The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Aushiker

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 22, 2013 3:32 pm

find_bruce wrote:While there is no doubt that Ms Way has done some dumb things & "You have to be a special kind of dumb to post that kind of comment to Twitter" sums it up, she is most definitely not a cyclist nor a pedestrian at the time & so can be found in Moron Motorists #3.
:D

Andrew

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu May 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Yesterday arvo, cycling home from work, the dumb cyclist was me. Around the train station in Perth the shared path is all torn up leaving cyclists no choice but to ride on the road in the wrong direction :shock: Add to that the mess around McIver station and I made a split second, stupid decision to launch across the road through cars waiting at the lights to go another way and avoid the whole mess altogether. I was only half way across the road when the lights turned green :oops: I was very fortunate that I was cycling through attentive and patient motorists who didn't run me down, toot or scream abuse even though I was 100% in the wrong and breaking a number of traffic laws. I deserved a serve but didn't get one. I will be looking for a safer way home this arvo. Riding home that way is a PITA.
<removed by request>

chill1995

Postby chill1995 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:41 pm

Image I wouldn't say dumb cyclist, maybe moron is a more appropriate word. Running on the Bicentennial bikeway this evening this lycra wearing old man was riding in the middle of the padestrian lane just so he could ride side by side with his friend, he was coming directly at me and had no intention of moving even when i put my hands up and and told him to get out, I ended up leaning against the railing until he went passed so I didn't get hit. :evil:

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Thu May 23, 2013 8:07 pm

Dumb cyclist was me tonight. I believed the publicity which said my new lights would give me 3 hours of use on high beam. Instead they both cut out after a bit over one hour and left me with no lights for the last, and therefore dark, section of my ride home.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu May 23, 2013 8:24 pm

TigerFilly wrote:Dumb cyclist was me tonight. I believed the publicity which said my new lights would give me 3 hours of use on high beam. Instead they both cut out after a bit over one hour and left me with no lights for the last, and therefore dark, section of my ride home.
whoops

dump cyclist, more specifically, a recumbent rider. at the hospital end of the bike path next to the vic park golf course there's a bridge that goes over the inner north busway.
anyway said genius was heading city-bound and had cut one of the blind corners so much that I had to apply both brakes and move left not to hit him.

Mr Recumbent rider - it was not intelligent. I'm on that path every day both morning and afternoon. My foot is at your head height. please don't make me defend myself with it.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu May 23, 2013 8:25 pm

TigerFilly wrote:Dumb cyclist was me tonight. I believed the publicity which said my new lights would give me 3 hours of use on high beam. Instead they both cut out after a bit over one hour and left me with no lights for the last, and therefore dark, section of my ride home.
Which light was that? Mine lasts three hours on high and 10 hours on low. Moreover, there is reserve power of three hours on low (when fuel gauge shows empty) to get you home.

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Thu May 23, 2013 9:57 pm

They are these ones - http://velo.net.au/web-shop/view/serfas ... rear-light" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; One front and one back. When I add it up properly I did have them on high beam for an hour and a quarter, and now that I read it again it does only say 1 3/4 hours for high beam, the three hours is if it's flashing. It says 9 hours for flashing low beam, so I'll use them on flashing from now on.

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri May 24, 2013 8:42 am

chill1995 wrote:Image I wouldn't say dumb cyclist, maybe moron is a more appropriate word. Running on the Bicentennial bikeway this evening this lycra wearing old man was riding in the middle of the padestrian lane just so he could ride side by side with his friend, he was coming directly at me and had no intention of moving even when i put my hands up and and told him to get out, I ended up leaning against the railing until he went passed so I didn't get hit. :evil:
Comment removed, despite the fact it's been quoted in full further down in the thread.
Last edited by Dan on Fri May 24, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri May 24, 2013 8:55 am

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri May 24, 2013 9:26 am

biker jk wrote:
Which light was that? Mine lasts three hours on high and 10 hours on low. Moreover, there is reserve power of three hours on low (when fuel gauge shows empty) to get you home.
If these are brand new, be aware it takes a few cycles for the battery to develop full capacity.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri May 24, 2013 9:30 am

Dan wrote:
chill1995 wrote:Image I wouldn't say dumb cyclist, maybe moron is a more appropriate word. Running on the Bicentennial bikeway this evening this lycra wearing old man was riding in the middle of the padestrian lane just so he could ride side by side with his friend, he was coming directly at me and had no intention of moving even when i put my hands up and and told him to get out, I ended up leaning against the railing until he went passed so I didn't get hit. :evil:
Screw it, I'll bite. Feel better, rantypants?
I have to side with the OP. The cyclists behaviour was quite rude.

As for feeling better, isn't that the entire purpose of the 89 pages (so far) of this thread? Oh, and a bit of confessional thrown in. :lol:

Edit: 189 pages. Sorry. :P

chill1995

Postby chill1995 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:01 am

Dan wrote:
Are you serious? you realise this thread is for ranting right? no need to be a tool

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri May 24, 2013 10:21 am

chill1995 wrote:
Dan wrote:
Are you serious? you realise this thread is for ranting right? no need to be a tool
Dare I say it - everyone needs to cool off a bit.

Everyone has bad days - sometimes riders do stupid things, sometimes pedestrians do silly things. I was landed off the bike for 6 weeks due to an errant pedestrian. Cranky about it, yes indeed. But there was nothing I could do about it.

No amount of ranting on here would help because the person probably doesn't read online forums. And there is the very good chance the cyclist you saw doesn't read here either. :|

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri May 24, 2013 10:44 am

I figured this thread is for little rants, and I've popped a few in. but it is also to warn others among us on things to watch out for in the hope that collisions and other incidents may be avoided. There is also the chance that someone may find and post a strategy to assist those errant dummies correcting their ways that we may be able to implement without trying to start a war.

Edit: stupid autocorrect. 'Trying' not 'young'
Last edited by bychosis on Fri May 24, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri May 24, 2013 10:47 am

bychosis wrote:I figured this thread is for little rants, and I've popped a few in. but it is also to warn others among us on things to watch out for in the hope that collisions and other incidents may be avoided. There is also the chance that someone may find and post a strategy to assist those errant dummies correcting their ways that we may be able to implement without young to start a war.
Like an Air Zound! :D :D

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri May 24, 2013 12:29 pm

Look, I've had the odd rant too - honestly, though, a cyclist not moving out of the way of a runner on a shared path in Brisbane, or anywhere for that matter, is unfortunately just part of shared pathway life - somehow painted lines equal entitlement, and trump common sense. As stated in an earlier post, those kind of people are unlikely to be reading a forum such as this, and are unlikely to be receptive of suggestions on how they could better negotiate a shared pathway situation like chillytool1995 described. Further, the moron cyclist's choice of attire is largely irrelevant to the situation, but might hint at the OP's general attitude towards cyclists... Huge assumption, of course, but hey, assumption and ranting is what the internet is all about - right?

In any case, one can choose to rant about pretty normal (whether you like it or not) occurrences, or choose to take proactive measures to avoid such a situation in the first place. Doesn't make the moron cyclist any less of a moron, but may perhaps result in a happier runner, who may then find themself (surprisingly) less rantypants than they'd otherwise have been.

chill1995

Postby chill1995 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:49 pm

Dan wrote:Look, I've had the odd rant too - honestly, though, a cyclist not moving out of the way of a runner on a shared path in Brisbane, or anywhere for that matter, is unfortunately just part of shared pathway life - somehow painted lines equal entitlement, and trump common sense. As stated in an earlier post, those kind of people are unlikely to be reading a forum such as this, and are unlikely to be receptive of suggestions on how they could better negotiate a shared pathway situation like chillytool1995 described. Further, the moron cyclist's choice of attire is largely irrelevant to the situation, but might hint at the OP's general attitude towards cyclists... Huge assumption, of course, but hey, assumption and ranting is what the internet is all about - right?

In any case, one can choose to rant about pretty normal (whether you like it or not) occurrences, or choose to take proactive measures to avoid such a situation in the first place. Doesn't make the moron cyclist any less of a moron, but may perhaps result in a happier runner, who may then find themself (surprisingly) less rantypants than they'd otherwise have been.
Why not write a ridiculous reply to every rant posted in this thread? I'm not the first and I won't be the last to complain about shared paths, if the same thing happend to you it's fairly safe to assume you would be annoyed. I can't help but feel that you've taken offence to my mention of lycra, don't get so defensive buddy.

chill1995

Postby chill1995 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Dan wrote:but might hint at the OP's general attitude towards cyclists...
Nope, I'm also a cyclist and commute 5 days a week, If he was wearing normal clothes I would've said that too. Give up.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 24, 2013 3:30 pm

I was enjoying a bit of a trawl with the post work coffee and now I gotta go all chameleon :(

Settle down now and start playing the ball or I'm gonna have go turn red. Nobody likes me when I'm red, everybody else doesn't.

I will politely ask that some of the more recent posters press the edit button on their more recent posts in this thread and reconsider their words before I'm forced to do it for them. This WILL make my mood worse which will not help their case in pleading with admin to have their suspensions lifted. I'm not pointing fingers or naming names at this stage because you are all (mostly) adult enough to recognise it yourselves.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri May 24, 2013 3:44 pm

chill1995 wrote: ... if the same thing happend to you it's fairly safe to assume you would be annoyed...
Perhaps. Dwell on it? Not likely. Look, you chose to have a moan about something that's pretty much a everyday occurrence. I know it's a thread of rants - i just place it right at the bottom end of the moron scale, and I guess we'll continue to disagree about that.

For what its worth - new poster, posting as a runner complaining about cyclists? Read like a troll to me.

How about we just have a [groupcuddle] instead.

Edited. Sorry Shaun.

herzog

Postby herzog » Fri May 24, 2013 8:03 pm

Anyone found a cyclist dumber than this guy?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 24, 2013 8:16 pm

herzog wrote:Anyone found a cyclist dumber than this guy?

But he is wearing a safety jacket

human909

Postby human909 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:52 pm

Meh. I've held onto vehicles before. No big deal.

What makes it so dumb?

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Fri May 24, 2013 9:03 pm

human909 wrote:
Meh. I've held onto vehicles before. No big deal.

What makes it so dumb?
Alternatively, what makes it such a clever move? Especially when we consider it's against the road rules

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Fri May 24, 2013 9:06 pm

Haven't you seen Back to the Future?