The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jaseyjase

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:30 pm

jasonc wrote:jase - did he get the KOM at least?
wouldve got a 2015 KOM at the very least :lol:

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:44 pm

fat and old wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
fat and old wrote:Yesterday. Me. Riding with my mate who's just getting back into it and is suffering but soldiering on. Hit Marine Pde in Dromana....nice wide quiet road at the time.....and he's out quite wide. No biggie, but Mr Pro I Wear Official Whatever kit decides to give him a serve. Ok he's wide and slow....so friggin what? Go around...there's no cars. I was stupid for not belting the arrogant sook.
Maybe he said that because car drivers love any excuse possible to hate cyclists. I wasn't there, so I don't know. I think cyclists threatening to belt each other is a perfectly good reason to introduce registration requirements for bicycle riders. It doesn't encourage newcomers.
Honestly, my mate (and I) was quite wide on the road, and the bloke was no different to a lot of people here in that he felt he had to have a say about something he saw as not right. I can see that, but I'm not one to tell others how to live unless they're going to put my life (or my family/friends lives) in danger. Which we weren't. He may see it different; fair enough. But don't yell abuse at us, unless you're going to back it up.

If I called every stupid move I see everyday I'd end up like a few here, bitter, twisted and unable to enjoy a simple cycle down the road without 25 cameras, 15 insurance policies and a team of lawyers to sic on the bad guys....

Storm in a teacup, I just wanted to sook :lol:

Edit: he didn't threaten to hit anyone....sorry if I gave that impression. I felt like belting him :oops:
Gold pure gold..... totally agree with you.
OI onya bike!!!

herzog

Postby herzog » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:19 pm

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:19 pm

nezumi wrote:Best I can suggest is to always say thanks to those who do move, and to call out in a courteous voice - not frustrated or impatient. :)
I get good reactions from 'morning or good morning. Or nice morning for a walk/run/skate.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:31 pm

Apparently the dumb cyclist was me this afternoon. Coming off the Claisbrook overpass heading east, I didn't quite wash off enough speed before being blocked by sheeple meandering all over the shared path. Unfortunately, this forced me slightly into the oncoming lane where two cyclists passed going in the other direction. I know this is not an ideal situation and one which I would have preferred to avoid. However there was enough room for all shared path users and it was not an issue. Despite this, cyclist number two felt the need to call out "you idiot" to me, which I feel was unwarranted given the circumstances. Incidentally, a cyclist did exactly the same thing to me a few hundred metres down the path when he was forced over into my lane and I had to pass with him in my lane. It really wasn't an issue and I would not have even noticed if cyclist number 2 hadn't called me an idiot. Now, I understand the excitement if this was on a blind corner but this was a flat, wide section of path in the afternoon with plenty of visibility. My message to cyclist number 2: relax dude, no need to call out every cyclist who doesn't ride to your high standards :|
<removed by request>

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:21 am

Awwwe chucks you probably gave the poor boy a fright, and he had to go home to change his knicks because they were all wet. :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:43 am

Had a woman in her 60s have a go at me because I asked her to keep left this morning :roll:

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:15 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Apparently the dumb cyclist was me this afternoon. Coming off the Claisbrook overpass heading east, I didn't quite wash off enough speed before being blocked by sheeple meandering all over the shared path. Unfortunately, this forced me slightly into the oncoming lane where two cyclists passed going in the other direction. I know this is not an ideal situation and one which I would have preferred to avoid. However there was enough room for all shared path users and it was not an issue. Despite this, cyclist number two felt the need to call out "you idiot" to me, which I feel was unwarranted given the circumstances. Incidentally, a cyclist did exactly the same thing to me a few hundred metres down the path when he was forced over into my lane and I had to pass with him in my lane. It really wasn't an issue and I would not have even noticed if cyclist number 2 hadn't called me an idiot. Now, I understand the excitement if this was on a blind corner but this was a flat, wide section of path in the afternoon with plenty of visibility. My message to cyclist number 2: relax dude, no need to call out every cyclist who doesn't ride to your high standards :|
Cop it on the chin and learn from it. You were in the wrong. You state that you're on a flat, wide and straight path but are "forced" into the oncoming lane. You weren't forced at all, it was your decision. You probably should have slowed and waited. But instead you decided to cut it a bit closer and someone called you out on it. Probably fair enough.
Is a car on the wrong side of a road forced there as they pass a cyclist? No.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:12 pm

SuperSix wrote:Cop it on the chin and learn from it. You were in the wrong. You state that you're on a flat, wide and straight path but are "forced" into the oncoming lane. You weren't forced at all, it was your decision. You probably should have slowed and waited. But instead you decided to cut it a bit closer and someone called you out on it. Probably fair enough.
Is a car on the wrong side of a road forced there as they pass a cyclist? No.
Hmm. And yet when an oncoming cyclist crossed slightly into my lane a few hundred metres down the path, it really wasn't an issue and I don't see that they did anything wrong at all. It's interesting that the first cyclist didn't have an issue and I didn't have an issue with the third cyclist. It was just cyclist number two who thought he had to mouth off. :roll:

With reference to your "You probably should have slowed and waited." comment, yes, I could have washed off more speed coming off the overpass if I had predicted the unpredictability of the sheeple meadering all over the shared path. I ride this path every day and mostly the peds are very sensible. I don't know why yesterday was different but it was a free for all. There were literally people and cyclists all over the path. I think it is not unreasonable for cyclists to be a bit more accomodating when conditions are less than ideal. I know I certainly am. Oh, ok. I will nominate myself as a dumb cyclist for expecting this from other shared path users. Or at least naive... :roll:
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:23 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:Awwwe chucks you probably gave the poor boy a fright, and he had to go home to change his knicks because they were all wet. :lol:
Naa. There was heaps of room. He was just one of those "there is always one, isn't there" :lol:

It's like on the roads when other drivers don't drive to my high standards, I accomodate them and don't toot, yell or aggressively tailgate them.

And when other shared path users don't ride to my high standards, I accomodate them and don't yell abuse at them.

<removed by request>

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:58 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:With reference to your "You probably should have slowed and waited." comment, yes, I could have washed off more speed coming off the overpass if I had predicted the unpredictability of the sheeple meadering all over the shared path. I ride this path every day and mostly the peds are very sensible. I don't know why yesterday was different but it was a free for all. There were literally people and cyclists all over the path. I think it is not unreasonable for cyclists to be a bit more accomodating when conditions are less than ideal. I know I certainly am. Oh, ok. I will nominate myself as a dumb cyclist for expecting this from other shared path users. Or at least naive... :roll:
Been caught with this before. Posted what I thought was a dumb other cyclist, as was also told that I was too. :D

With respect to the other cyclists response, he's probably one of those motorists that shouts at the traffic when something goes wrong too, only he can't be heard through the windows and over the radio, just when on a bike his voice gets out loud and clear.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:19 pm

bychosis wrote:Been caught with this before. Posted what I thought was a dumb other cyclist, as was also told that I was too. :D
I was expecting it, so it's fine.
bychosis wrote:With respect to the other cyclists response, he's probably one of those motorists that shouts at the traffic when something goes wrong too, only he can't be heard through the windows and over the radio, just when on a bike his voice gets out loud and clear.
He probably took those "If you see something, say something" posters a bit bit too literally :wink:

It's fine really. If he feels the need to yell at other cyclists, I'm chill with that. I'm just bent out of shape that I didn't have a witty retort. The best I could come up with on the spot was "Shut up". That is far from good enough :lol:
<removed by request>

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:34 pm

Try here: http://www.mainstrike.com/mstservices/handy/insult.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm ashamed to say that I have on more than one occasion embarrassed my fellow cyclists and/or nearby pedestrians with a bit of fruity language when some idiot decides to express their feelings towards cyclists in one way or another. Only last Sunday I instinctively advised a passing motorist what he could do with his horn, completely neglecting the feelings of any number of tourists ambling along the footpath at the time.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:11 am

Dumb Cyclist of the Year Award goes to the lady on Collins Street at Elizabeth Street this morning who decided to ignore the fact that me, as the cyclist in front of her, had stopped well behind a garbage truck that was taking over both lanes with a clear left turn indicator. This lady had no thought for the continuation of her own life as she overtook both me and this truck on the left as the light turned green and the truck started turning left. Luckily for her the truck driver was ridiculously cautious and saw her doing her suicidal move so stopped for a fraction of a second to let her through.

So bloody stupid. If that lady cyclist had nine lives she just lost one.

DON'T GO ON THE LEFT OF A BIG LEFT-TURNING TRUCK THAT IS TAKING OVER TWO LANES. There is a reason they are doing that and that gap you think is there quickly disappears when the truck starts turning.

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:37 am

One of my clients discovered what happens to an Audi C6 bonnet when you pull up in the left lane next to a left-turning truck. The trailer wheels went right over it. Needless to say it was a write-off as was he almost.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:08 pm

I have seen something similar at a roundabout. Silly driver attempted to go up the inside of a right turning articulated truck.
Not very successful.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:13 pm

silentC wrote:One of my clients discovered what happens to an Audi C6 bonnet when you pull up in the left lane next to a left-turning truck. The trailer wheels went right over it. Needless to say it was a write-off as was he almost.
Oh, ouch! Expensive.
<removed by request>

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:56 pm

Summernight wrote: DON'T GO ON THE LEFT OF A BIG LEFT-TURNING TRUCK THAT IS TAKING OVER TWO LANES. There is a reason they are doing that and that gap you think is there quickly disappears when the truck starts turning.
DON'T GO ON THE LEFT OF A BIG LEFT-TURNING TRUCKANYTHING WHERE YOU CAN SEE PAST IT.

/ftfy

I went down the left side of a bus, not fast, which was turning right. Unbeknownst to me a car was turning right from the other lane into a driveway on my side of the road in front of the bus. I only noticed when I was about two meters away because there was a BIG ANYTHING called a bus blocking my line of sight. Slammed the brakes on, went over the bars, landed badly and did my AC joint in. At least I did not get hit by the car though. Have full mobility in my shoulder, but even 6-7 months later I can feel it in the gym and I am possibly permanently disfigured (but war wounds and I'm male, so hey :)). Sadly, I was actually questioning myself while riding to the left of the bus as it is something I did not normally do (and aim never to do again). The rights and wrongs do not matter.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:29 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
bychosis wrote:Been caught with this before. Posted what I thought was a dumb other cyclist, as was also told that I was too. :D
I was expecting it, so it's fine.
bychosis wrote:With respect to the other cyclists response, he's probably one of those motorists that shouts at the traffic when something goes wrong too, only he can't be heard through the windows and over the radio, just when on a bike his voice gets out loud and clear.
He probably took those "If you see something, say something" posters a bit bit too literally :wink:

It's fine really. If he feels the need to yell at other cyclists, I'm chill with that. I'm just bent out of shape that I didn't have a witty retort. The best I could come up with on the spot was "Shut up". That is far from good enough :lol:
For those who are computer literate... "byte me" is also a good retort... :D
OI onya bike!!!

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:52 pm

simonn wrote:
Summernight wrote: DON'T GO ON THE LEFT OF A BIG LEFT-TURNING TRUCK THAT IS TAKING OVER TWO LANES. There is a reason they are doing that and that gap you think is there quickly disappears when the truck starts turning.
DON'T GO ON THE LEFT OF A BIG LEFT-TURNING TRUCKANYTHING WHERE YOU CAN SEE PAST IT.

/ftfy

I went down the left side of a bus, not fast, which was turning right. Unbeknownst to me a car was turning right from the other lane into a driveway on my side of the road in front of the bus. I only noticed when I was about two meters away because there was a BIG ANYTHING called a bus blocking my line of sight. Slammed the brakes on, went over the bars, landed badly and did my AC joint in. At least I did not get hit by the car though. Have full mobility in my shoulder, but even 6-7 months later I can feel it in the gym and I am possibly permanently disfigured (but war wounds and I'm male, so hey :)). Sadly, I was actually questioning myself while riding to the left of the bus as it is something I did not normally do (and aim never to do again). The rights and wrongs do not matter.
Good point. :)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:24 am

I think I found the absolutely most unbelievably stupid place for an overtake. Behold the douchebag below:

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:15 am

Boognoss wrote:I think I found the absolutely most unbelievably stupid place for an overtake. Behold the douchebag below:
Blind corner, bollards, busy path, oncoming cyclists riding downhill ,what could possibly go wrong :roll: :roll:
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:12 pm

Me.

Out riding around Wildwood in the drizzle on Sunday, I decided to try to carry a bit of momentum through one of those short-but-sharp creek gully crossings... Lost the rear wheel at a bit over 40kmph as soon as I hit an off-camber corner; slid on my right hip and forearm for I guess 5-10m or so before I decided it might be preferable to roll (worried I might be grinding my elbow down to the bone). Not sure if that was a better idea as I also banged up my knees and twisted my back a bit; but either way I came to rest on the unsealed shoulder just shy of the safety barrier and a small cliff. I think the smooth road surface saved me from more serious road rash, although it was probably also a factor in losing traction in the first place...

Damage probably isn't as bad as it should've been; road rash and pretty bad bruising to about a 30x15cm patch on my forearm, including some deepish gashes and missing chunks; a bigger bruise and smaller patch of 'carpet burn' to my right hip, and both knees a bit bruised and grazed. I'm also missing a 1cmx5mm patch of skin at the bottom of my right palm, but although both wrists are sore from the impact my 4SHAW gloves did their job and palms are fine. Bike needs new bartape and the RD, drive-side shifter and pedal have some serious battle scars - but otherwise seems ok.

Lucky not to break anything, faceplant or have more serious gravel rash - lesson learned; slow down in the wet (especially following a dry spell)!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:11 pm

Damn that sounds both nasty and scary, but as you say crashing at that sort of speed it could have been a lot worse. :(

I hope everything heals quickly :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:47 pm

m@ wrote:Me.
Yep. :shock:

Jeebers M@, heal quick.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011