The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

fat and old

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby fat and old » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:53 pm

Old mate cyclist on Arden St this am...

Not because he blew the red light and didn't have lights...I don't give a fig.....but because he blew a red light with no lights whilst next to a cop. :lol: :lol:

Crappy i-pic. Sorry

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:47 pm

tez001 wrote: I know the area well and thats just not on and I agree with the others. I would have given old mate a mouthful if I heard that.
I was over by the river with my toddler changing the rail points and thought it would be over before i could do anything. I mean who would actually stop riding to force an argument when there was almost no inconvenience? He was the very picture of the entitled mamil the tabloid comments section like to refer to.

tgdavies

Postby tgdavies » Thu May 05, 2016 11:19 pm

Me tonight -- I rode home in the dark tut-tutting at cyclist without rear lights, to find, when I got home, that mine had run out of juice at some point :oops:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:26 pm

Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun May 08, 2016 12:37 pm

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun May 08, 2016 12:42 pm

jasonc wrote:
Wrong thread?
Probably supposed to be this link.

http://road.cc/content/news/188894-vide ... -first-bmw

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:45 pm

jasonc wrote:
Wrong thread?
No .Tg said he ran out of juice on his rear light.(not that I'm saying Tg is dumb)
If you have a commuter a dyno hub lighting system is the greatest single asset IMO.

That is not the me of a few years ago. I'm getting old :cry: :lol:
Last edited by warthog1 on Sun May 08, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:48 pm

biker jk wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Wrong thread?
Probably supposed to be this link.

Plenty of dumb and moron on both sides there.

uart

Postby uart » Sun May 08, 2016 7:08 pm

biker jk wrote: Probably supposed to be this link.
LOL, I love the way that the story (and headline) try to make out that the cyclist is responsible for the turn of events by doing something stupid. And then when you watch the video it's the car that drives on the wrong side of the road and straight into the cyclist (who was not expecting the car there and was traveling fairly quickly so couldn't quite manage to stop).

Maybe a tiny bit of blame on the cyclist for not noticing a bit sooner that the car was moving, but seriously that was 99% the car on the wrong side of the road in my mind.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun May 08, 2016 8:33 pm

uart wrote:
biker jk wrote: Probably supposed to be this link.
LOL, I love the way that the story (and headline) try to make out that the cyclist is responsible for the turn of events by doing something stupid. And then when you watch the video it's the car that drives on the wrong side of the road and straight into the cyclist (who was not expecting the car there and was traveling fairly quickly so couldn't quite manage to stop).

Maybe a tiny bit of blame on the cyclist for not noticing a bit sooner that the car was moving, but seriously that was 99% the car on the wrong side of the road in my mind.
True but if you watch where you're cycling it could save your life. No point claiming it was 99% the motorist's fault when you're dead.

uart

Postby uart » Sun May 08, 2016 8:42 pm

biker jk wrote:
uart wrote:
biker jk wrote:True but if you watch where you're cycling it could save your life. No point claiming it was 99% the motorist's fault when you're dead.
Yes the rider could definitely have noticed the car and braked a bit sooner, but remember that he's probably not expecting that car on the wrong side of the road to be moving. So it's gotta be pretty easy to misjudge that, if say you look down for just a couple of seconds and then all of a sudden that car is 40 meters closer than what you were expecting. :)

tgdavies

Postby tgdavies » Sun May 08, 2016 9:09 pm

warthog1 wrote:No .Tg said he ran out of juice on his rear light.(not that I'm saying Tg is dumb)
If you have a commuter a dyno hub lighting system is the greatest single asset IMO.
I should look at one, although I would like to use it to charge a battery rather than run the lights directly -- is that possible?

At present I have a HotShot Micro, which I really like, but (partly because it has good battery life) don't always remember to recharge.
My front light is a MagicShine with an external battery pack, which has a handy indicator to tell you when it is running low, and I carry a spare pack. I was planning to run a MagicShine rear, off the same pack as the front, so that I would have one fewer thing to charge, but on buying an MJ-818 I decided that it is way too bright and misses the opportunity for much better flash patterns :-(

So I either need to make some sort of diffuser for the 818 or find another rear light which runs off a 2S LiPo, (or get a hub dynamo, but I actually want a battery on my bike as I'm planning to run my camera(s) from the same LiPo)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun May 08, 2016 11:06 pm

I'm no expert on them, but they only put out 6v and 3watts.
P=vi so 0.5a which is not much to charge a battery with.
There are some pretty good front and rear dyno lights available with much better optics thsn a magic shine that just sprays light everywhere.
Thst is the way to go I reckon.
My B&M luxos u has a usb charge facility but I've never used it.
Hopefully some more knowledgeable dynohub punters can chime in with battery charging.
Ronk and ilpadrone are 2 that do so whilst touring I believe.

human909

Postby human909 » Sun May 08, 2016 11:13 pm

It should deliver enough juice to be able to charge anything that is USB rechargeable. The max spec for USB is 5W at 5V, though some things do like to draw more if they can. Most likely you could make it work just by wiring it up to a USB plug..

As far as charging anything else it really depends on the light and the charger used. High powered lights may refuse to charge if they can't get enough juice from the input. But every light/battery has different circuitry so you can't say for sure.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 09, 2016 4:50 pm

human909 wrote:It should deliver enough juice to be able to charge anything that is USB rechargeable. The max spec for USB is 5W at 5V, though some things do like to draw more if they can. Most likely you could make it work just by wiring it up to a USB plug..
That would be a good way to let the smoke out. :roll:

1) bicycle dynamos are AC, USB is DC
2) while hub dynamos are notionally 6V at 0.5A, this is only true at a particular speed - usually ~12 km/h. A dynamo is basically a constant current device - below 12 km/h it will produce a lower voltage, above that speed the voltage will be higher - they can deliver more than 50V if your legs are good enough.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

human909

Postby human909 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:46 pm

find_bruce wrote:That would be a good way to let the smoke out. :roll:

1) bicycle dynamos are AC, USB is DC
You are quite correct. Forgive me in thinking that a something called a dynamo (which by definition puts out DC), puts out a DC current. An alternator would be the more correct name (again by definition) if it is putting AC. But like I said you are correct, the incorrect nomenclature mislead me.

My recommendations are wrong but there are appropriate rectifiers on the market to convert & smooth the power for USB charge.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Mon May 09, 2016 8:20 pm

Whack a Forumslader kit onto the dynohub, can get up to 12W out of the hub, plus it has either a 12V output from it's battery pack or a USB output at 1 or 3A

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue May 10, 2016 6:18 am

human909 wrote:Forgive me in thinking that a something called a dynamo (which by definition puts out DC), puts out a DC current. An alternator would be the more correct name (again by definition) if it is putting AC.
Damn fools at Siemens, using nomenclature that's deliberately misleading :x

:lol:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 13, 2016 3:13 pm

The halfwit cyclist, running the pedestrian crossing red light, outside of Kippa-Ring school yesterday afternoon. He was in BMC riding apparel and had more than enough time to stop. I was stopped in the truck and he came from behind me and rode through. :evil:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

eldavo

Notable events of Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby eldavo » Sat May 14, 2016 2:23 pm

Trying for a less caustic thread response subject line ;)

from YouTube description wrote: Pretty young ladies throwing themselves before me vulnerably. I could be Jamie from Outlander... or Batman... my wife only wishes. A cathartic video getting some personal entertainment value from the pants filling moment this young woman popped out onto the path like a rabbit out of a hat... it felt like at least. I only saw her when she was right in front when I reacted with a twitch on the bike, "Ooh" verbally and the freewheel ratcheting sounds as I coast and the brain processes the shock.

After watching the video I see she crossed from the road median strip, past the nature strip and onto the shared path before looking up to see what was on the shared path (me). I was looking through the bend to pick up oncoming traffic issues early, and didn't see her chameleon movement on the left.
I thought maybe sun in the eyes behind me, but really just her not looking. I run my two day light strobe flashing lights. Just luck I didn't collide with her, or unlucky it was this close.
On the upside I liked adding the audio to the footage to chill out :) Aimee Mann from Magnolia soundtrack tracks 1 and 2.
It was a nice ride and I took a moment to enjoy the sunset, never know when it will be your last ;)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFV5dnOtklV/

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sat May 14, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi,

The rules for riding on shared paths in WA would, if there had been a collision between you and the girl, have made you liable. When riding a bike you are required to Give Way to any pedestrian who is on or crossing the shared path. This is to cover just the circumstances that you encountered and you should have been looking for and aware of any pedestrian crossing the road and entering the path.

This is also the reason why Austroads specifies that shared paths are only suitable for bike speeds up to 20 km/h. Because you appeared to be travelling at about 28 km/h this meant that you spent valuable pedestrian scanning time looking ahead to scan the vehicle crossing coming up.

That said, 28 km/h at that location was not overly excessive considering that many of the more reckless cyclists are up in the high 30's and 40's along this path.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat May 14, 2016 6:46 pm

It's in my natural "don't hit stuff" instinct to not get hurt, and not hurt others, fortunately my error is only a near miss.

As pedestrians we also have responsibilities of what we should or should not do, my kids are learning this as "look right, look left, then right again" before crossing a path for self preservation.
Road Traffic Code 2000 Pedestrians Part 14 General Division 1 r. 201 wrote: 201. Pedestrians not to cause obstruction
(1) A person shall not unreasonably obstruct or prevent the free passage of any other pedestrian or a vehicle upon a path or carriageway.
Modified penalty: 2 PU.
Like for a cyclist you stated:
Road Traffic Code 2000 Part 15 Additional provisions for bicycle riders wrote: 216. Shared paths and separated footpaths
(2) The rider of a bicycle who is on a separated footpath or a shared path shall give way to a pedestrian who is on, or is crossing, the
separated footpath or shared path.
Modified penalty: 1 PU
It's nice as a vulnerable pedestrian to have strict liability, shame that road cyclists don't enjoy a similar vulnerable privilege amongst motor vehicles. That coastal area is interesting as you can see the two scenarios live between the shared path, then scaled up to the highway but the same standards don't apply for cyclist/motor vehicle conflict.

For the shared path design maximum 20kph is 5.5m/s, I wonder how my reaction time with this design stacks up.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon May 16, 2016 11:32 am

That's a shocker, but really not surprising. We had a local section of sharepath contracted out for design by the council. When it went for construction by the council crew they chucked the new design away and started from scratch as the contracted designers had designed the path to go along a section full of power poles. Fortunately the construction wasn't contracted out as that is how it would have been built and then cost double to fix it up.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 18, 2016 9:28 pm

Don't just charge out across fairly busy roads on your bike (not even at a crossing point) with no lights on of any sort at night.

And especially not when another rider is coming towards you on the road at the general speed of the road traffic.

This week I've seen a stack of riders at night with no lights of any sort. And one the total opposite with an enormous front light so incredibly bright I could barely see anything ahead, it was absolutely blinding. :roll:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu May 19, 2016 7:34 am

g-boaf wrote: And one the total opposite with an enormous front light so incredibly bright I could barely see anything ahead, it was absolutely blinding. :roll:
I had one of those this morning. As it got closer I was getting ready to give it to them when I realised it was a jogger with a headlamp. He couldn't really dip his head aye? And at least I could see him, so kudos to the fella :D