The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

GeoffInBrisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:44 pm

Bloody stupid iPed! Stepped out into the road without looking, couldn't hear me yell. Bang. My afternoon commute ended shortly after it had begun, with a trip to hospital. Luckily, despite the paramedic initially diagnosing a fractured ankle, it was just a sprain. I'm pretty sore, haven't looked at the bike properly yet (my work mates came and collected it, as I couldn't take it in the ambulance) but I think at the very least the bars and shifters are wrecked... :(

Pedestrian wasn't keen to hang around. Nice. Will report to police tomorrow.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:53 pm

bloody hell mate!

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:56 pm

Hobbling around on crutches now :(
Veloviewer

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:33 am

oh man. just watched it. that sucks.

herzog

Postby herzog » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:42 am

Did you make contact or did the evasive manoeuvre take you down?

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:11 am

Contact.
Veloviewer

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:10 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Contact.
Damn! :( this is why peds and others shouldn't be wearing headphones when they are out and about. Inattentive. :( And as a rider, you always come off worse than they do. :(

Hope you recover quickly.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:14 am

Thanks. Earphones are fine if the person wearing them is attentive IMO. It's the wonderful combo of earphones and not looking that is the magic combination. :-(
Veloviewer

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:49 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Thanks. Earphones are fine if the person wearing them is attentive IMO. It's the wonderful combo of earphones and not looking that is the magic combination. :-(
+1. Hope you make a quick recovery Geoff.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:45 pm

Damn, sorry to hear that Geoff. I hope the idiot is limping too.

Heal well mate.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

cp123

Postby cp123 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:08 am

man - that was bad. did he apologise or accept any responsibility?

times like that you'd wish you had a front camera too!

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:45 am

He did apologise, but gave me a dud name and number, so I guess you could say he accepted responsibility but didn't want to man up and deal with the consequences of that responsibility. I have a couple of screenshots from the fly6, but they are not very good (it was from when the bike was laid down afterwards). I'm nearly 100% sure he is a UQ student, so maybe that will help. A student and a git.

Oh, and Fly12 was ordered on the kickstarter. Can't come soon enough!
Veloviewer

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:54 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:He did apologise, but gave me a dud name and number, so I guess you could say he accepted responsibility but didn't want to man up and deal with the consequences of that responsibility. I have a couple of screenshots from the fly6, but they are not very good (it was from when the bike was laid down afterwards). I'm nearly 100% sure he is a UQ student, so maybe that will help. A student and a git.

Probably a law student. :lol:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:34 pm

biker jk wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:He did apologise, but gave me a dud name and number, so I guess you could say he accepted responsibility but didn't want to man up and deal with the consequences of that responsibility. I have a couple of screenshots from the fly6, but they are not very good (it was from when the bike was laid down afterwards). I'm nearly 100% sure he is a UQ student, so maybe that will help. A student and a git.

Probably a law student. :lol:
Probably on his way to an ethics class

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:16 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
biker jk wrote: Probably a law student. :lol:
Probably on his way to an ethics class
Not a gambling woman but I worked with that demographic for a good few years and would wager a buck or two on it.

Geoff, heal quick, that is no good whatsoever.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:27 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:

Bloody stupid iPed! Stepped out into the road without looking, couldn't hear me yell. Bang. My afternoon commute ended shortly after it had begun, with a trip to hospital. Luckily, despite the paramedic initially diagnosing a fractured ankle, it was just a sprain. I'm pretty sore, haven't looked at the bike properly yet (my work mates came and collected it, as I couldn't take it in the ambulance) but I think at the very least the bars and shifters are wrecked... :(

Pedestrian wasn't keen to hang around. Nice. Will report to police tomorrow.
Bummer. Hope your back on the bike soon. Whereabouts was this? The downhill bit near east-side Eleanor Schonell bridge?

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:08 am

Yup.
Veloviewer

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:49 am

Yeah i always get paranoid there, people seem to daydream after getting off the bus there.

Wonder if he would've stopped for that car that was behind you in the video. Im surprised he could walk away after getting hit by a bike, going at fairly decent speed. Just camp out there in the next week (same day, same time) and look for a guy with a limp.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:21 am

6:15am this morning, before sunrise. I pull along side a bike "there's something wrong with your front light"
his response "yeah, battery died"
me "you need a front light"
him "no. i'm visible from 400m"
me "ah no. you need a light after sunset and before sunrise. 400m has nothing to do with it"

so if you are the bloke riding a specialized bike in project declan kit READ THE ROAD RULES

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:13 am

Moron motorist? Dumb cyclist? You decide.... :wink:

-Cyclist rides up bike lane an then pulls into primary position of left lane stopped at a red light.
-Traffic is at a standstill 200m up the road past the intersection
-Light turns green and cyclist is quickly and over the intersection well before cars in right lane continues riding primary in the left lane as left lane ends with parked cars shortly.
-Large dual cab ute driver accelerates HARD, does a half lane change and proceeds to deliberately close shave cyclist while glaring and mouthing angrily.
-Cyclist observes a wing mirror intruding on his personal space and proceeds to assist the driver in gently folding back this protrusion.

The look on the bullyboy ute driver's face when he realised that he wasn't the only one who could be an arse was priceless. :mrgreen:

-Meanwhile 200m has passed and the road ahead is clogged with cars. Cyclist continues on his merry way though quite glad that the encounter was finished so it couldn't escalate further.

Escalating conflict like that isn't normally a good idea. It doesn't help harmony on the road and it might escalate further and put lives in danger. But god it is good seeing bullies being stood up to! :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:45 pm

The nearside mirror is the part of any halflaner that scares me most. Few of them actually have a clue where the corners are let alone the protrusions.

I congratulate the rider for his/her civic mindedness in reducing risk for other riders.
Annnnnnd I'm expecting to be flamed for condoning acts of assault against poor defenceless heavy machinery in the hands of incompetent operators.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:13 am

Mulger bill wrote:I congratulate the rider for his/her civic mindedness in reducing risk for other riders.
I have little doubt the rider is appreciative of your congratulations. :mrgreen: :wink:
Mulger bill wrote:The nearside mirror is the part of any halflaner that scares me most. Few of them actually have a clue where the corners are let alone the protrusions.
Yes. And I would suggest that if any part of a heavy vehicle is within arms reach of a cyclists while they are riding at pace then the heavy vehicle is too close. It would be great to see a law explicitly allowing such "readjustment" of wing mirrors by cyclists as a safety measure.

As it happens though, with the way our laws are currently interpreted by our constabulary, the cyclists was the one committing the more egregious and more clearly punishable offense in this instance. :roll: Had a police car been following or even been the vehicle in question then the cyclist would have difficulty defending his actions. After wasn't this a clear case of assault against a poor defenseless motor vehicle by an evil cyclist?

This is an sad state of affairs.

Small ring

Postby Small ring » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:13 am

I saw a bloke with an upturned icecream tub for a helmut he was in a suit

Ruckednee

Postby Ruckednee » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:31 am

Small ring wrote:I saw a bloke with an upturned icecream tub for a helmut he was in a suit
As long as it had an Aus Standards sticker inside it - all good [WINKING FACE]

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:23 am

Ruckednee wrote:
Small ring wrote:I saw a bloke with an upturned icecream tub for a helmut he was in a suit
As long as it had an Aus Standards sticker inside it - all good [WINKING FACE]
Having eaten home brand ice creams on occasion, I don't think there is an Australian standard for ice cream. :?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.