The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

warthog1

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:25 pm

fat and old wrote:I'm gonna see that on a bad day and tie the bloody thing around their neck, see how it goes down. Morons :evil:
8) 8) :lol:
Would love to see that!
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:23 pm

warthog1 wrote:
fat and old wrote:I'm gonna see that on a bad day and tie the bloody thing around their neck, see how it goes down. Morons :evil:
8) 8) :lol:
Would love to see that!
. You'd need a rugby league player or two....

uppo75

Impaitents is costly

Postby uppo75 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:07 pm

I was on my home along the fernleigh track after a MTB ride through Glenrock this morning, a guy on a road bike decided to overtake me as I was passing a woman walking her dog. The track, at this point, is about 2-3m wide, with wire fencing on both sides to stop the rocks falling onto the track.
He called passing and went past me as I went past her.
He went too wide and off the other side of the track where his Brifter lodged in one of the holes in the wire fence.
This resulted in a spectacular "over the bars" as his bike stopped instantly :shock: :shock: :shock:
It scared the crap out of the dog walker and I.
He he seemed ok, we asked a few times if he was ok as the reality hit home and we checked his bike.
A snapped fork blade, a fully cracked seat tube, a 90degree angle to his brifter, bent rear derailleur.
It was a pretty surreal moment.

He did mention that he should have waited..
It was a situation that could have easily been avoided i he just waited about another 2 seconds.

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:36 am

My pet hate with dog owners are the ones who figure a good way to train Fido/Fidette is to give a good sharp yank on the leash
I watched a woman doing that with her dog last week. She was walking three dogs, she had two on the leash and one off. The one off was running all over the place from one side of the road to the other (come to think of it, it might not have been her dog!) and of course the ones on leash were trying to run off after it. So she starts yanking hard on the leash of the younger one, lifting it's front legs off the ground. I was on the phone but I probably should have yelled out at her through the window. Anyway, after a few yanks and making it sit, while the other one tied its lead around her ankles, she set off down the road again.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

39x25

Postby 39x25 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:21 am

Had two this morning.

Lilyfield rd climbing up from the bay, a Jogger decides he's too good for the sidewalk and runs down hill against the traffic in the bike lane. Buddy between a choice of shoulder charging you or the truck passing me at the same time.. you lose. Lucky he jumps out of the way screaming at the last moment... please go fornicate with yourself.

Lady riding down the north side ramp of the Anzac bridge, decides after the corner to veer into the oncoming lane, while i'm there going up it... Yelling !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! at the top of her lungs as she just misses me.

otherwise a nice morning ride.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:14 pm

Not sure if this bloke is dumb, but there are some things I don't need to see at 07:15 in the morning. You should all be thankful that the camera lens was covered in water :lol:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:29 am

mate of mine got sliced up yesterday on Main Yarra Trail where the freeway overpass at St Kevin's merges. a not-very-pro-looking cyclist lost control coming down the ramp that merges with the main trail and took him out. he got sliced up by the steel armco barriers that guard the trail from the road as he was tumbling over/into her. he's now awaiting surgery to repair deep cuts. it was an accident - lack of riding skill and likely experience the most likely cause.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:03 pm

jules21 wrote:mate of mine got sliced up yesterday on Main Yarra Trail where the freeway overpass at St Kevin's merges. a not-very-pro-looking cyclist lost control coming down the ramp that merges with the main trail and took him out. he got sliced up by the steel armco barriers that guard the trail from the road as he was tumbling over/into her. he's now awaiting surgery to repair deep cuts. it was an accident - lack of riding skill and likely experience the most likely cause.
Yuck! :? :x

Not sure how you could lose control there it is a pretty straight forward junction. (By the ramp I presume you mean the ramp to the Gardener's Creek Path.)

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:21 pm

human909 wrote:
jules21 wrote:mate of mine got sliced up yesterday on Main Yarra Trail where the freeway overpass at St Kevin's merges. a not-very-pro-looking cyclist lost control coming down the ramp that merges with the main trail and took him out. he got sliced up by the steel armco barriers that guard the trail from the road as he was tumbling over/into her. he's now awaiting surgery to repair deep cuts. it was an accident - lack of riding skill and likely experience the most likely cause.
Yuck! :? :x

Not sure how you could lose control there it is a pretty straight forward junction. (By the ramp I presume you mean the ramp to the Gardener's Creek Path.)
The usual: not looking where you're going, not warning others you're there (you know: bell or voice), failing to give way, overtaking into oncoming pedestrians and cyclists, experienced cyclists not making allowances for the newbies that pop up this time of year and so on. At that junction, on most mornings I'm usually on the brakes and bell warning people coming down the overpass that I'm there. Having said that, the path is narrow at that point and the proximity of the armco is scary.

<rant> I use the Main Yarra Trail most days and on busy days it's scary with ridiculous heroics and crazy overtaking maneouvers. I've had five abreast coming at me at speed up the hill to the Anderson Street bridge, people overtaking on blind crests and corners into oncoming traffic and pedestrians, people overtaking knowingly into oncoming traffic, the massive duck hid on the 'fiddled' red e-bike that slices through commuter traffic at over 40km/h. I used to take a note of the stupidos but I gave up a while ago. It's truly a wonder that newbies don't give up in gibbering fear the first time they use the Main Yarra Trail during peak hour. A bit of civility on the trail would make everyone's commute safer. </rant>

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:41 pm

duncan16v wrote:A bit of civility on the trail would make everyone's commute safer. </rant>
FTFY
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:28 pm

bychosis wrote:
duncan16v wrote:A bit of civility on the trail would make everyone's commute safer. </rant>
FTFY
Yep, this. Always
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:53 pm

I have always given peds a wide berth on paths as I believe it is their domain. Recently I have started to be polite too.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:04 pm

human909 wrote:Not sure how you could lose control there it is a pretty straight forward junction. (By the ramp I presume you mean the ramp to the Gardener's Creek Path.)
I think this was just lack of riding ability/experience. yeah, the GC path.
Patt0 wrote:I have always given peds a wide berth on paths as I believe it is their domain. Recently I have started to be polite too.
that kinda looks like he may be extracting the urine there. but I agree, it's easier to be polite. not much to gain from yelling at them.

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:41 pm

On the sound of the bell, he did head straight for the line I would have used to pass.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:22 pm

Patt0 wrote:On the sound of the bell, he did head straight for the line I would have used to pass.
We've all met that kind :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:19 pm

For the second time in this thread, I'm nominating myself.

Was out on a shop ride this morning and got a bit of "red mist syndrome" and decided to cane it down a hill that I haven't been down before. Fortunately for viewers at home, my blood curdling cry as I came through the last roundabout and realised I had a good chance of launching myself up the curb was masked by wind noise on the camera, but the owner of my LBS thought he may've just lost a customer. :oops:

skcycle

Postby skcycle » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:54 pm

Moron cyclist this morning in Surry Hills/Darlinghurst. Turning right (illegal right turn) from Moore Park Rd into Flinders Street straight through the red, didn't even slow down... Then follows up and goes straight through the next red light about 100m down the road.....
Look 795 Aerolight
Ridley Helium X
97 Bianchi Veloce
58 Legnano (in progress)

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:03 pm

Happily riding into work this morning along a reasonably busy road with a less than reasonably sized bike lane when a "cyclist:" decides that he doesn't have the confidence to turn right when it's safe to do so and instead tries (badly) to track stand in said minuscule bike lane. This would've been fine had I not been passing at 30-odd km/h with a card up my backside (evidently the driver was more alert than the cyclist).

Would've loved to leave them a "thank you note" on their strava activity, but either they don't use it or have opted out of flyby :cry:

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:46 pm

WhingingPom wrote:Happily riding into work this morning along a reasonably busy road with a less than reasonably sized bike lane when a "cyclist:" decides that he doesn't have the confidence to turn right when it's safe to do so and instead tries (badly) to track stand in said minuscule bike lane. This would've been fine had I not been passing at 30-odd km/h with a card up my backside (evidently the driver was more alert than the cyclist).

Would've loved to leave them a "thank you note" on their strava activity, but either they don't use it or have opted out of flyby :cry:
What's the issue here?
Onus is on you to pass safely

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:53 pm

Possibly, but seriously, what a 'richard' move. You don't do a u turn (car) from a lane that narrow do you?

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:28 pm

wellington_street wrote: What's the issue here?
I was passing perfectly safely until Richard Head on the bike nearly fell off because he's too pro to unclip and can't turn right.

I had to move out into traffic to avoid him because he did something stupid/inappropriate for the conditions/location. How is what he did any different to someone opening their car door without looking? Is the onus on me to pass those safely too?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:53 pm

It looked like he was riding in the bike lane and then stopped. Did he swerve right into traffic after you passed or something? Can't really see anything else in the video.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:57 pm

WhingingPom wrote:
wellington_street wrote: What's the issue here?
I was passing perfectly safely until Richard Head on the bike nearly fell off because he's too pro to unclip and can't turn right.

I had to move out into traffic to avoid him because he did something stupid/inappropriate for the conditions/location. How is what he did any different to someone opening their car door without looking? Is the onus on me to pass those safely too?
Ring your bell or call 'passing' to let him know you're there. If he pulls out in front of you then, then yes, he's a duck head. Otherwise you share the responsibility.

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:12 pm

zero

Postby zero » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:34 am

WhingingPom wrote:Happily riding into work this morning along a reasonably busy road with a less than reasonably sized bike lane when a "cyclist:" decides that he doesn't have the confidence to turn right when it's safe to do so and instead tries (badly) to track stand in said minuscule bike lane. This would've been fine had I not been passing at 30-odd km/h with a card up my backside (evidently the driver was more alert than the cyclist).

Its a casual rider in joggers, they simply don't have the power to merge safely into 60km/hr traffic, and merging in front of that car, and then stopping to wait for the plainly visible oncoming car to make the right turn would be madness, asking for a rear ender, and given their speed probably contrary to their requirements under the road rules to give way to vehicles travelling on a different line.

As far as the bicycle moving right, that is absolutely typical of a casual rider doing a headcheck, the rider is also moving forward at all times during your video, they are even pedaling forward - they are not performing a trackstand.

IMO unless you see the rider rolling at 35+ then expect them to need to use the bicycle lane as a refuge.