a rabid dog video... and tell us, have you got yesterday's conversation on tape too? that would be pure gold to the authorities..... bwhahaha :twisted: especially if the owners admit it chases riders....

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:39 pm

cp123 wrote:malnar - can you post your being chased by a rabid dog video... and tell us, have you got yesterday's conversation on tape too? that would be pure gold to the authorities..... bwhahaha :twisted: especially if the owners admit it chases riders....
even better: get a screen grab of the owners and we'll start a facebook page "My dogs snack on cyclists for breakfast"

malnar

Postby malnar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:18 pm

cp123 wrote:malnar - can you post your being chased by a rabid dog video... and tell us, have you got yesterday's conversation on tape too? that would be pure gold to the authorities..... bwhahaha :twisted: especially if the owners admit it chases riders....
Get got the lot on vid. Audio very clear.
- He acknowledges that it bit,
- you can see & hear the fact that they ignore his verbal commands
- he acknowledges that they are in breach of the council rule stating that dogs attracted to moving bicycle tyres cannot be off lead.
- I said it chased me for 500m & he corrects me by saying it was more like 800 (I have to agree with his estimate),
- he said he was yelling at me to stop, & if I had, nothing would have happened.
- There's even a complaint from the wife about cyclist scaring her as they pass.

The whole thing is gold, funny, farcical and sad.

Just got to convert it from .mov to something else so I can edit it in movie maker. Journo from The Age wants to see it.

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:21 pm

malnar wrote: Journo from The Age wants to see it.

careful. They may make it into a "Cyclist scares Pedestrial / Dog" article...
2010 BMC SLC01

csy75

Postby csy75 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:30 pm

zero wrote:He is doing 55 (in your video - have to pedal hard to push 60+ there), you are doing 70.
:lol:
outstanding!
apparently you can guesstimate someone's speed off a youtube clip versus my actually being there.

if you can do that i cannot disagree on anything you say anymore, based your superior powers of observation.

i bow down before you sir.