The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

redsonic

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby redsonic » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:28 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote: No, they don't give the rest of us a bad name: that's just out group syndrome. Any so-called collective responsibility for cyclists is only in the heads of those with an anti-cyclist prejudice. I don't see motorists behaving badly, then assume they give all other motorists a bad name, because as much as I get p#ssed off by dumb motorists, I know they're not all bad.
Very well put!

cage

Postby cage » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:58 pm

NhiTrac wrote: No, they don't give the rest of us a bad name: that's just out group syndrome. Any so-called collective responsibility for cyclists is only in the heads of those with an anti-cyclist prejudice. I don't see motorists behaving badly, then assume they give all other motorists a bad name, because as much as I get p#ssed off by dumb motorists, I know they're not all bad.
Wrong. All minorities, (& don't kid yourself, that's what we are), get lumped as one whether we like it or not.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:18 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:No, they don't give the rest of us a bad name: that's just out group syndrome. Any so-called collective responsibility for cyclists is only in the heads of those with an anti-cyclist prejudice. I don't see motorists behaving badly, then assume they give all other motorists a bad name, because as much as I get p#ssed off by dumb motorists, I know they're not all bad.
+100 Sick of being blamed because of someone else's behaviour.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:13 am

People riding at night on totally dark cyclways with no lights at all. :roll: This is ridiculous.

You cannot be seen, other people can hardly see you. And in the case of last night, the guy would have had stuff all chance of seeing a snake that was about 1.5km ahead of him.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:26 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:
NhiTrac wrote:Come to a round-a-bout this morning with a truck entering from the right. Myself and this other lad stop to give way when two guys rode through us and almost got collected by the truck.

Said trucky called them an F-wit and they responded by flipping off the trucky... Its idiots like these that gives the rest of us a bad name.
No, they don't give the rest of us a bad name: that's just out group syndrome. Any so-called collective responsibility for cyclists is only in the heads of those with an anti-cyclist prejudice. I don't see motorists behaving badly, then assume they give all other motorists a bad name, because as much as I get p#ssed off by dumb motorists, I know they're not all bad.
It does reinforce stereotypes though. I'll bet you do assume that certain types of motorists are bad based on thier stereotype and/or your personal experience. Old drivers slow/not confient, tradie utes close shaves, Audi/BMW don't use indicators, lowered commodore = bogan etc.

I'd hazard that the cyclists given the bad name in this case are the lycra roadie pack type? Fairly sure bet that most cycle haters out there don't hate ladies on step throughs or muddy mountain bikers any where near as much as the 'typical' roadie rider.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

PA

Postby PA » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:37 am

g-boaf wrote:People riding at night on totally dark cyclways with no lights at all. :roll: This is ridiculous.

You cannot be seen, other people can hardly see you. And in the case of last night, the guy would have had stuff all chance of seeing a snake that was about 1.5km ahead of him.
What size light do you use to see a snake 1.5 km ahead? :D
Mouse magnet

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:43 am

PA wrote:What size light do you use to see a snake 1.5 km ahead? :D
It's called riding the opposite direction and seeing the snake well before 'old mate' does. He would have got a nice suprise when he got there. :roll:
bychosis wrote:I'd hazard that the cyclists given the bad name in this case are the lycra roadie pack type? Fairly sure bet that most cycle haters out there don't hate ladies on step throughs or muddy mountain bikers any where near as much as the 'typical' roadie rider.
I'll bet the food delivery types on their regular bikes are giving the MTB riders and others a bad name too. They do more red light running, riding the wrong way on a one-way street, riding across pedestrian crossings or illegal footpath riding than anyone else by the looks of it and what I've seen over a number of months.

Some people just don't like riders, regardless of who they are.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:17 pm

The action of others shouldn't be seen to represent one self. Those that are doing that are simply haters of the particular community and will use any action to justify their hatred. Those haters will see crimes committed even when those being hated are complying 100% within the law
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:29 pm

g-boaf wrote: I'll bet the food delivery types on their regular bikes are giving the MTB riders and others a bad name too.
I don't think they are. I don't think they are even grouped with cyclists from the reporting I've seen. They seem to be "food delivery idiots". Really, the mode of transport doesn't seem to be the issue, the riders behaviour is. If anything, there's a very subtle touch of racism applied. And everyone hates an alien the most.

Reporters/editors are not stupid.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:02 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
NhiTrac wrote:
No, they don't give the rest of us a bad name: that's just out group syndrome. Any so-called collective responsibility for cyclists is only in the heads of those with an anti-cyclist prejudice. I don't see motorists behaving badly, then assume they give all other motorists a bad name, because as much as I get p#ssed off by dumb motorists, I know they're not all bad.
Unfortunately people are people and will lump us all together in the same bag.

That truckie mightve went and said to his mate "Jim, I nearly took out another bunch of lycra clad morons cutting me truck off this morning!"

Pedestrians witnessing that mightve went to work and said "Sandy, these cyclists are dangerous and should be registered so we can dob them in to the authorities!"

This is only compounded by social media, dash cams and the media's negative articles.

So no, I don't agree with your statement at all. In a perfect world, sure. But in the real world, or at least Australia, not a chance.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Noticed a pair of numbnuts last night (M & F couple) , 9.30 pm with no lights, no helmets and on the foot path. At least food delivery guys use their lights (occasionally).
I really should take up cycling!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:24 pm

Cyclist caught riding on Sydney Harbour Bridge. Wasn't fined though as he was a tourist who apparently was ignorant of the law. :shock:

https://goo.gl/HvrmEF

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:57 pm

biker jk wrote:Cyclist caught riding on Sydney Harbour Bridge. Wasn't fined though as he was a tourist who apparently was ignorant of the law. :shock:

https://goo.gl/HvrmEF
Some dramaitisations in the writing, for example;
Dramatic dascham vision has captured the moment a cyclist dangerously swerves across a highway exit ramp after crossing the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
From the video he is stationary and then goes across after being stationary and having a good look for on coming traffic.

No mention that he was an overseas tourist, who has obviously not understood where he should be riding

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:40 pm

Typical Channel 9...

Dramatic footage blah blah blah... I reckon the unfolding story about Don Burke is fairly dramatic too. Somehow I doubt Nine will agree so much.

Good that the rider got away without any fines and no harm done. The rider won't do that again.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:17 am

Riding in to work on Union St, Pyrmont, I'm on the right hand side of a one way street, deliberately didn't leave room to my right on account of how I'm turning right onto Pyrmont St. To my left there is a bike path plus an acre of room.

Green light, sweet - except for out of the corner of my eye I see a numbat who thinks that going into the intersection is a perfect place to pass on my right.

riding a fixie with a vanity sticker on the top tube. So Joel, if your reading this, try not to be an idiot all your life.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:51 am

redsonic wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote: No, they don't give the rest of us a bad name: that's just out group syndrome. Any so-called collective responsibility for cyclists is only in the heads of those with an anti-cyclist prejudice. I don't see motorists behaving badly, then assume they give all other motorists a bad name, because as much as I get p#ssed off by dumb motorists, I know they're not all bad.
Very well put!
Hubbards are hubbards, you can't help them. It's genetic.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:58 pm

The guy on his old-style road-bike this afternoon close shaving a pedestrian...

And they wonder why riders get a bad name... First, that was a footpath on a busy shopping area and not a shared path so you shouldn't be there and two, announce that you are going past! :evil:

uart

Postby uart » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:10 pm

I saw a classic last night riding through Newcastle. Lots of people out clubbing/partying, and King street very busy. I see a guy crossing (King st) with his head in his mobile phone and absolutely zero awareness of anything else.

He walked very slowly across a lane with oncoming traffic (no marked crossing or anything) and an approaching car slowed greatly to let him through (though the ped still had absolutely zero awareness of this or even the presence of the car). Eventually the driver (now only going about 10 km/hr) gave him a quick "toot" as he passed, just like a reminder to look where he's going. Anyway, the ped flew into a total rage, screaming and yelling at the car and gesticulating so furiously that his phone flew out of his hands and went bouncing down the road. Classic karma moment. :)

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:15 am

(not sure if dumb but hey ...)

On my many travels I seem to be encounting more, or I seem to notice more because im looking, a number of MTB riders grabbing their bar with both hands right up along the stem. Its like their trying to be aero or something. Apart from looking stupid imo and imagining it would make things very unstable is their reasoning for this or are they just a dumb cyclist?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:30 am

Spotted a commuter on a road bike wearing his helmet the wrong way around. :lol: Or was it a subtle/cryptic protest against MHLs?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:21 pm

Jawa wrote:(not sure if dumb but hey ...)

Apart from looking stupid imo and imagining it would make things very unstable is their reasoning for this or are they just a dumb cyclist?
It's all about aero. Most of them run out of gears before they run out of legs

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:27 pm

biker jk wrote:Spotted a commuter on a road bike wearing his helmet the wrong way around. :lol: Or was it a subtle/cryptic protest against MHLs?
Probably a setup for one of the online cycling blogs or forums... I'm sure the video or images will appear online soon. Call me cynical.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:59 pm

jasonc wrote:
Jawa wrote:(not sure if dumb but hey ...)

Apart from looking stupid imo and imagining it would make things very unstable is their reasoning for this or are they just a dumb cyclist?
It's all about aero. Most of them run out of gears before they run out of legs
I do it from time to time, particularly when on a flat straight section into a headwind, sometimes just because. Not so much on a descent where you need access to brakes. For a descent (non pedalling) I stick to tucking my knees into the frame and getting down low close to the bars. I does make a difference.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:36 pm

An incident where the rider appears to not of been hurt has apparently sparked a huge debate

http://www.news.com.au/technology/onlin ... 85f0860d96

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:19 am

mikesbytes wrote:An incident where the rider appears to not of been hurt has apparently sparked a huge debate

http://www.news.com.au/technology/onlin ... 85f0860d96

Of course it has, the "news" manipulate the public into these "debates" so they can increase their value. If only the news outlets weren't actually businesses and weren't so cynical in their manipulation of the population......If only the population could see it for what it is :(