The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

tez001

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby tez001 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:12 pm

Dumb cyclist I nominate myself. Coming up King st the bicycle lights are always phased incorrectly. Tried to power through the next intersection after seeing the bicycle light turn green, however a ute decided to start to creep forward to make a left turn on the red, so naturally I jumped on the anchors causing some of the cyclists behind be to have a slight tap into one another. Lesson learnt, no point trying to beat those bicycle lights.

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:00 pm

Waiting to cross an intersection from one section of bike path to another, the little green cycle sign went green, fortunately I looked right at the stopped cars before taking off as a cyclist sped past on the road in front of me through the red light the cars were stopped at. I yelled out Hey I've got a green light. I'm sure he didn't care.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:09 pm

this fool couldn't wait for the oncoming cyclist to pass before overtaking me and the pedestrian I was waiting to pass, startling both the oncoming rider and the pedestrian. Sadly impatience is not just the domain of the motor driver.

"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:37 am

2 in a couple of minutes.

1st - dumb cyclist overtakes another cyclist on a blind corner with a pedestrian coming the other way (share path) forcing the pedestrian to move
2nd - hipster bike rider merges onto shared path beside me without looking. headphones on etc etc. i asked if he looked. no response. he put the hammer down to get around me. about 1m later i mosey by

must be the warm weather stopping people using their brains

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:16 am

Mulger bill wrote:
herzog wrote:I think we have a new winner.

Salmon
RLJ
Clipping peds
THEN getting aggro about being worded up for it.

His AUDI must be in for a service... :?
Male ped was nearly as bad as cyclist. After the incident he is wandering up and down the road and on and off the footpath and then crosses the road through the traffic (even though there are traffic lights 20m away) risking getting run over by a vehicle in the second lane.

Jangari

Postby Jangari » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:23 pm

Perhaps three times per week I have to dodge pedestrians along College St, this morning there were three in two groups. The first two must have been completely deaf. The lady was walking across to the right side of the bike lane. No amount of dinging would arrest her attention. Maybe it would be for the best if they ripped it up. I'd feel safer on the road.

mikeyg63

Postby mikeyg63 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:14 pm

AirZound will get their attention....might be overkill if done right next to them but a quick toot on the AZ from afar will definitely get their attention.

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:38 pm

Ross wrote: Male ped was nearly as bad as cyclist.
Oh come on. He was being a Good Samaritan. How often do we hear complaints that bystanders do nothing in these situations?

At least this guy called out the reckless behaviour. Good on him I say.

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Jangari wrote:Perhaps three times per week I have to dodge pedestrians along College St, this morning there were three in two groups. The first two must have been completely deaf. The lady was walking across to the right side of the bike lane. No amount of dinging would arrest her attention. Maybe it would be for the best if they ripped it up. I'd feel safer on the road.
Tourists. Not a lot you can do there i guess its just a hazard around there that we have to put up with...?
Tom

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:41 pm

jasonc wrote:2 in a couple of minutes.

1st - dumb cyclist overtakes another cyclist on a blind corner with a pedestrian coming the other way (share path) forcing the pedestrian to move
2nd - hipster bike rider merges onto shared path beside me without looking. headphones on etc etc. i asked if he looked. no response. he put the hammer down to get around me. about 1m later i mosey by

1. Image

2. Image

mikeyg63

Postby mikeyg63 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:01 pm

jasonc wrote:
jasonc wrote:2 in a couple of minutes.

1. Image

2. Image
I like the bike path. It looks nice and smooooooth!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:05 pm

mikeyg63 wrote:I like the bike path. It looks nice and smooooooth!
And the rolling resistance is good too as you can hit 70kph in that section.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
luke can hit 70. must humans max out in the 50s

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:22 pm

jasonc wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:
luke can hit 70. must humans max out in the 50s
Punch it punch it punch it!

mikeyg63

Postby mikeyg63 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:27 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
That is pretty fast!....The only place in Sydney that I could have potentially hit that speed is a ride known as the 'three gorges ride'. Essentially, it's from a height of around 250m to the river below (not sure of the gradient but it's winding and gradual). I didn't have the balls to attack it. I think I got to 65kph and eased off.

At those speeds I keep thinking about the little things that could go wrong; a puncture, a rock, oil, sudden poor road surface. Then I think, crap, I wished I checked the QR levers to make sure their tight. I must be getting old with too man memories of past stacks. The tarmac has gotta hurt a lot at those speeds.

But Kudos to you Lukeyboy. You've got bigger kahuna's than me! lol

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:34 pm

In that section you'd be lucky to have 5m elevation difference from the highest point to the water level below. It's all about powahhh!!! :P

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:56 pm

Impressive work. But going those speeds on that infrastructure would seem to be put you into the category that would be suitable for this thread.

But maybe I'm just jealous, I'm only human. :wink:

mikeyg63

Postby mikeyg63 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:00 pm

Well, that didn't work out like I planned. Never mind. I'll work out how to post images on here one day.

Any tips with what to copy from photo bucket will be greatly appreciated. It seems there's a few choices.

Cheers

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:16 pm

mikeyg63 wrote:My best ever

Fixed that for you - you added an extra set of img tags.

BTW not sure if you realise, but including the url & activity number in the picture means anyone can go directly to that ride. Great pace for a tough ride.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

mikeyg63

Postby mikeyg63 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:33 pm

Thanks Bruce, Not sure what you mean about including the URL and activity number. Are you referring to the screen shot that has those details available in the address bar? And do you mean random strava users can locate that ride through the activity number?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:09 pm

mikeyg63 wrote:Thanks Bruce, Not sure what you mean about including the URL and activity number. Are you referring to the screen shot that has those details available in the address bar? And do you mean random strava users can locate that ride through the activity number?
Ooh I just found your strava ride on strava, I can now add you if I so desired
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:10 pm

human909 wrote:Impressive work. But going those speeds on that infrastructure would seem to be put you into the category that would be suitable for this thread.

But maybe I'm just jealous, I'm only human. :wink:
Considering the amount of people that actually use that bikeway at the times when I do its pretty safe. You'll be hard pressed to continue along at that speed during peak hour before you catch up to the next lot of riders ahead.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:28 pm

mikeyg63 wrote:
Well, that didn't work out like I planned. Never mind. I'll work out how to post images on here one day.

Any tips with what to copy from photo bucket will be greatly appreciated. It seems there's a few choices.

Cheers
Photobucket thoughtfully adds the IMG tags for you, you just need a straight Ctrl C-Ctrl V of the provided forum link.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:03 am

mikeyg63 wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:
That is pretty fast!....The only place in Sydney that I could have potentially hit that speed is a ride known as the 'three gorges ride'.
Not wrong about pretty good! The only place in Melbourne that I could get to that speed is at the top of the West Gate Bridge, then turn left! :lol: