The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Summernight

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:02 am

So the cyclist in front of me was wearing gloves that caught my eye (rainbow fingerless). Me likey rainbow colours. I was going to compliment him on them at a set of lights, but noticed he had earphones in so didn't bother and instead I sat behind him. A street sweeper turned into Albert Street in front of us and blocked the bike lane.

What this guy did next used up one of his spare lives:

No headcheck, no looking, just veers out into the vehicle lane. That car misses him by the skin of his teeth. That's my groan of "oh my Gods I can't believe he did that" you hear in the video. There were no cars behind this one so it was safe to overtake merely a split second later. If the car had hit him I know whose side I would have been on, and it is not the cyclist's.

Further up at the next intersection he then decides he doesn't want to wait for a traffic light to turn left so hops onto the footpath at Albert and Lansdowne although I won't penalise him for that as it is a shared path where bicycles are allowed there. Not sure the shared path extends along the footpath down Lansdowne Street. He gets to Cathedral Place where I turn right (now behind me because me waiting for the traffic lights and riding on the road was actually faster than his little manoeuvre), he hops back onto the road and crosses two lanes to turn right behind me.

He's then behind me until he turns left at Collins and Elizabeth (again by riding onto the footpath).

If you know this guy please tell him to invest in a rearvision mirror as clearly his head cannot turn adequately enough to do head checks. :roll:

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:16 pm

InTheWoods wrote:last year I had a ped walking towards me in the very middle of the bike only path, who not only didn't move out of my way they took a swing at me as I went past.
Was it a pedestrian, or one of the "locals" who hang around that short section.

rapunzel

Postby rapunzel » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Summernight wrote:No headcheck, no looking, just veers out into the vehicle lane.
Purely anecdotally and supported by me, myself, and I - this is fairly common cycling practice for many I've seen... including when taking off from lights as someone decides that the rider(s) in front are too slow to get moving, so just go around them.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:05 pm

This is an area where track riders are supreme. By definition track riders can turn left at speed while looking behind them. They have working necks. Their is a subset of commuter riders that completely lack working necks. And generally are a bit subject to target fixation and its (rather more than averagely lethal) crashes.

Ahh well.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:21 pm

Summernight wrote:What this guy did next used up one of his spare lives:...
Sure the bike rider needs to look out for himself far better, but the motor vehicle driver must surely need to anticipate this sort of thing happening with a road hazard ahead and proceed with far more caution than to barrel on without altering their modus operandi. Look out for each other peoples!

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:38 pm

Red Rider wrote:
Sure the bike rider needs to look out for himself far better, but the motor vehicle driver must surely need to anticipate this sort of thing happening with a road hazard ahead and proceed with far more caution than to barrel on without altering their modus operandi. Look out for each other peoples!
You could use that logic in many situations.

I'm actually surprised I don't see these sort of situations more often with the amount of cyclists that wait till the last moment to merge.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:55 am

Red Rider wrote:
This isn't looking out for other people it's called "defensive driving", "common sense" or "presuming everybody else is an idiot" a couple of things that I do when I'm driving around cyclists...

- If I'm at a junction and turning left, I assume that any cyclist is going to fly up me left hand side and either ignore my indicators or sit in front and block my path
- If I see a cyclist up ahead just before a line of parked cars, I'll assume that they'll fly into my path because some idiot opens their door and that the cyclist either won't look or won't be able to

This is all well and good until you're a cyclist assuming all car drivers are out to kill you coming across a driver thinking that all cyclists are suicidal douchecanoes. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago - I hung back and slowed down to avoid undercutting a left turning car, the left turning driver presumed I'd undercut him no matter what, so we both sat there screaming "NO, YOU GO" at each other for a couple of seconds until I told him that if he didn't turn left soon I'd do it for him.
Last edited by WhingingPom on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:09 am

WhingingPom wrote:This is all well and good until you're a cyclist assuming all car drivers are out to kill you coming across a driver thinking that all cyclists are suicidal douchecanoes. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago - I hung back and slowed down to avoid undercutting a left turning car, the left turning driver presumed I'd undercut him no matter what, so we both sat there screaming "NO, YOU GO" at each other for a couple of seconds until I told him that if he didn't turn left soon I'd do it for him.
This happens to me on a regular basis. I normally get behind the left turning car pretty early so that they can see me in their rear vision mirror. If there is space I pass them on the right. It would be better for all if motorists learnt and put into practice the requirement that cars must turn from the far left. As a driver I always move into the bike lane before my turn.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:55 pm

I normally get behind the left turning car pretty early so that they can see me in their rear vision mirror. If there is space I pass them on the right. It would be better for all if motorists learnt and put into practice the requirement that cars must turn from the far left. As a driver I always move into the bike lane before my turn.

this works for me - middle of lane and visible in mirror or if safe pass on right much safer than using a left hand lead into a box that probably has a car in it or a left turner at the stop line

been in Aus' for a couple of years now and first time seen anyone mention defensive driving - I thought the only style of driving was to the limit (or 10k over) and barrel on if got perceived or legislated priority regardless of what is going on

- think in the example above there is already one cyclist stuck behind the garbage truck - driving I'd assume either of the two would pull out without checking and slow or if safe change lane - the slowing sometimes results in the driver behind tailgating and using their audible warning device to clear the way but I can live with that

sometimes I think it would be simple to replace the driving test with a simple one question
"would you run your own mother over?" if you answer yes that's an immediate full license
if you answer "only if I have priority" that is a probationary license

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:02 pm

antigee wrote:been in Aus' for a couple of years now and first time seen anyone mention defensive driving - I thought the only style of driving was to the limit (or 10k over) and barrel on if got perceived or legislated priority regardless of what is going on
Lack of defensive driving skills is a native thing. Don't let on that us immigrants know what it is or there'll be cancelled passports and mass deportations!

Cheers

WP

rapunzel

Postby rapunzel » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:02 pm

human909 wrote:
WhingingPom wrote:This is all well and good until you're a cyclist assuming all car drivers are out to kill you coming across a driver thinking that all cyclists are suicidal douchecanoes. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago - I hung back and slowed down to avoid undercutting a left turning car, the left turning driver presumed I'd undercut him no matter what, so we both sat there screaming "NO, YOU GO" at each other for a couple of seconds until I told him that if he didn't turn left soon I'd do it for him.
This happens to me on a regular basis. I normally get behind the left turning car pretty early so that they can see me in their rear vision mirror. If there is space I pass them on the right. It would be better for all if motorists learnt and put into practice the requirement that cars must turn from the far left. As a driver I always move into the bike lane before my turn.
This works for me while riding, except in the cases where some rider behind me decides it's their opening to go up the left of the car about to turn...

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:12 pm

rapunzel wrote:
human909 wrote:
This works for me while riding, except in the cases where some rider behind me decides it's their opening to go up the left of the car about to turn...
That's the point where you either mutter expletives at an extremely low volume or tell the world what you think of the douchecanoe at a very loud volume.

Maybe if enough of us with a bit of common sense do the latter, they'll eventually get the message. Well, that and figure out who they are from Strava flyby and abuse them online too.

Cheers

WP

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:47 pm

Very nearly got collected no less than 6 idiots tonight - riding on the bike path, came around a corner to find these numpties running towards me, as a pack, completely blocking the bike path, at night, with no lights, no reflectives & no clue. I slammed on the brakes & barely managed to avoid them all. Some people really excel at being stupid
Anything you can do, I can do slower

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:17 pm

find_bruce wrote:Very nearly got collected no less than 6 idiots tonight - riding on the bike path, came around a corner to find these numpties running towards me, as a pack, completely blocking the bike path, at night, with no lights, no reflectives & no clue. I slammed on the brakes & barely managed to avoid them all. Some people really excel at being stupid
Shoulder = dominoes!
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

herzog

Postby herzog » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:53 pm

Bike path or shared?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:43 am

herzog wrote:Bike path or shared?
Bike path, hence they are idiots, not I'm an idiot. If you want to be technical, the part of a separated footpath designated for the use of bicycles, which is marked with the required signs alternating with road markings every 100 - 200 metres

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:42 am

Had an annoying one a few nights ago, heading south on the Kwinana PSP between narrows bridge and canning bridge. I'm in a pack of fast moving commuters (30+ kph), but not trying too hard to stay in the group, just happen to be travelling about the same speed.

About 3 or 4 guys overtake a slower rider on a flat bar, who is looking over his shoulder and starting to indicate right to CO.e off the path for one of the freeway overpass exits (don't recall which one). As I'm not right up the rider ahead's chuff I ease off, give the followers a slowing hand signal and the guy in front a shout that it's OK to move over. He does exactly that, head checks again and is just about to turn right off the path when someone at the back of the group decides he has to be on the faster guys wheels and blasts past probably 5 slowing riders and the guy trying to leave the path.

It was clear, the path is straight and everyone indicated their intentions early, but still not good enough for Mr MGIF. Having let the guy in front turn off and got back up to speed I quickly caught the group ahead anyway with little effort.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:25 pm

find_bruce wrote:Very nearly got collected no less than 6 idiots tonight - riding on the bike path, came around a corner to find these numpties running towards me, as a pack, completely blocking the bike path, at night, with no lights, no reflectives & no clue. I slammed on the brakes & barely managed to avoid them all. Some people really excel at being stupid
These is why some of us have overkill lighting at the front of our bikes so we can see in the dark these unlit riders and runners in dark clothes. Some cycleways at night are absolutely pitch black.
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:30 pm

g-boaf wrote:
These is why some of us have overkill lighting at the front of our bikes so we can see in the dark these unlit riders and runners in dark clothes.
+1. if you don't care about your safety, then my safety comes first.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:22 pm

jasonc wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
These is why some of us have overkill lighting at the front of our bikes so we can see in the dark these unlit riders and runners in dark clothes.
+1. if you don't care about your safety, then my safety comes first.
We are in furious agreement gents. I have both a powerful light on my bike plus a spot on my helmet, which helps to light up cars entering from cross streets. Didn't help on this occasion, largely as a result of the sharp corner.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:32 pm

find_bruce wrote:We are in furious agreement gents. I have both a powerful light on my bike plus a spot on my helmet, which helps to light up cars entering from cross streets. Didn't help on this occasion, largely as a result of the sharp corner.
that's where you need the AirZound

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:53 pm

I would have thought that is where you slow down. Thats what I'd expect of drivers going around blind corners...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:44 pm

human909 wrote:I would have thought that is where you slow down. Thats what I'd expect of drivers going around blind corners...
that too

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:39 pm

human909 wrote:I would have thought that is where you slow down. Thats what I'd expect of drivers going around blind corners...
I agree with you - the runners were travelling much too fast, intent on racing each other and not paying attention to their surroundings.

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun May 03, 2015 8:55 am